Best Foot Forward (1943)

BEST FOOT FORWARD is easily one of my top three favorite Lucy movies, it's hilarious, has a fantastic cast (including the very young Nancy Walker in a rare pre-1970s major appearance) great songs and lots of real good laughs and above all, gorgeous "Technicolor Tessie" at the height of her beauty and proving she was a brillant comedienne years before the masses fully accepted her. I love how this movie is way before it's time in having Lucy play "herself" - Lucille Ball, movie star, albeit in a fictional setting, possibly the first time this was ever done in a filmed project (??) , love the bit where her dress is ripped off and the previously disinterested band gasps in recognition "Lucille Ball!!!!"

as if she were half-naked in all of her films LOL.

I like the closet sceen in the dorm room... where she holds the bat at the wrong end.. or when she pushes that "fresh" guy out of the closet... and gives him a LOOK... I also like when she steps off the train and says after being asked if she enjoyed her trip.. "Thank you .. it was better than going by train"... Her delivery of these wise cracks KILLS me every time!

I like the closet sceen in the dorm room... where she holds the bat at the wrong end.. or when she pushes that "fresh" guy out of the closet... and gives him a LOOK... I also like when she steps off the train and says after being asked if she enjoyed her trip.. "Thank you .. it was better than going by train"... Her delivery of these wise cracks KILLS me every time!

EXACTLY, her clever wit and delivery of that repartee is always what I love the most.

And I also like the way she stands.. the way she moves.. her make up.. those wonderful MGM gowns she wears... everything about her is OH SO OUT OF THIS WORLD wonderful. She is really a hot commodity.. why oh why didn't they give her more fun things to do at MGM??

Because like most of the other studios, they couldn't figure out she was the best at doing comedy, not as a glamorous showgirl.

Because like most of the other studios, they couldn't figure out she was the best at doing comedy, not as a glamorous showgirl.

So you mean to tell me when the brass at MGM saw this movie.. they stood with their mouths open saying "DUHH WHAT WILL WE DO WITH HER?"... wow those guys were pretty freakin dumb weren't they? Better yet.. they were pretty much straight guys right?? I bet some gay guys would have known what to do with that snazzy redheaded gal!

And I also like the way she stands.. the way she moves.. her make up.. those wonderful MGM gowns she wears... everything about her is OH SO OUT OF THIS WORLD wonderful. She is really a hot commodity.. why oh why didn't they give her more fun things to do at MGM??

Well, I actually like all of Lucy's MGM movies but I agree they didn't use her full potential but that was mainly because MGM was not a comedy factory in the 1940's, most of their pictures then were musicals or deluxe romantic dramas ala Greer Garson. They made great comedies in the 1930's for Jean Harlow and William Powell & Myrna Loy but they had writers back then under contract who wrote specificially for the stars which brought out their best assets, by 1942 when Lucy signed on that had all changed. Irving Thalberg had died in the late 1930's and he was the real artistic mastermind behind the studio; Louis Mayer really did't know much about making great movies but he could spot a star and they were kept afloat just by popular stars rather than great films (with exceptions of course). And of course we can see what happened when Lucy got writers who understood her assets with the ILL writers.

EASY TO WED proved to one and all Lucy was a great comedienne and her freelance movies offered some great comedy films pre-"Lucy" so I really feel her film career is underrated, it's just been overshadowed by her historic television work.

So you mean to tell me when the brass at MGM saw this movie.. they stood with their mouths open saying "DUHH WHAT WILL WE DO WITH HER?"... wow those guys were pretty freakin dumb weren't they? Better yet.. they were pretty much straight guys right?? I bet some gay guys would have known what to do with that snazzy redheaded gal!

At least it was the MGM gay hairdresser who got the brilliant idea to dye her hair RED, like her soul he said.

Well, I actually like all of Lucy's MGM movies but I agree they didn't use her full potential but that was mainly because MGM was not a comedy factory in the 1940's, most of their pictures then were musicals or deluxe romantic dramas ala Greer Garson. They made great comedies in the 1930's for Jean Harlow and William Powell & Myrna Loy but they had writers back then under contract who wrote specificially for the stars which brought out their best assets, by 1942 when Lucy signed on that had all changed. Irving Thalberg had died in the late 1930's and he was the real artistic mastermind behind the studio; Louis Mayer really did't know much about making great movies but he could spot a star and they were kept afloat just by popular stars rather than great films (with exceptions of course). And of course we can see what happened when Lucy got writers who understood her assets with the ILL writers.

EASY TO WED proved to one and all Lucy was a great comedienne and her freelance movies offered some great comedy films pre-"Lucy" so I really feel her film career is underrated, it's just been overshadowed by her historic television work.

Oh yeah, forgot she made some great comedies at Columbia. Fuller Brush Girl probably the first movie to realize her comedy potential.

Archived