Father Takes a Wife (1941)

Lucyilove

FATHER TAKES A WIFE is my favorite of Desi's movies away from Lucy, a cute if slight little comedy about a tycoon (Adolphe Menjou) who marries a veteran glamour girl (played by the great Gloria Swanson) who finds himself growing more exasperated by the day by her young musical protege (Desi). Desi is quite good in this, endearing but conceited, non-predatory but knowing how to make things work for him. This one used to play on TCM quite a bit, don't know if it has of late as I recorded it on dvd years ago so if I want to see it I just play my own copy. I'm not sure but this may be Desi's only Lucyless comedy, the rest I think are action pictures and musicals and some of them appear to be quite obscure and rarely seen since the 1940's.

FATHER TAKES A WIFE is my favorite of Desi's movies away from Lucy, a cute if slight little comedy about a tycoon (Adolphe Menjou) who marries a veteran glamour girl (played by the great Gloria Swanson) who finds himself growing more exasperated by the day by her young musical protege (Desi). Desi is quite good in this, endearing but conceited, non-predatory but knowing how to make things work for him. This one used to play on TCM quite a bit, don't know if it has of late as I recorded it on dvd years ago so if I want to see it I just play my own copy. I'm not sure but this may be Desi's only Lucyless comedy, the rest I think are action pictures and musicals and some of them appear to be quite obscure and rarely seen since the 1940's.

Oh yeah, i think they showed a scene from this one on some special, maybe The Home Movies.

Archived