New AUDIOBOOK - "I Love Lucy: The Untold Story"

Gregg O.

Just released (for audio download):

51Znpw6JhDL._SS500_.jpg

Your exclusive backstage pass to the creation of I Love Lucy:

• I Love Lucy: Behind the Scenes, by Jess Oppenheimer with Gregg Oppenheimer, narrated by Larry Dobkin - Winner, Listen Up Awards Best Pop Culture Audiobook of the Year (based on Oppenheimer's memoir, "Laughs, Luck...and Lucy."
  • Full-cast performance of Gregg Oppenheimer's play I Love Lucy: The Untold Story
  • 15-minute Bonus Track: never-before-released 1961 interview with Jess Oppenheimer about the creation of I Love Lucy

All royalties from this edition benefit the Motion Picture & Television Fund - caring for those in the entertainment community who are in need.

"A true genius. I owe so much to his creativity and friendship."

—Lucille Ball

Jess Oppenheimer, "the brains" behind I Love Lucy, gives us an insider's view of this groundbreaking show, generously interspersed with recordings of classic Lucy radio and TV comedy performances - including her famous "Vitameatavegamin" routine.

Oppenheimer weaves a wonderfully entertaining tale of the creation of this landmark series and its evolution from Lucy's hit radio sitcom, My Favorite Husband. Lucy aficionados will delight in his personal accounts of stars like Desi Arnaz, William Frawley, Vivian Vance, and of course, Lucille Ball.

dobkin.jpg

Narrated by three-time I Love Lucy veteran Larry Dobkin (pictured above with Lucy in "Paris at Last!"), and featuring comedy performances by Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, William Frawley, Vivian Vance, Gale Gordon, Bea Benaderet (My Favorite Husband, I Love Lucy, Petticoat Junction, The Flintstones), Frank Nelson (I Love Lucy, The Jack Benny Program), and many more! Plus a never-before-released sound snippet from Lucy's performance at the farewell party she threw for Jess Oppenheimer at her home in Beverly Hills in 1956.

Oppenheimer's reminiscences come to life in his son Gregg's new radio play, I Love Lucy: The Untold Story. Recorded on I Love Lucy's 60th anniversary (10/15/11), starring such talents as Dick Van Patten (Eight Is Enough), Phil Proctor (Firesign Theatre), Amy Pietz (Caroline in the City), Richard Herd (Seinfeld), and I Love Lucy veterans Janet Waldo ("Peggy Dawson", the bobby-soxer with a crush on Ricky Ricardo) and Shirley Mitchell (Lucy Ricardo's girlfriend "Marion Strong"), and I Love Lucy film editor Dann Cahn in a cameo as I Love Lucy pilot director Ralph Levy). Click here to hear Dann's cameo, in a scene which takes place in Studio A of CBS Columbia Square in Hollywood on March 2, 1951. Also appearing in the scene are Phil Proctor as both Walter Winchell and Desi Arnaz, and Tom Hatten as CBS exec Hal Hudson.

©2012 Gregg Oppenheimer (P)2012 Gregg Oppenheimer

What the Critics Say

A charming and interesting memoir of the creation of the famous I Love Lucy TV show…. Oppenheimer, the program's creator and producer, uses a number of radio and TV sound bites to supplement his story. Dobkin naturally and effortlessly reads this story of how Oppenheimer began writing for Lucy while she was still performing on radio and then switched to the new medium of television. His voice is always clear, never hurried, and quite pleasing. (Audiofile)

Fans of “I Love Lucy” will enjoy this fascinating look at the making of the series by its producer and head writer…. Plenty of amusing anecdotes about the actors and their antics at work. What is most impressive about this audio is Larry Dobkin’s narration. Listening to his gruff but affectionate tone, chuckling reminiscently at certain memories, one would never know it wasn’t Oppenheimer himself. (Billboard)

Now available for download on iTunes, at Amazon.com, and at Audible.com.

Click here to hear a sample.

