Baby Jane's 2nd Remake

First Bette and Joan; then the Redgrave sisters and NOW

"WHATEVER HAPPENED TO LITTLE ETHEL?"

After Lucy breaks her leg again, this time by getting herself unstuck from the lotus position, her old pal Ethel travels 3000 miles on a bus (husband Dodds: "Go....GO!!") to nurse her back to health. All goes well until KTTV runs a Lucy marathon and Ethel's "Good Ship Lollipop" is cut from "Ethel Merman and the Boy Scouts Show" in favor of on-camera tributes to the show's star. She snaps and all the pent up resentment of living in Lucy's shadow boils to the surface. She clicks the tv off, flounces out of the room in a huff and returns in Lucy's "Mod Mod" wig and bell-bottoms and proceeds to dance around her captive audience to a 20 minute orchestration of "I Know a Place".

She starts serving her patient nothing but raw oysters. And after Mooney's beloved "Greenback" goes missing, Lucy recoils when she lifts the lid on her lunch tray to discover it and a wee-walk on a plate of nicely arranged tomato slices.

With Lucy out of the way, Ethel decides to revive the act that made her famous at the Albuquerque Little Theater and dons her "Lollipop" Shirley Temple curls and little girl dress, hires a pianist and begins rehearsing the song she used to sing "I'm Named for Sundae by Daddy".

Elvira: Mary Wickes. Edwin Flagg: Gale Gordon. Delia Flagg: Louise Frawley*. Mrs Bates: Doris Singleton. Miss Bates: Cindy Barnes. Flashback scenes: Young Lucy: Pamela Ferdyn Young Ethel: Jeri Weil

*actually Bill Frawley in drag..

First Bette and Joan; then the Redgrave sisters and NOW

"WHATEVER HAPPENED TO LITTLE ETHEL?"

After Lucy breaks her leg again, this time by getting herself unstuck from the lotus position, her old pal Ethel travels 3000 miles on a bus (husband Dodds: "Go....GO!!") to nurse her back to health. All goes well until KTTV runs a Lucy marathon and Ethel's "Good Ship Lollipop" is cut from "Ethel Merman and the Boy Scouts Show" in favor of on-camera tributes to the show's star. She snaps and all the pent up resentment of living in Lucy's shadow boils to the surface. She clicks the tv off, flounces out of the room in a huff and returns in Lucy's "Mod Mod" wig and bell-bottoms and proceeds to dance around her captive audience to a 20 minute orchestration of "I Know a Place".

She starts serving her patient nothing but raw oysters. And after Mooney's beloved "Greenback" goes missing, Lucy recoils when she lifts the lid on her lunch tray to discover it and a wee-walk on a plate of nicely arranged tomato slices.

With Lucy out of the way, Ethel decides to revive the act that made her famous at the Albuquerque Little Theater and dons her "Lollipop" Shirley Temple curls and little girl dress, hires a pianist and begins rehearsing the song she used to sing "I'm Named for Sundae by Daddy".

Elvira: Mary Wickes. Edwin Flagg: Gale Gordon. Delia Flagg: Louise Frawley*. Mrs Bates: Doris Singleton. Miss Bates: Cindy Barnes. Flashback scenes: Young Lucy: Pamela Ferdyn Young Ethel: Jeri Weil

*actually Bill Frawley in drag..

Good God, you are one terrific writer. When I win the lottery and make that movie I've always wanted to make, you are HIRED as the writer.

Archived