The Great Race (1965)

Lucyilove

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread yet on Vivian's most famous non-Lucy credit, Blake Edwards' THE GREAT RACE from 1965, starring Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis, and Natalie Wood in which Viv played a major second lead. This movie used to run yearly on our local "movie slot" (two hours where a local station declined the network's programs in that period or moved them elsewhere in the schedule so they could have a two-hour prime time movie with all local commercials, don't know how common that was back then but one channel did it in each city I lived in as a kid) back in the 70's and my family watched it every year and loved it. Didn't realize at the time it was a spoof of silent movies with pie fights and mustauche-twirling villains (Lemmon) and also didn't remember until just looking at the credits the supporting cast was filled with well-known tv faces: Peter Falk, Keenan Wynn, Ross Martin, Dorothy Provine, Denver Pyle, Hal Smith, Larry Storch, Arthur O'Connell. I do remember years later looking at Vivian's credits and was surprised how few movies she made though as she was terrific in this and of course in her tv work. I haven't seen this movie in over 30 years and haven't run into in stores, it is available on dvd, just have never got around to ordering yet.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread yet on Vivian's most famous non-Lucy credit, Blake Edwards' THE GREAT RACE from 1965, starring Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis, and Natalie Wood in which Viv played a major second lead. This movie used to run yearly on our local "movie slot" (two hours where a local station declined the network's programs in that period or moved them elsewhere in the schedule so they could have a two-hour prime time movie with all local commercials, don't know how common that was back then but one channel did it in each city I lived in as a kid) back in the 70's and my family watched it every year and loved it. Didn't realize at the time it was a spoof of silent movies with pie fights and mustauche-twirling villains (Lemmon) and also didn't remember until just looking at the credits the supporting cast was filled with well-known tv faces: Peter Falk, Keenan Wynn, Ross Martin, Dorothy Provine, Denver Pyle, Hal Smith, Larry Storch, Arthur O'Connell. I do remember years later looking at Vivian's credits and was surprised how few movies she made though as she was terrific in this and of course in her tv work. I haven't seen this movie in over 30 years and haven't run into in stores, it is available on dvd, just have never got around to ordering yet.

I have the dvd, but never watched it, have seen it and it ain't that "great", bought it for Viv the way i bought A Wedding for Desi jr and The Escape Artist for Desi sr and on and on.

• 1 month later...

Archived