Pick up shots

I am watching some of the first episodes from Season 6 of ILL and am noticing a lot of pickup shots. Always noticable as the lighting seems slightly different. I don't remember many pickup shots after season 1. They look better than the season one ones, and better than even the season one LS ones. I think they start to disappear again as the season moves on.

I am watching some of the first episodes from Season 6 of ILL and am noticing a lot of pickup shots. Always noticable as the lighting seems slightly different. I don't remember many pickup shots after season 1. They look better than the season one ones, and better than even the season one LS ones. I think they start to disappear again as the season moves on.

I think so too, hard to miss, they are so obviously done later and do not follow any sequence. I can understand when a dog is involved, but did you notice that BIT about him running away when she takes him out of the flower bed and he runs away so Lucy ad libs to little Ricky go and get him before he runs out into the street? I had noticed when the obedience school part played that he's on the couch but the hiding behind a pillow BIT was added on afterwards.

Isn't that when Karl Freund had left as cinematographer and was replaced? I think that may be partly the reason. And yes, it's always pretty obvious when they did inserts or pick-ups -- the lighting and often the angles of the shots totally gave it away. On the other hand, had they not done those pick-ups in the first season, we would never have had some of those gorgeous and amazing closeups of you-know-who! ;)

But you'd think it would easy to replicate the lighting and integrate the audio better so the shots didn't seem so obvious. I can excuse "Lucy thinks Ricky is Going to Murder" because it's so early on, but there's no excuse for the 6th season inserts or the ones from the first few "Lucy Show"s. I attended the LWL filming of the unaired "Lucy Buys Curtis Out" (not the title, I know) and watched them do the pick up shot of Gale Gordon blowing bubbles.

By the way, if they weren't going to use "Audition", I would have gone with "Be A Pal" as the debut show instead of "Wants to Go to Nightclub".

And off-topic, but I agree with choices for most of the season openers of all of Lucy's series except for the following. 4th season: "Mr and Mrs" instead of "Business Manager". 2nd season LS: "Locked in Vault" instead of "Cleopatra". 6th season HL: "Cops and robbers" instead of "Danny Thomas".

Isn't that when Karl Freund had left as cinematographer and was replaced? I think that may be partly the reason. And yes, it's always pretty obvious when they did inserts or pick-ups -- the lighting and often the angles of the shots totally gave it away. On the other hand, had they not done those pick-ups in the first season, we would never have had some of those gorgeous and amazing closeups of you-know-who! ;)

But you'd think it would easy to replicate the lighting and integrate the audio better so the shots didn't seem so obvious. I can excuse "Lucy thinks Ricky is Going to Murder" because it's so early on, but there's no excuse for the 6th season inserts or the ones from the first few "Lucy Show"s. I attended the LWL filming of the unaired "Lucy Buys Curtis Out" (not the title, I know) and watched them do the pick up shot of Gale Gordon blowing bubbles.

By the way, if they weren't going to use "Audition", I would have gone with "Be A Pal" as the debut show instead of "Wants to Go to Nightclub".

And off-topic, but I agree with choices for most of the season openers of all of Lucy's series except for the following. 4th season: "Mr and Mrs" instead of "Business Manager". 2nd season LS: "Locked in Vault" instead of "Cleopatra". 6th season HL: "Cops and robbers" instead of "Danny Thomas".

Worst PICK UP shot of the entire ILL series . . . Lucy tells Ricky she's preggars, and the audience was in tears, as were they, then they show the pick up shot of her nodding YES to him and the rest of the people around her aren't even looking on and look totally disinterested.

Archived