For Cuddles: Doris Day TODAY!

doris-day-today.jpg

Doris Day Today

Doris Day, who turned 89 last April 24, was a special guest at the Nancy for Frank show — that’s Nancy Sinatra for Frank Sinatra — on SiriusXM Radio channel 71. The Doris Day photo above was posted on Nancy for Frank‘s Facebook page and on the Frank Sinatra Family Forum. (See also: Doris Day photo, with furry friend.)

The Doris Day special was aired in two parts in late June 2013. The radio show consisted of Nancy Sinatra chatting with Day, in addition to musical interludes featuring Doris Day songs such as "I’ll String You Along with Me," "But Not for Me," "I’ll See You in My Dreams," and "Hooray for Hollywood," plus two versions of "I Didn’t Know What Time It Was" — one sang by Day, another sang by Frank Sinatra.

Doris Day and Frank Sinatra made only movie together, Gordon Douglas’ 1954 musical drama Young at Heart, which has nothing in common with the 1938 Janet Gaynor / Douglas Fairbanks Jr light comedy The Young in Heart. Instead, the Day-Sinatra star vehicle is a remake of another 1938 movie, Michael Curtiz’s family melodrama Four Daughters, with Day in the old Priscilla Lanerole, and Sinatra as the John Garfield character. (In the remake, the quartet of daughters / sisters was downsized to a trio, with Dorothy Malone and Elisabeth Fraser as Day’s siblings.)

Doris Day’s leading men

Doris Day and Frank Sinatra weren’t exactly a great screen couple. Perhaps that’s why they never made another movie together. (See also: Doris Day on DVD.)

Day’s more frequent leading men were fellow Warner Bros. contract players Jack Carson (Romance on the High Seas, My Dream Is Yours, It’s a Great Feeling), Gordon MacRae (The West Point Story, Starlift, On Moonlight Bay, By the Light of the Silvery Moon, Tea for Two), and Gene Nelson (The West Point Story, Starlift, Lullaby of Broadway, Tea for Two) in the late ’40s / early ’50s; besides fellow Universal contract player Rock Hudson (Pillow Talk, Lover Come Back, Send Me No Flowers) in the late ’50s / early ’60s, and James Garner (Move Over, Darling; The Thrill of It All) also in the early ’60s.

Among Doris Day’s other leading men at various studios were Kirk Douglas(Young Man with a Horn), Howard Keel (Calamity Jane), Robert Cummings (Lucky Me), James Cagney (Love Me or Leave Me), James Stewart (The Man Who Knew Too Much), Louis Jourdan (Julie), Clark Gable (Teacher’s Pet), Richard Widmark (The Tunnel of Love), Jack Lemmon (It Happened to Jane),Cary Grant (That Touch of Mink), Stephen Boyd (Billy Rose’s Jumbo), and Rod Taylor (Do Not Disturb). (See also: Doris Day message to AIDS Lifecycle riders.)

When she was handed the Hollywood Foreign Press Association’s Cecil B. DeMille Award in 1989, Day expressed her wish to return to the big screen — adding that she wouldn’t mind working with DeMille Award presenter Clint Eastwood. That, unfortunately, never came to pass. Day would’ve made a cool space cowgirl in Eastwood’s Space Cowboys. (See also: Doris Day movies.)

Doris Day was nominated for a Best Actress Academy Award for the box-office hitPillow Talk (1959). Day’s last movie was the comedy With Six You Get Eggroll, released in 1968. She lives in Carmel, in northern California. (See also: Doris Day remains Honorary Oscar-less.)

"Today (2013): Doris Day" originally published: Jul 8, 2013

http://www.altfg.com/blog/movie/doris-day-today/

Yeah, let's give her the sunglasses, considering how OLD she is and her reluctance, like so many older stars before her, to be seen by her adoring public in this diminished capacity. I THINK SHE LOOKS SENSATIONAL! She's my third all time fave after Lucy and Meryl. Besides, her kitchen's YELLOW, like Lucy's dining room, so that can be rather bright, hence the sunglasses, LOL! Joey, this is officially my all time favorite NON LUCY post, ever, here or anywhere else. The linked article about the short sightedness of the Academy to reward women as they do men is one o f the best researched and so damn true, it's sickening. They're still give the special lifetime achievement to a man if he doesn't attend but not to this extremely gifted woman.

Yeah, let's give her the sunglasses, considering how OLD she is and her reluctance, like so many older stars before her, to be seen by her adoring public in this diminished capacity. I THINK SHE LOOKS SENSATIONAL! She's my third all time fave after Lucy and Meryl. Besides, her kitchen's YELLOW, like Lucy's dining room, so that can be rather bright, hence the sunglasses, LOL! Joey, this is officially my all time favorite NON LUCY post, ever, here or anywhere else. The linked article about the short sightedness of the Academy to reward women as they do men is one o f the best researched and so damn true, it's sickening. They're still give the special lifetime achievement to a man if he doesn't attend but not to this extremely gifted woman.

You're absolutely right plus she has to deal with these idiotic tabloids that every six months or so (for like the last fifteen years!!) seem to give her a "Doris Day's Sad Last Days" headline, just like they did for Elizabeth Taylor until she finally died like they'd been predicting for decades.

Interesting Meryl is up there in your top three. I don't see how anyone could argue that she's not the greatest film actress we've had of the last 50 years but much as I deeply admire her, can't say that I love her which brings home even the greatest of the contemporary stars can't get into our hearts like the classic era players. I don't know what it was about pre-1960 stars but there was something about them that makes them such enduring giants like Lucy, Marilyn, Doris, Liz, Bette Davis, Barbara Stanwyck, Mae West, Garbo, Garland, Crawford, the Hepburns. As a screen artist, Meryl has topped most of them but our admiration for her is a little more detached. Maybe some of the "diva" types like Streisand and Cher have it with their most intense fan following but not like the pre-60 stars who have it both with their cults AND the general public. Or maybe had it considering the average person now is sadly more interested in some nobody from a reality show than a film great of the past.

You're absolutely right plus she has to deal with these idiotic tabloids that every six months or so (for like the last fifteen years!!) seem to give her a "Doris Day's Sad Last Days" headline, just like they did for Elizabeth Taylor until she finally died like they'd been predicting for decades.

Interesting Meryl is up there in your top three. I don't see how anyone could argue that she's not the greatest film actress we've had of the last 50 years but much as I deeply admire her, can't say that I love her which brings home even the greatest of the contemporary stars can't get into our hearts like the classic era players. I don't know what it was about pre-1960 stars but there was something about them that makes them such enduring giants like Lucy, Marilyn, Doris, Liz, Bette Davis, Barbara Stanwyck, Mae West, Garbo, Garland, Crawford, the Hepburns. As a screen artist, Meryl has topped most of them but our admiration for her is a little more detached. Maybe some of the "diva" types like Streisand and Cher have it with their most intense fan following but not like the pre-60 stars who have it both with their cults AND the general public. Or maybe had it considering the average person now is sadly more interested in some nobody from a reality show than a film great of the past.

Oh my, never thought about that but it's so true. Maybe that's why it took her decades to get that infamous THIRD Oscar when she should have more than Hepburn by now, she IS the greatest living actress E V E R ! I disagree with you about only one thing though, I would KILL to meet her and have a conversation with her as she seems to be the most down to earth celebrity ever, not a DIVA like Davis or Hepburn.

Archived