1986 Emmys Lucy, Ritter, Skelton

Neil

1986 Emmys.   September 21, 1986

The previous night "Life with Lucy" had premiered with a lot of press whoopla, so Lucy may have been basking in that because a) the disappointing, for her, ratings hadn't come out and

B) the horrendous reviews hadn't been printed yet.

Note that she gives John a little direction under her breath "Keep it open"

The opening with old stars popping out of doors with their signature catch-phrases.

and this one, already posted in the Bob cummings thread.  Bob's at the end looking like a skinny George Gobel.  Eve Arden,looking quite Brett Sommers-y gets her own line "Damn few" but someone was asleep at her mic switch.

Can you pick out others in the crowd?

THIS GOWN has to be one of my favorites. UGH, SHEER 80s and Sheer Lucy!!!! Thanks for sharing. 

I know.  It's almost ODD to see her in a dress.  Wonder why she shied away from them later in life.  Other than the "2 by 4" episode, I don't think she wears one in any LWL episode.

The previous night "Life with Lucy" had premiered with a lot of press whoopla, so Lucy may have been basking in that because a) the disappointing, for her, ratings hadn't come out and

The opening with old stars popping out of doors with their signature catch-phrases.

and this one, already posted in the Bob cummings thread.  Bob's at the end looking like a skinny George Gobel.  Eve Arden,looking quite Brett Sommers-y gets her own line "Damn few" but someone was asleep at her mic switch.

Doy ou hear her at 0:44. "Gimme your hand baby." Always wanting some one to lean on. 

I LOVE how she notices the standing ovation and quickly becomes the queen of comedy, and takes her bows just a little bit more graciously..and again, the curtsey, ugh. simply dazzling lol

Ok, the first one I already have and enjoy seeing a great and decent human being like Red finally get his due, wish they had done the same for Gleason.  Love the way, after all those years, he still wants to let CBS have it with a zinger.  He was truly one of the greats of all time.  Nice that it was Lucy that got to give it to him too.  In aneffort to amuser Lucy, I think John Ritter lacked a little class here.  As for the second clip, for Lucy, the best they could do was Oh Ricky!  I think the spider might have been better, or even Desi`s YOU GOT SOME SPLAININ TO DO. 

I know.  It's almost ODD to see her in a dress.  Wonder why she shied away from them later in life.  Other than the "2 by 4" episode, I don't think she wears one in any LWL episode.

Right, and I think its a mis step kinda, cus skirts and dresses made her very feminine and "soft". 

I remember watching the episode of her coming down in that pink piece and thinking THERE SHE IS. 

She has a few skirts she wears later on in the years, like the beige cow boyish leather top and bottom, and the pretty light blue top and bottom, with the light blue ruffle blouse, but besides the Hope specials and a few  "black skirt and top" appearances, she doesnt grab onto the feminine dresses of the 80s like her counterparts, like maybe, Betty White, at the time, who was known for the skirt suits. Lucy on the other hand was known for those pants suits lol (oh gosh, I'm rambling) sorry lol 

THIS GOWN has to be one of my favorites. UGH, SHEER 80s and Sheer Lucy!!!!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE SEEING LUCY get standing ovations. And the curtsey. OMG. so gracious and beautiful!!. Thanks for sharing. 

Yeah, but she went to a lot of work to GET that standing ovation.  And from auntsheila no less. 

Right, and I think its a mis step kinda, cus skirts and dresses made her very feminine and "soft". 

I remember watching the episode of her coming down in that pink piece and thinking THERE SHE IS. 

She has a few skirts she wears later on in the years, like the beige cow boyish leather top and bottom, and the pretty light blue top and bottom, with the light blue ruffle blouse, but besides the Hope specials and a few  "black skirt and top" appearances, she doesnt grab onto the feminine dresses of the 80s like her counterparts, like maybe, Betty White, at the time, who was known for the skirt suits. Lucy on the other hand was known for those pants suits lol (oh gosh, I'm rambling) sorry lol 

Yeah, Lucy did pant suits BEFORE Hillary Clinton ever did, LOL!

