TV Hall of Fame

I hadn’t watched Lucy’s induction into the TV Hall of Fame from 1984 in a long time and thought I’d look it up on YouTube last night. I forgot how good this was. I have to say the gown Lucy wore that night was, I think, the best she looked at an awards ceremony in the 80’s (including the Oscars). The little bow belt at the waist gave her a nice defined waist, and it was so big and fabulous. Here hair was also great that night and made her look younger and so angelic.

I think this has got to be the most emotional acceptance of an award she ever got. After Lucie’s song they cut to her and she is just a mess of tears (even Gary is crying). You can tell that she is just an emotional wreck by the time she is at the podium, having to stop in the middle of the speech as she is about ready to lose it again. So nice that Carol was the person to bring her up on stage and such a genuinely sweet embrace between those 2.

Ok enough of my gushing.

Claude tell us again how much you love this.

I hadn’t watched Lucy’s induction into the TV Hall of Fame from 1984 in a long time and thought I’d look it up on YouTube last night. I forgot how good this was. I have to say the gown Lucy wore that night was, I think, the best she looked at an awards ceremony in the 80’s (including the Oscars). The little bow belt at the waist gave her a nice defined waist, and it was so big and fabulous. Here hair was also great that night and made her look younger and so angelic.

I think this has got to be the most emotional acceptance of an award she ever got. After Lucie’s song they cut to her and she is just a mess of tears (even Gary is crying). You can tell that she is just an emotional wreck by the time she is at the podium, having to stop in the middle of the speech as she is about ready to lose it again. So nice that Carol was the person to bring her up on stage and such a genuinely sweet embrace between those 2.

Ok enough of my gushing.

Claude tell us again how much you love this.

Well, it IS one of my all time favorite Lucy things to watch over and over. The black velvet dress is indeed one of my top three outfits on her ever. See the part i always mention when Carol hugs her and that beautiful beeded jacket Carol wears envelops Lucy and it's like SHE's wearing it, reminds me of the Dean Martn one all the time. Yes, although i'm A L W A Y S irritated byt some of the anti Lucy things Lucie has said over the years, everything is forgiven after hearing her do that song tribute to her mom. THE SINGLE BEST THING LUCIE HAS EVER DONE IN HER ENTIRE LIFE. Did you notice asshole jack palance in the audience, the only person not participating in her standing ovation? Due to their run in at Desilu. This was the very first show, Lucy the very first female inductee. The other woman there was accepting for her husband i think. Desi jr looked perfect there too. As for Lucy, she looked old and the crying did not help, but from certain angles, she looks fine, this is afetr all, five years before she died. I like the fact that she's sitting next to CBS honcho William Pailey, and close to Jim Arness of Gunsmoke. She got upset when they said she was the reason Gunsmoke was to be taken off the air, to accomodate HER, she didn't usually go to the press like that, but she loved western and was not about to be blamed for Gunsmoke's demise. As for Mr Pailey, she'd be the first to tell you that CBS's demise happened after he left the company. The head of NBC, the head of CBS, The First Lady of Television, Mr Television Milton Berle, probably the single four most important people television ever honored on one show and what a show it was. Yes, the clips were great, i love looking at the adoring smiles in the audience, the loving looks as she goes up to the podium. Carol to introduce her with those beautiful words, just sensational. Aside from the asswipe palance, nothing at all wrong or not perfect about this tribute and this show.

One of the best award presentations to her. The moment she almost breaks down when she says 'I wish a lot of them could be here tonight.' I'm sure some have to do with death like Bill, Viv, and DeDe, or her creative teams like Pugh and Carroll, then of course Desi. I love watching her win awards. She is so humble and thankful. People who think she is a diva need to watch her acceptance speeches. She is the opposite of that. An extraordinary woman.

Claude you are right, when you stop and think of all the people who were inducted with her in that first ever ceremony that is a very impressive lot and being the only woman is amazing too. Heck the man who actually created television, Sarnoff, was one of those along with the 2 long time heads of networks.

I don’t think Lucy looked old here, I think she looked better here than in most of her other 80’s appearances, and that is before she even stood up in that gown. She should have worn gowns like that more often in the 80’s and less pantsuits. God I hate pantsuits on anyone unless you are a woman who is 5’10 and are 110 pounds and they are not award show appropriate. I’ll have to go back and watch the hug again for the jacket as I was too caught up in the moment. Carol and Lucy do this thing I have always liked that Lucy does is hug the person, pull back and look at them and then hug them again.

I always liked how when Lucy gave an acceptance speech she never pulled out anything written. Not that she didn’t think of something to say for the ones she knew she was getting. Those Emmy acceptance speeches (since they came as total surprises) are so off the cuff but so genuine. If people gave speeches like that in award shows now, maybe I would not have fast forwarded through them all at the Golden Globes the other night. The part where she talks about not doing it alone and all the people she wishes could be there is very much like the Ed Sullivan Show in the 50’s. Back then when Lucy got up to speak and is thanking everyone that works on the show, that’s the part where she starts to get emotional, and this is when they were all still alive and working together every day. I really liked how they made mention of her mother in the part where Carol was talking. I think that seeing those clips are what really made her remember 2 very important woman who she very much missed and was recalling in that moment.

