Mill Creek signs distribution deal with Sony

Mot Morenzi

http://www.tvshowson...ense-Deal/18902

This means we'll be seeing rereleases of The Nanny's first three seasons and possibly the remaining three released down the line!

Did you miss this rather significant note under the headline (perhaps it wasn't there originally)

"Sorry, but no unreleased seasons are included in the rights at this time...it's all 'reruns'

Not particularly good news since all of this stuff is already in print and well, Mill Creek isn't exactly known for outstanding quality dvds since a ton of their stuff is public domain. Can't help but wonder if this is going to be something along the lines of "budget" pack sets, ie: BEST OF... , various shows compilations, etc. kind of like the old Pickwick record label repackages of major label recordings back in the 1970's. Doesn't really say that the Sony editions will be discontinued so I don't know what to make of this, hoping for the best.

Did you miss this rather significant note under the headline (perhaps it wasn't there originally)

"Sorry, but no unreleased seasons are included in the rights at this time...it's all 'reruns'

Not particularly good news since all of this stuff is already in print and well, Mill Creek isn't exactly known for outstanding quality dvds since a ton of their stuff is public domain. Can't help but wonder if this is going to be something along the lines of "budget" pack sets, ie: BEST OF... , various shows compilations, etc. kind of like the old Pickwick record label repackages of major label recordings back in the 1970's. Doesn't really say that the Sony editions will be discontinued so I don't know what to make of this, hoping for the best.

No I did not miss that. The piece has since been shortened but it originally included an editor's note that the rights to future seasons COULD become available if the partnership proves successful. Another factor is if Mill Creek chooses to deal with the music rights that was apparently a hold up for Sony on some releases. But I find that odd regarding the Nanny considering all the music replacement they did with seasons 1-3.

So I know nothing's definite but POSSIBLY down the line we'll see something happen. That's all I meant.

• 2 months later...

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bewitched-Seasons-1-and-2/19157

Appears they're getting right on the ball with putting out some new releases. The first two seasons of Bewitched will be re-released in January. Pleased to see that the black and white editions will be available once again as Sony pretty much focuses on the color editions nowadays.

I hate Mill Creeks packaging! I bought Roseanne and Third Rock From The Sun, and transferred the discs to cases that hold 3 dvd's. 

I take it you're referring to their "paper sleeves" habit? Yeah that's unfortunate. At least their blu-rays aren't like that.

Some of their artwork isn't as nice as other studios, but a few of their releases look great. Their individual season sets for Roseanne looked okay to me but I'm not wild about their "complete series" package. I love their case for The 10th Kingdom, much nicer looking than the Artisan/Hallmark one from 12 years ago.

I take it you're referring to their "paper sleeves" habit? Yeah that's unfortunate. At least their blu-rays aren't like that.

Some of their artwork isn't as nice as other studios, but a few of their releases look great. Their individual season sets for Roseanne looked okay to me but I'm not wild about their "complete series" package. I love their case for The 10th Kingdom, much nicer looking than the Artisan/Hallmark one from 12 years ago.

Do we have any idea why this Mill Creek outfit takes on all these titles that are already -- some very, very recently! -- released on DVD?? And how they can put them out with SRPs a fraction of what they originally cost?? Are they repressing the discs themselves with "inferior" transfers" I don't get it but am quite curious to know what the logic here is......!! 

Thanks! :D

Do we have any idea why this Mill Creek outfit takes on all these titles that are already -- some very, very recently! -- released on DVD?? And how they can put them out with SRPs a fraction of what they originally cost?? Are they repressing the discs themselves with "inferior" transfers" I don't get it but am quite curious to know what the logic here is......!!

Thanks! :D

Sometimes they rerelease but sometimes they put out material that is OOP or never got a release anywhere else. Their transfers are usually quite decent, even on blu ray. Their cases skimp a bit but the disc quality is always good. They are a value company so their prices are VERY reasonable. Their Roseanne releases outshine the initial anchor bay ones because they had access to the network originals and not the syndicated prints. More and more studios are licensing them material to release.

Archived