Yeah, but she went to a lot of work to GET that standing ovation.  And from aunt auntsheila no less. 

what in the heck are you talking about my Cluady lol 

I first saw this footage from your copy you sent to me:) god I dont know what my life would have been without your video gifts to me :)

BUT BACK TO THE DRESS!!. The gold is so much better than her choices of darker colors. I would have loved to see her make some fashion statements and take advantage of her Nolan Miller connection  

what in the heck are you talking about my Cluady lol 

I first saw this footage from your copy you sent to me:) god I dont know what my life would have been without your video gifts to me :)

BUT BACK TO THE DRESS!!. The gold is so much better than her choices of darker colors. I would have loved to see her make some fashion statements and take advantage of her Nolan Miller connection  

Look at it again, she comes out, no standing O, she has to make John wait while she works the crowd and bows so long and hard that they eventually get off their duffs and give her a much deserved standing ovation, Betty would get one easier than that nowadays, back then, Lucy seldom got her due.

1. As for the dress, that high neck helps her out a lot too.  I agree the color was terrific on her.  When I wrote her that eighteen page fan letter back in the sixties, I told her she needed some help with her outfits.  I see whenever they do the Tonys, the performers always have dresses I wish Lucy had worn, dunno if it`s the New York stores that offer better choices but . . .

Yeah, you best get off your duff and show some respect, Angela. lol

Great videos, thanks, Neil! In the second one, however, what on earth is going on around 1.41?

Yeah, I noticed that as soon as I watched it, seems somebody opened the wrong door or got the right one too late, somebody is saying something but never got on the air.

Look at it again, she comes out, no standing O, she has to make John wait while she works the crowd and bows so long and hard that they eventually get off their duffs and give her a much deserved standing ovation, Betty would get one easier than that nowadays, back then, Lucy seldom got her due.

Are you kidding?  They stand for ANYONE these days.  A standing ovation means nothing anymore.  Not getting a standing ovation says more about a performer (negative) than getting one. 

I heard that in the old days of Broadway, standing ovations were VERY rare and as such,so much more of an honor.

It's like in the old days a grade of "C" was what it was supposed to be: AVERAGE and was not the black mark it is now.   B is now the new C.  In MY day, there were only a couple of people that got straight A's  (and no, I was not among them....except one time and that one was in grade school and it was more for teacher-charming than my academic skills).

Are you kidding?  They stand for ANYONE these days.  A standing ovation means nothing anymore.  Not getting a standing ovation says more about a performer (negative) than getting one. 

I heard that in the old days of Broadway, standing ovations were VERY rare and as such,so much more of an honor.

It's like in the old days a grade of "C" was what it was supposed to be: AVERAGE and was not the black mark it is now.   B is now the new C.  In MY day, there were only a couple of people that got straight A's  (and no, I was not among them....except one time and that one was in grade school and it was more for teacher-charming than my academic skills).

Oh that is so true, if you watch any of the talk shows, the host gets one, then even the worst or even unknown guest, to be nice, they cheer and scream their heads off and then give a standing O to anyone at all, you are so right, it DOES mean nothing nowadays.

Oh that is so true, if you watch any of the talk shows, the host gets one, then even the worst or even unknown guest, to be nice, they cheer and scream their heads off and then give a standing O to anyone at all, you are so right, it DOES mean nothing nowadays.

I went to a talk show taping in Toronto once and we were instructed to give the host a standing o. :lucyblah:

Neil:  utube is not opening for me; to whom did Lucille present the Governor's Award?  thanks....

Too bad they couldn't have given Lucy this award while she was alive.

She is beautiful here. That dress is wonderful and gives her a nice shape. In the long shots you can see it flow at the bottom. This is up there with the black dress from the TV Hall of Fame as best of the 80's.

Loved the "give me your hand baby", ah. This is what a classy legend should look like. Grand, statuesque and regal, but still relateable.

