David Frost "goes night-night" at 74

Brock

Here's Lucy guest-star David Frost has died of a suspected heart attack on board the Queen Elizabeth. :o

Veteran British journalist and broadcaster David Frost, who won fame around the world for his TV interviews with former President Richard Nixon, has died, his family told the BBC. He was 74.

Frost died of a suspected heart attack on Saturday night aboard the Queen Elizabeth cruise ship, where he was due to give a speech, the family said. The cruise company Cunard said its vessel left the English port of Southampton on Saturday for a 10-day cruise in the Mediterranean.

Known both for an amiable personality and incisive interviews with leading public figures, Frost's career in television news and entertainment spanned almost half a century. He was the only person to have interviewed all six British prime ministers serving between 1964 and 2007 and the seven U.S. presidents in office between 1969 and 2008. Outside world affairs, his roster ranged from Orson Welles to Muhammad Ali to Clint Eastwood.

Prime Minister David Cameron was quick to send his condolences, praising Frost for being an "extraordinary man with charm, wit, talent, intelligence and warmth in equal measure."

"The Nixon interviews were among the great broadcast moments — but there were many other brilliant interviews," Cameron said. "He could be — and certainly was with me — both a friend and a fearsome interviewer."

The BBC said it received a statement from Frost's family saying it was devastated and asking "for privacy at this difficult time."

Frost began television hosting while still a student at Cambridge University. He went on to host the BBC's satirical news show "The Week That Was" in the early 1960s, and, later, a sketch show called "The Frost Report" and a long-running BBC Sunday show, "Breakfast with Frost." His signature, "Hello, good evening and welcome" was often mimicked.

MORE: http://www.cbc.ca/ne...aster-dies.html

After his run-in with Lucy Carter it seems only fitting Frost met his maker on a piece of transportation designed for trans-Atlantic travel.

Remembering David Frost part 1:

When I first met Bob and Madelyn, she gave me two scripts: "Frost/Night Night" which had already aired and "Really in a Pickle" which had not. The "Frost" script reads better than the execution and contains two little scenes that they deleted in rehearsals that would have helped bring some reality to a pretty wild premise: falling asleep on live TV.

1. (the most unfortunate deletion). When it's Lucy's turn to go on, the backstage producers have to wake her up from a deep sleep and push her onstage. This would have made her falling asleep on the air much more believable.

2. When Lucy falls asleep mid-interview, Frost uses the time to tell viewers who is upcoming guests will be. He's speaking directly into the camera as Lucy slumps deeper and deeper into her chair.

Plane hijacking had just started to happen seemingly for the first time, so it was in the news. Bob and Madelyn tried to be as topical as they could. There was also some reference to Frost being sleepy which may have helped make him falling asleep too a little more believable.

Simultaneous to his 90 min. 5-day a week talk show, there was the half-hour "David Frost Revuie", a sketch comedy show and Lucy was a guest on that too.

Here's Lucy guest-star David Frost has died of a suspected heart attack on board the Queen Elizabeth. :o

MORE: http://www.cbc.ca/ne...aster-dies.html

After his run-in with Lucy Carter it seems only fitting Frost met his maker on a piece of transportation designed for trans-Atlantic travel.

You are much too kind, obviously it was his encounter with Lucy Carter that set him off on his health woes and eventual heart attack.

Remembering David Frost part 1:

When I first met Bob and Madelyn, she gave me two scripts: "Frost/Night Night" which had already aired and "Really in a Pickle" which had not. The "Frost" script reads better than the execution and contains two little scenes that they deleted in rehearsals that would have helped bring some reality to a pretty wild premise: falling asleep on live TV.

1. (the most unfortunate deletion). When it's Lucy's turn to go on, the backstage producers have to wake her up from a deep sleep and push her onstage. This would have made her falling asleep on the air much more believable.

2. When Lucy falls asleep mid-interview, Frost uses the time to tell viewers who is upcoming guests will be. He's speaking directly into the camera as Lucy slumps deeper and deeper into her chair.

Plane hijacking had just started to happen seemingly for the first time, so it was in the news. Bob and Madelyn tried to be as topical as they could. There was also some reference to Frost being sleepy which may have helped make him falling asleep too a little more believable.

Simultaneous to his 90 min. 5-day a week talk show, there was the half-hour "David Frost Revuie", a sketch comedy show and Lucy was a guest on that too.

How on earth were you lucky enough to meet two of the world's best comedy writers?

How on earth were you lucky enough to meet two of the world's best comedy writers?

There was this Bob Carroll look-alike contest and I felt I was getting the run-around, so I went to the studio and.....wait that's "Lucy Meets Lucille Ball".

"Pickle" actually played better than the script read. In the original script, Kim is not in the episode.

There was this Bob Carroll look-alike contest and I felt I was getting the run-around, so I went to the studio and.....wait that's "Lucy Meets Lucille Ball".

