Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center 'Plans'

I have added the following to the chronology. Hope Lucille's fans over here will find it interesting. Perhaps 'someone' is thinking along the lines of saluting the legacy of Lucille and Desi year-round, as well as making the Center a 'fun place' to visit on a continuing basis.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Lucy-Desi Center Plans Halloween Party - “The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center is hosting a Halloween Happening Spook-tacular for adults, October 30, in the Tropicana Room of the Desilu Playhouse, since the characters in ('I Love Lucy') were always dressing up,†says Bill Stevenson, Center board member. “Vintage Lucy episodes will play, and those choosing to wear costumes will be judged; tickets, $15.00, include food and drink; a 'cash bar'; a tour of the Playhouse, as well as ending the evening with a showing of Lucille Ball film, Lured, which features, co-star, Boris Karloff,†published this date in 2010.

There's no way I could make it, but it does sound like a lot of fun! Definitely like the idea of having events more than twice a year! Maybe the Museum is finally in capable and creative hands??

I'm so glad the Center's doing this. One of the things Corie wanted to do when she was ED was to have some events (perhaps along these lines) throughout the year. (Remember the Valentine's Day event planned for February 2010?) It's nice to know this is still being done.

I don't know if I'll be able to make it or not, but we'll see.

I hope they continue to give some advanced notice of these events so that us "out-of-towners" who want to attend can do so but require some advance notice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As I mentioned, I attended the Lucy-Desi "Spooktacular" this evening, and had a very nice time. The event was held in the Tropicanna Room, and included a buffet dinner while watching "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein." While the buffet dinner was not "professionally" catered, it included hor de orveres (veggie trays, fruit trays, crackers, soup, meat balls, and maccaroni and cheese) with the main course consisting of pizza, cheeseburgers, and hamburgers. Dessert was cupcakes and cookies. Beverages included witch's brew (aka sherbert punch), soda, water, and coffee. There was also a wet bar of wine and beer ($2 per glass/bottle). They also had a goodie bag of candy for each attendee, and there was a raffle for a basket of a bottle of wine and two Lucy-Desi wine glasses.

Following dinner there was a screening of Lured in the back theater in the Museum. There were approximately 32 people in attendance.

The Center's planning a Valentine's Day event for February 2011 (tentatively scheduled for February 12) with a romantic theme, but slightly different plans from last year. Mark you calendars and stay tuned for more details.

MJF

Wow! It sounds like a great time, and better attended then the last seasonal event! Were there a lot of new staff faces?

(Also I had never heard of sherbet punch until you mentioned it. So I googled it. Now let's never speak of it again. LOL)

As for new staff faces, there were no new - Debbie, Sharon, and Su were the only staff members in attendance. Bill (I don't recall his last name), one of the Board members, and his family were there and were the primary volunteers, and were instrumental (in addition to the staff) in planning and implementing the event. As far as I know, they're still looking for a new Executive Director, but I haven't heard anything about it one way or the other.

MJF

• 3 months later...

The Center's new -long planned and long anticipated - web site is now up and running! Check it out at www.lucy-desi.com. It's the same URL, but newly designed. (The New Online Gift Shop is coming soon.)

Mary Jane Fan

Excellent! The new site is much more userfriendly than the last one!Thanks, MaryJaneFan! ;)

Archived