Big time agree on the NO diva moments in those award acceptances. I also find it very interesting that in those Emmy speeches she might mention a few people, mainly writers, but not like today when it’s a long list of industry people who get thanked. This speech in particular she really acknowledges the American public. How many people today do you really see thank their fans unless it’s something like a People’s Choice or MTV award? Lucy never set out to be famous and I think it’s always amazing to see her reaction to awards, standing ovations, etc… because I think she knew how famous she was, but it’s almost like she couldn't believe it. She just was working and doing something that she loved and was happy that it brought joy to so many.

Claude you are right, when you stop and think of all the people who were inducted with her in that first ever ceremony that is a very impressive lot and being the only woman is amazing too. Heck the man who actually created television, Sarnoff, was one of those along with the 2 long time heads of networks.

YES, THIS IS ONE INSTANCE, WHERE SHE GOT THE PROPER RECOGNITION AT THE EXACT RIGHT TIME OF HER LIFE AND CAREER. Remember how in late interviews she'd say she wanted to exit the world in five years, as she felt she had no more worthy work offered her i guess, so this one happened exactly five years before she did pass away. Man, she never lost that great timing of hers huh?

I don’t think Lucy looked old here, I think she looked better here than in most of her other 80’s appearances, and that is before she even stood up in that gown. She should have worn gowns like that more often in the 80’s and less pantsuits. God I hate pantsuits on anyone unless you are a woman who is 5’10 and are 110 pounds and they are not award show appropriate. I’ll have to go back and watch the hug again for the jacket as I was too caught up in the moment. Carol and Lucy do this thing I have always liked that Lucy does is hug the person, pull back and look at them and then hug them again.

Disagree, she looked Regal, exquisitely charming and meriting the award in every way, deserving of all the adulation, but we LEOS hate getting anything where we don't know what's going to happen and the stress is there on her face, pleasant stress mind you in that Lucie song, grateful stress in seeing her kids doing well, especially Desi jr looking like a million bucks when she's just gone through hell with him and his drug and booze addiction . . . but she was tired, very emotional, a perfect example of her undiva like behavior is the fact that she always thinks of the others that were there with her at the time and remembers well each and everyone of their contributions to her success. Remember when she saw Jessica Tandy and Hume Cronyn at the Kennedy Center Honors and figured Desi should have been honored with her also, typical Lucy. Now the pantsuit thing is really an issue here, but give her a break, at least she did not wear one here, at the TV Guide award thing, fine, but not here. My mom used to H A T E it, as did I, when she'd come out at an award show or talk show in one of those damned pant suits, BUT, she was like Hepburn in that sense, wanting to show her strengths in a man's world by wearing them, as Secretary of State Hillary Clinton did for years also. It's different if they're incredibly elegant as that BEIGE one was on the Good Morning America interviews for her Museum of Television and Radio tribute and i think one of the Joan Rivers interviews. Listen, i've been watching her every move my entire life and i N E V E R noticed that hugging thing till YOU brought it up, but you're right, i remember her looking back at Carol while still holding her. I will be looking for that from now on, thanks to you and Annaleigh talking about it. As for Lucy looking better, check out her headlining that special tribute to Bob Hope for the arts center bearing his name, don't know what the hell they put on that lens but Lucy should have bought the stuff for any future appearance of hers.

[

I always liked how when Lucy gave an acceptance speech she never pulled out anything written. Not that she didn’t think of something to say for the ones she knew she was getting. Those Emmy acceptance speeches (since they came as total surprises) are so off the cuff but so genuine. If people gave speeches like that in award shows now, maybe I would not have fast forwarded through them all at the Golden Globes the other night. The part where she talks about not doing it alone and all the people she wishes could be there is very much like the Ed Sullivan Show in the 50’s. Back then when Lucy got up to speak and is thanking everyone that works on the show, that’s the part where she starts to get emotional, and this is when they were all still alive and working together every day. I really liked how they made mention of her mother in the part where Carol was talking. I think that seeing those clips are what really made her remember 2 very important woman who she very much missed and was recalling in that moment.

So true, i never thought of that but you're right, that WOULD be a very emotional moment for Lucy, hearing her mom mentionned as she had always been such a huge supported of her and her career, at the time, i thought how odd, HER MOM, WAS WITH HER AT THE TIME . . . but i guess it was for Lucy alone. Yes Carol told THAT story again, but she did better with her two other great salvos . . . I WISH I WERE HALF THE WOMAN SHE IS and acknowledging YOU ARE DISSOLVED RIGHT NOW, I WISH ONE DAY MY DAUGHTERS DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT FOR ME.

Big time agree on the NO diva moments in those award acceptances. I also find it very interesting that in those Emmy speeches she might mention a few people, mainly writers, but not like today when it’s a long list of industry people who get thanked. This speech in particular she really acknowledges the American public. How many people today do you really see thank their fans unless it’s something like a People’s Choice or MTV award? Lucy never set out to be famous and I think it’s always amazing to see her reaction to awards, standing ovations, etc… because I think she knew how famous she was, but it’s almost like she couldn't believe it. She just was working and doing something that she loved and was happy that it brought joy to so many.

Yeah, some people have talked about that,even Desi, saying she would divide the room in sections and go to each section and acknowledge their adulation and applause. What you're talking about is even more evident at the Kennedy Center honors, she stands and looks incredulously, FOR ME? All this, for me? Just unbelievable. And of course we all know it came at the absolute perfect time, just after the cancellation of her show and the death of Desi.

Archived