The Great Race (1965)

Lucyilove

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread yet on Vivian's most famous non-Lucy credit, Blake Edwards' THE GREAT RACE from 1965, starring Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis, and Natalie Wood in which Viv played a major second lead. This movie used to run yearly on our local "movie slot" (two hours where a local station declined the network's programs in that period or moved them elsewhere in the schedule so they could have a two-hour prime time movie with all local commercials, don't know how common that was back then but one channel did it in each city I lived in as a kid) back in the 70's and my family watched it every year and loved it. Didn't realize at the time it was a spoof of silent movies with pie fights and mustauche-twirling villains (Lemmon) and also didn't remember until just looking at the credits the supporting cast was filled with well-known tv faces: Peter Falk, Keenan Wynn, Ross Martin, Dorothy Provine, Denver Pyle, Hal Smith, Larry Storch, Arthur O'Connell. I do remember years later looking at Vivian's credits and was surprised how few movies she made though as she was terrific in this and of course in her tv work. I haven't seen this movie in over 30 years and haven't run into in stores, it is available on dvd, just have never got around to ordering yet.

• Like 1

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread yet on Vivian's most famous non-Lucy credit, Blake Edwards' THE GREAT RACE from 1965, starring Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis, and Natalie Wood in which Viv played a major second lead. This movie used to run yearly on our local "movie slot" (two hours where a local station declined the network's programs in that period or moved them elsewhere in the schedule so they could have a two-hour prime time movie with all local commercials, don't know how common that was back then but one channel did it in each city I lived in as a kid) back in the 70's and my family watched it every year and loved it. Didn't realize at the time it was a spoof of silent movies with pie fights and mustauche-twirling villains (Lemmon) and also didn't remember until just looking at the credits the supporting cast was filled with well-known tv faces: Peter Falk, Keenan Wynn, Ross Martin, Dorothy Provine, Denver Pyle, Hal Smith, Larry Storch, Arthur O'Connell. I do remember years later looking at Vivian's credits and was surprised how few movies she made though as she was terrific in this and of course in her tv work. I haven't seen this movie in over 30 years and haven't run into in stores, it is available on dvd, just have never got around to ordering yet.

I have the dvd, but never watched it, have seen it and it ain't that "great", bought it for Viv the way i bought A Wedding for Desi jr and The Escape Artist for Desi sr and on and on.

• 1 month later...