Neil:  utube is not opening for me; to whom did Lucille present the Governor's Award?  thanks....

Youtube links:

1986 Emmys

and then Lucy gives Governor's award to Red Skelton,

Opening number

Closing number "Old Friends".

This was live TV and things can go wrong, such as Eve's mic not being on.  Perhaps they hadn't completely worked our or rehearsed the stage and camera blocking.  why else would there be just quick shots of TV pioneers Sid and Imogene; and no close up for Bob. In its 4 1/2 seasons on the air, "The Bob Cummings Show" better known as "Love That Bob" had almost as many episodes as I Love Lucy.   It received 3 Best Comedy Series Emmy nominations ; Bob received a Best Actor in comedy each season it was on; as did Ann B.Davis who won two in a row that last 2 seasons of the series...as his sexless girl Friday "Shultzy".   Rosemary DeCamp playing Bob's sister got one nom (lost to Ann b.).  It ran on all 3 networks: its first year as a mid-season show on NBC, then on CBS for two years; the back to NBC for another two.   ABC bought the reruns and ran it during the day.   (Other sitcoms that played all 3: Father Knows Best and Danny Thomas).  Neither of Bob's follow up sitcoms were successful "the NEW Bob Cummings Show" and "My Living Doll", both on CBS.

The great song "Old Friends" in from my favorite Stephen Sondheim musical "Merrily We Roll Along", his 1981 follow up to "Sweeny Todd" and his most notorious flop, only 16 performances.  You'd never know if from the score, which is full of great songs.   The story based on a Kaufman play of the 30s traces the friendship of 3 people who succeeded in show business.  The timeline flows backwards to show how they got where they are.   Evidently the reverse timeline thing was hard for the audience (and critics) to grasp.   A few years ago I met Sondheim in person and discussed it with him.  The failure of this was devastating to him and dissolved his long partnership with director Hal Prince.   Sondheim's subsequent musicals were "Sunday in the Park with George" "Into the Woods" and "Passion".  Another "Assassins", I don't think made it to Broadway.   "Sweeney" seems to be his most revered show, but it's just a bit too dark for me.

Here's Bob as the mystery guest on What's My Line in 1964 discussing the upcoming season of "My Living Doll" which joined the CBS Sunday night line up that  also included "WML"  .   Bob says MLDoll was to be on at 9:30.  It actually debuted at 9:00 in CBS's worst timeslot,following Ed Sullivan and opposite NBC's Bonanza---the slot that was instrumental in the  demise of "The Judy Garland Show"* (and the previous season: "The Real McCoys" which up to that time had been a hit for ABC)   MLD was followed by "The Joey Bishop Show" acquired from NBC. Neither show succeeded but at least CBS gave them a 2nd chance and moved them mid-season; a courtesy they did not extend to Judy's show (which had been rumored to join CBS's Monday line up at 10:00, a slot occupied  by  George C Scott's gritty "East Side,West Side").   From 1962 to 1967 everything CBS tried against Bonanza failed until "The Smothers Brothers Hour"debuted as a mid-season replacement in 1967.

According to the book I just read, this was the time period where Bob was under the influence of "Dr. Feelgood"'s meth-laden miracle shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcaEUtEgPSQ

* one of the best show business books ever written is "Raindow's End: The Judy Garland Show" by the recently departed Steve Sanders, who co-wrote another great show biz book "Desilu" with Tom Gilbert.   "Rainbow" will make you mad at CBS, particularly Jim Aubrey, who acquired the services of Judy and then seemed to do everything possible to sabotage the show.

And THERE'S your Sunday morning trivia from ME!