51Znpw6JhDL._SS500_.jpg

• I Love Lucy: Behind the Scenes, by Jess Oppenheimer with Gregg Oppenheimer, narrated by Larry Dobkin - Winner, Listen Up Awards Best Pop Culture Audiobook of the Year (based on Oppenheimer's memoir, "Laughs, Luck...and Lucy."
  • Full-cast performance of Gregg Oppenheimer's play I Love Lucy: The Untold Story
  • 15-minute Bonus Track: never-before-released 1961 interview with Jess Oppenheimer about the creation of I Love Lucy

All royalties from this edition benefit the Motion Picture & Television Fund - caring for those in the entertainment community who are in need.

—Lucille Ball

Jess Oppenheimer, "the brains" behind I Love Lucy, gives us an insider's view of this groundbreaking show, generously interspersed with recordings of classic Lucy radio and TV comedy performances - including her famous "Vitameatavegamin" routine.

Oppenheimer weaves a wonderfully entertaining tale of the creation of this landmark series and its evolution from Lucy's hit radio sitcom, My Favorite Husband. Lucy aficionados will delight in his personal accounts of stars like Desi Arnaz, William Frawley, Vivian Vance, and of course, Lucille Ball.

dobkin.jpg

Narrated by three-time I Love Lucy veteran Larry Dobkin (pictured above with Lucy in "Paris at Last!"), and featuring comedy performances by Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, William Frawley, Vivian Vance, Gale Gordon, Bea Benaderet (My Favorite Husband, I Love Lucy, Petticoat Junction, The Flintstones), Frank Nelson (I Love Lucy, The Jack Benny Program), and many more! Plus a never-before-released sound snippet from Lucy's performance at the farewell party she threw for Jess Oppenheimer at her home in Beverly Hills in 1956.

Oppenheimer's reminiscences come to life in his son Gregg's new radio play, I Love Lucy: The Untold Story. Recorded on I Love Lucy's 60th anniversary (10/15/11), starring such talents as Dick Van Patten (Eight Is Enough), Phil Proctor (Firesign Theatre), Amy Pietz (Caroline in the City), Richard Herd (Seinfeld), and I Love Lucy veterans Janet Waldo ("Peggy Dawson", the bobby-soxer with a crush on Ricky Ricardo) and Shirley Mitchell (Lucy Ricardo's girlfriend "Marion Strong"), and I Love Lucy film editor Dann Cahn in a cameo as I Love Lucy pilot director Ralph Levy). Click here to hear Dann's cameo, in a scene which takes place in Studio A of CBS Columbia Square in Hollywood on March 2, 1951. Also appearing in the scene are Phil Proctor as both Walter Winchell and Desi Arnaz, and Tom Hatten as CBS exec Hal Hudson.

What the Critics Say

A charming and interesting memoir of the creation of the famous I Love Lucy TV show…. Oppenheimer, the program's creator and producer, uses a number of radio and TV sound bites to supplement his story. Dobkin naturally and effortlessly reads this story of how Oppenheimer began writing for Lucy while she was still performing on radio and then switched to the new medium of television. His voice is always clear, never hurried, and quite pleasing. (Audiofile)

Fans of “I Love Lucy” will enjoy this fascinating look at the making of the series by its producer and head writer…. Plenty of amusing anecdotes about the actors and their antics at work. What is most impressive about this audio is Larry Dobkin’s narration. Listening to his gruff but affectionate tone, chuckling reminiscently at certain memories, one would never know it wasn’t Oppenheimer himself. (Billboard)

Sounds just wunnerful, is this different from the book which was excellent. The true genius behind the show and one of the few to KEEP his shares in the series thereby making quite a bundle for himself and his heirs.

51Znpw6JhDL._SS500_.jpg

—Lucille Ball

dobkin.jpg

What the Critics Say

Thanks for letting us know Gregg, loved the book and so happy to know their is an official audio recording of your radio show.

Archived