Roxbury --Street of the Stars

vivfantoo*

I knew that Jimmy Stewart & Jack Benny were Lucy's neighbors, but didn't realize how many other famous folks lived on the same street. This page lists several of them:

http://www.seeing-st...buryDrive.shtml

If I had a dollar for every time I went to that particular site. Remember now that not all of the stars lived there at the one time, but at various periods over the years.

• 1 month later...

I think that thanks to the internet, I have been on that street and at her former home more often than Lucy ever was. Can never get enough of it, such a beautiful mansion!

Ooh! A strike through. That's a new one for you, Claude.

I think that thanks to the internet, I have been on that street and at her former home more often than Lucy ever was. Can never get enough of it, such a beautiful mansion!

Sadly though, while still a stunning gorgeous street and neighborhood, the house looks little like it did in its former glory.

Sadly though, while still a stunning gorgeous street and neighborhood, the house looks little like it did in its former glory.

Oh I know, used to be this big mansion, remember how it looked in that I Love Lucy scene and that was just from the side. It was so impressive, all the more with that beautiful landscaping. Now it's this ugly modern box of a house, and the landscaping sucks too, although it is better now compared to the way it was when first done. People used to call that street the starriest in Beverly Hills, it was lush and opulent, not gated mansions, but huge colossal homes, all different, but they all looked so great together, round street, again HUGE trees.

Oh I know, used to be this big mansion, remember how it looked in that I Love Lucy scene and that was just from the side. It was so impressive, all the more with that beautiful landscaping. Now it's this ugly modern box of a house, and the landscaping sucks too, although it is better now compared to the way it was when first done. People used to call that street the starriest in Beverly Hills, it was lush and opulent, not gated mansions, but huge colossal homes, all different, but they all looked so great together, round street, again HUGE trees.

Hell, to stars houses today they probably think these are ranch houses!

People used to call that street the starriest in Beverly Hills, it was lush and opulent, not gated mansions, but huge colossal homes, all different, but they all looked so great together, round street, again HUGE trees.

While that's true, it's not "unique" just to Roxbury, the entire area is breathtakingly beautiful, lush with trees, clean enough to eat off the streets/sidewalks (where there are sidewalks!), etc. etc. Amazingly so! :D

While that's true, it's not "unique" just to Roxbury, the entire area is breathtakingly beautiful, lush with trees, clean enough to eat off the streets/sidewalks (where there are sidewalks!), etc. etc. Amazingly so! :D

Oh I know, I've seen most of the others too, but this was the greatest assemblage of famous names in the one small area or street. And with SOME of them, the improvements have been awesome, both the Stewart and Benny homes look much better now.

The thing with Lucy's magnificent home is that when you looked at it from the front, you couldn't even see how long it went in the back, they added so much to it, from the original home I mean, the Benny home is the only one of the three that looks anything like it used to. But Lucy's looks so great in the back that they did not alter that part very much, wonder if that small tennis court was there in Lucy's day? Maybe as she played and eventually Desi jr also, maybe it was.

Tennis court in Lucy's or Jack's? I saw no evidence of a tennis court.

Google it, it's right there in the corner but quite small. It's at the very end of the property, on the left if you're looking at it from the front. Next to the building I think was the pool cabano, which I used to think was the guesthouse, but now I know, from Tannen's book, was closer to the pool and an extension of the house.

Archived