Lucy on the Radio

Lucy on the Radio

The Wonder Show

I found 10 of these episodes online recently and just started to listen to them. Here is a link for more information about the show itself.

http://www.lucyfan.com/wondershow.html

Gale sounds so young here, it took me a minute to catch on that it was him. Lucy also does too. I’ve being listening this on my commute and today’s unscripted topic was “should women work outside the home”. I also am finding it interesting the references to TV, being 1938 and TV so far out from being a common medium.

General radio question:

I’ve listened to a lot of My Favorite Husband lately. I’ve only seen a few pictures of the stage where they did the show and never have seen a radio broadcast staged (in current time, not in 1948 as my parents were not even alive yet.) My question is how much acting really goes on. I know many were done on a stage with an audience, but actors were able to have their script in hand. Sound effects were done by a foley man in his own portion of the stage. What I want to know is how did you kiss someone? Did you share a mic and really kiss them, just make a sound like you did, are you making out with the back of your hand? I’m thinking there has to be something going on for these types of scenes since you are trying to play to an audience to get their reaction.

Suspense:

Does anyone have a full list of episodes Lucy was on. I have the following, is this complete?

Red Headed Woman

Early to Death

A Shroud for Sarah

A Little Piece of Rope

The Ten Grand

Dime A Dance

Lucy on the Radio

The Wonder Show

I found 10 of these episodes online recently and just started to listen to them. Here is a link for more information about the show itself.

Gale sounds so young here, it took me a minute to catch on that it was him. Lucy also does too. I’ve being listening this on my commute and today’s unscripted topic was “should women work outside the home”. I also am finding it interesting the references to TV, being 1938 and TV so far out from being a common medium.

General radio question:

I’ve listened to a lot of My Favorite Husband lately. I’ve only seen a few pictures of the stage where they did the show and never have seen a radio broadcast staged (in current time, not in 1948 as my parents were not even alive yet.) My question is how much acting really goes on. I know many were done on a stage with an audience, but actors were able to have their script in hand. Sound effects were done by a foley man in his own portion of the stage. What I want to know is how did you kiss someone? Did you share a mic and really kiss them, just make a sound like you did, are you making out with the back of your hand? I’m thinking there has to be something going on for these types of scenes since you are trying to play to an audience to get their reaction.

Suspense:

Does anyone have a full list of episodes Lucy was on. I have the following, is this complete?

Red Headed Woman

Early to Death

A Shroud for Sarah

A Little Piece of Rope

The Ten Grand

Dime A Dance

Yes, that is all of Lucy's Suspense episodes. I had a thread on The Wonder Show several months ago on here, all of the surviving episodes can be heard and downloaded at archive.org

Nearly all oldtime radio was acted live over the air with a studio audience. The cast always had their scripts at hand and read directly from it. I seriously doubt the cast ever physically kissed when their scripts had the characters kiss, all of the filmed footage of radio shows I've seen the actors only occasionally even look up from their scripts to glance at the other actor. I would guess they simply made a Dinah Shoresque "mmm" sound to suggest a kiss.

• 1 month later...

I’ve been listening to a lot of My Favorite Husband lately on my work commute. Amazing how commercials from over 60 years ago still make you want to buy Jello. I also get a kick out of how Jello is described. It’s usually gay and sparkling, but one I heard last week made me laugh when it was described as “a gay rainbow of flavors”. I know what is on my menu for my next pride weekend bash.

I was listening to Liz and the Green Wig last week. George is going over Liz’s household expenses. As he mentions each category, he comes to one and asks ‘What’s GTL”. It meant Guilding the Lilly, but I shouted out Gym, Tan, Laundry. Maybe Liz has been spending too much time on the Jersey Shore.

I was listening to Liz and the Green Wig last week. George is going over Liz’s household expenses. As he mentions each category, he comes to one and asks ‘What’s GTL”. It meant Guilding the Lilly, but I shouted out Gym, Tan, Laundry. Maybe Liz has been spending too much time on the Jersey Shore.

Always ahead of her time! ;) Actually, though I've got a pretty good idea, would love to know what she'd think of the current state of television, over-saturated as it is with Kardashians, Fashion Police, Jersey Shore-ers and the like....and for the piece de resistance...now Mama Kardashian will soon have her own talk show -- would someone hand me a barf bag, please?? UGH!!! :viv2:

I’ve been listening to a lot of My Favorite Husband lately on my work commute. Amazing how commercials from over 60 years ago still make you want to buy Jello. I also get a kick out of how Jello is described. It’s usually gay and sparkling, but one I heard last week made me laugh when it was described as “a gay rainbow of flavors”. I know what is on my menu for my next pride weekend bash.

Oh I love the early episodes that call them the "Gay, sophisticated Mr. & Mrs. Cugat".

Or later on "The New gay Family Series". Someone could seriously dub Bob LeMond over the intro to Modern Family or The New Normal :)

• 2 weeks later...

Lucy on the Radio

The Wonder Show

General radio question:

Suspense:

Red Headed Woman

Early to Death

A Shroud for Sarah

A Little Piece of Rope

The Ten Grand

Dime A Dance

WOW! I must have overlooked this thread....thanks for it. Any idea where I can get the dates these were aired?

Thanks, also, if you do.

Archived