"Pickle" actually played better than the script read. In the original script, Kim is not in the episode.

This post MAY show up on that Funniest of the funniest posts of all time.

Wow, it seems like he would have been much older than 74, that would have meant he was in his early 20's when he first hit the big time, quite unusual for a newsman (he looks older than early 30s in that picture with Lucy but then not everybody has a youthful look, that might have even helped his being taken seriously in his younger years. Kind of an odd choice for a Here's Lucy guest but then she was always great about getting people who otherwise never appeared on sitcoms.

Lucy had two of her greatest talk show interviews on "the David Frost Show"---the first one I remember was around 1970 or 1971 and Lucy many have been the only guest. She talks extensively about deeper subjects: for instance, her reaction to an angry and protesting youth. Her candid comments revealed a lot about how disconnected her generation was with the reasons behind the youth uprising, the main one being that boys were being sent against their will to a foreign land to fight and die in an unwinnable and undefined war.

the 2nd was a joint interview with Carol Burnett.

"David Frost" was a classy talk show, sometimes having celebrities, sometimes debating hot topics of the day with political figures. 90 minutes of (mostly) intelligent talk, so unlike the "talk shows" of today, which I find, like so much of TV today, unwatchable.

My favorite talk show was the underrated "The Merv Griffin Show" with the unappreciated Merv Griffin, especially when it originated from NYC.

Are either of these 2 Frost interviews available anywhere? We should stage our own version of Frost/Nixon, Frost/Ball.

Yeah, instead of brining out more crap, why don't they release these terrific old talk shows and their superstar guests talking about important subject matter instead of repeating nonsense or just plugging their latest projects.

Lucy had two of her greatest talk show interviews on "the David Frost Show"---the first one I remember was around 1970 or 1971 and Lucy many have been the only guest. She talks extensively about deeper subjects: for instance, her reaction to an angry and protesting youth. Her candid comments revealed a lot about how disconnected her generation was with the reasons behind the youth uprising, the main one being that boys were being sent against their will to a foreign land to fight and die in an unwinnable and undefined war.

the 2nd was a joint interview with Carol Burnett.

"David Frost" was a classy talk show, sometimes having celebrities, sometimes debating hot topics of the day with political figures. 90 minutes of (mostly) intelligent talk, so unlike the "talk shows" of today, which I find, like so much of TV today, unwatchable.

My favorite talk show was the underrated "The Merv Griffin Show" with the unappreciated Merv Griffin, especially when it originated from NYC.

You are so right, I hate the crap that passes for talk shows today, five minute interviews where you never hear anything new. Merv was also a favorite of mine along with Dick Cavett, Mike Douglas, to a lesser extent Dinah and Virginia Graham for after noon talk show LIGHT.

Wow, it seems like he would have been much older than 74, that would have meant he was in his early 20's when he first hit the big time, quite unusual for a newsman (he looks older than early 30s in that picture with Lucy but then not everybody has a youthful look, that might have even helped his being taken seriously in his younger years. Kind of an odd choice for a Here's Lucy guest but then she was always great about getting people who otherwise never appeared on sitcoms.

I thought the same thing, couldn't believe he was only 74, recently in pictures, he looked much older.

Yeah, instead of brining out more crap, why don't they release these terrific old talk shows and their superstar guests talking about important subject matter instead of repeating nonsense or just plugging their latest projects.

Here's the thing about those old talk shows. Not EVERYTHING was leading up to a joke punchline. They just talked and occasionally said something funny--unless the person was and out-and-out comic. Carson was more jokey than the other talk shows, but that was OK because there was a mix of types.

We the studio audience behaved ourselves like guests who were invited to listen. We reacted but we weren't part of the show like now with all this whooping and hollerin' and standing ovations.

Lucy seemed the least comfortable on Carson. maybe because she felt an obligation to be funny... and often come off as caustic

instead. When she was comfortable, like on Merv, she could be very funny and witty.

Here's the thing about those old talk shows. Not EVERYTHING was leading up to a joke punchline. They just talked and occasionally said something funny--unless the person was and out-and-out comic. Carson was more jokey than the other talk shows, but that was OK because there was a mix of types.

We the studio audience behaved ourselves like guests who were invited to listen. We reacted but we weren't part of the show like now with all this whooping and hollerin' and standing ovations.

Lucy seemed the least comfortable on Carson. maybe because she felt an obligation to be funny... and often come off as caustic

instead. When she was comfortable, like on Merv, she could be very funny and witty.

I agree with Lucy, I don't think carson liked her, and then when she guested with Joan three times, well, he certainly would not have her back on his show. You are certainly right about the annoying whooping and screaming that I have to turn the sound off constantly, instead of intelligent unhurried conversation, one on one, not like the ladies of The view talking all art once so you need subtitles to know what was said. And yes, everybody brought wit to the conversations, not just mugging and plugging.

Archived