Here's Bob as the mystery guest on What's My Line in 1964 discussing the upcoming season of "My Living Doll" which joined the CBS Sunday night line up that  also included "WML"  .   Bob says MLDoll was to be on at 9:30.  It actually debuted at 9:00 in CBS's worst timeslot,following Ed Sullivan and opposite NBC's Bonanza---the slot that was instrumental in the  demise of "The Judy Garland Show"* (and the previous season: "The Real McCoys" which up to that time had been a hit for ABC)   MLD was followed by "The Joey Bishop Show" acquired from NBC. Neither show succeeded but at least CBS gave them a 2nd chance and moved them mid-season; a courtesy they did not extend to Judy's show (which had been rumored to join CBS's Monday line up at 10:00, a slot occupied  by  George C Scott's gritty "East Side,West Side").   From 1962 to 1967 everything CBS tried against Bonanza failed until "The Smothers Brothers Hour"debuted as a mid-season replacement in 1967.

According to the book I just read, this was the time period where Bob was under the influence of "Dr. Feelgood"'s meth-laden miracle shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcaEUtEgPSQ

* one of the best show business books ever written is "Raindow's End: The Judy Garland Show" by the recently departed Steve Sanders, who co-wrote another great show biz book "Desilu" with Tom Gilbert.   "Rainbow" will make you mad at CBS, particularly Jim Aubrey, who acquired the services of Judy and then seemed to do everything possible to sabotage the show.

And THERE'S your Sunday morning trivia from ME!

LOVE it, Neil! You're literally a font of (or is it fountain?? What's that 'spression??) of knowledge! ;)

(And I agree, Rainbow's one of the best books about Garland's career.  The material about what a challenge it became to produce her show was fascinating!) -J

Youtube links:

1986 Emmys

and then Lucy gives Governor's award to Red Skelton,

Opening number

Closing number "Old Friends".

This was live TV and things can go wrong, such as Eve's mic not being on. Perhaps they hadn't completely worked our or rehearsed the stage and camera blocking. why else would there be just quick shots of TV pioneers Sid and Imogene; and no close up for Bob. In its 4 1/2 seasons on the air, "The Bob Cummings Show" better known as "Love That Bob" had almost as many episodes as I Love Lucy. It received 3 Best Comedy Series Emmy nominations ; Bob received a Best Actor in comedy each season it was on; as did Ann B.Davis who won two in a row that last 2 seasons of the series...as his sexless girl Friday "Shultzy". Rosemary DeCamp playing Bob's sister got one nom (lost to Ann b.). It ran on all 3 networks: its first year as a mid-season show on NBC, then on CBS for two years; the back to NBC for another two. ABC bought the reruns and ran it during the day. (Other sitcoms that played all 3: Father Knows Best and Danny Thomas). Neither of Bob's follow up sitcoms were successful "the NEW Bob Cummings Show" and "My Living Doll", both on CBS.

The great song "Old Friends" in from my favorite Stephen Sondheim musical "Merrily We Roll Along", his 1981 follow up to "Sweeny Todd" and his most notorious flop, only 16 performances. You'd never know if from the score, which is full of great songs. The story based on a Kaufman play of the 30s traces the friendship of 3 people who succeeded in show business. The timeline flows backwards to show how they got where they are. Evidently the reverse timeline thing was hard for the audience (and critics) to grasp. A few years ago I met Sondheim in person and discussed it with him. The failure of this was devastating to him and dissolved his long partnership with director Hal Prince. Sondheim's subsequent musicals were "Sunday in the Park with George" "Into the Woods" and "Passion". Another "Assassins", I don't think made it to Broadway. "Sweeney" seems to be his most revered show, but it's just a bit too dark for me.

Assassins was originally Off-Broadway. It was slated for a Bway revival but 9/11 happend and it got pushed to a time when we could accept this type of material again. It had a short Bway run with Neil Patrick Harris. I've grown to love Sondheim over the years and my husband is a huge Into the Woods/Joanna Gleason fan. I've also been able to catch the recent revials for Follies and A Little Night Music on Bway both with Bernadette who I love (not as much as Joanna though).

I really like that Old Fiends song. When I was in Jamestown in 96' they did a show in the evening all about Lucy's life and used this song in it. I thought it was a wonderful way to reference the ILL cast.

Archived