I Love Lucy Commentary

O M G that was sensational to see and hear, especially the anecdote about Tallulah, LOL!   Wish there were more of these.  YOU KNOW, BEEN WATCHIN THAT LADY FOR ALMOST SIXTY YEARS NOW AND I CAN SEE HOW BRILLIANT SHE IS EVEN MORE CLEARLY NOW, SHE DOEN'T ACT, SHE JUST BECOMES THAT CHARACTER AND IS SO PERFECT AT IT, THAT SHE TRULY IS THE MOST GIFTED ACTRESS WHO EVER LIVED.  MERYL'S GONNA HAVE TO SETTLE FOR NUMBER TWO.

I mean that even without dialogue, her facial SPRESSIONS portray everything that's happening, she could have been in silent films and been just as successful.

I thought about this once. She would've been great in silent pictures, her physical comedy is one of the best talents she has. So wonderful.

That was Wunndafull!!!!   Thanks for posting this.. I have seen it on you tube.. but it belongs here.. I wonder what this is from.. and wonder where the WHOLE thing is? Anyone know??  I think .. it is commentary off of the Laser Disk.. and I wonder if it couldn't be put on dvd.. anyway.. if anyone here knows, I would appreciate information just to satisfy my own curiosity.

O M G that was sensational to see and hear, especially the anecdote about Tallulah, LOL!   Wish there were more of these.  YOU KNOW, BEEN WATCHIN THAT LADY FOR ALMOST SIXTY YEARS NOW AND I CAN SEE HOW BRILLIANT SHE IS EVEN MORE CLEARLY NOW, SHE DOEN'T ACT, SHE JUST BECOMES THAT CHARACTER AND IS SO PERFECT AT IT, THAT SHE TRULY IS THE MOST GIFTED ACTRESS WHO EVER LIVED.  MERYL'S GONNA HAVE TO SETTLE FOR NUMBER TWO.

Well put. It's the unsung factor that built the foundation on which ILL could go wild....or not. Rarely a false move; or any "I'm trying to be funny here" schtick. Many of my favorite episodes are (mostly) dialogue...like "Ethel's Birthday", "Equal Rights".

Well put. It's the unsung factor that built the foundation on which ILL could go wild....or not. Rarely a false move; or any "I'm trying to be funny here" schtick. Many of my favorite episodes are (mostly) dialogue...like "Ethel's Birthday", "Equal Rights".

I agree.... which is why when all the "Top Ten" or "Best of" lists are compiled I don't agree with half the choices since my personal favorites are the more dialogue/character driven episodes, rather than those that end with the "big bang" bit at the end:  I never tire of "Ethel's BIrthday", "Never Do Business With Friends" and "Equal Rights" among many others for that reason. :D

Which is WHY they should have concentrated on witty repartee for Life with Lucy instead of those God awful shows that were never funny.  She was getting a bit old for slapstick comedy but never lost her timing for clever dialogue, she just seldom got any from her writers, later on I mean.

I agree.... which is why when all the "Top Ten" or "Best of" lists are compiled I don't agree with half the choices since my personal favorites are the more dialogue/character driven episodes, rather than those that end with the "big bang" bit at the end:  I never tire of "Ethel's BIrthday", "Never Do Business With Friends" and "Equal Rights" among many others for that reason. :D

Everybody Loves Raymond is a perfect example of how CHARACTER driven laughs are the easiest to get.  The series started off very slowly for years and then we knew those characters so well on Raymond that the laughs came by so easily in the middle years and then unlike MOST shows, they did their very best shows at the end of the series.

Everybody Loves Raymond is a perfect example of how CHARACTER driven laughs are the easiest to get.  The series started off very slowly for years and then we knew those characters so well on Raymond that the laughs came by so easily in the middle years and then unlike MOST shows, they did their very best shows at the end of the series.

Agreed about RAYMOND being a superb example of excellent character comedy. But I'm surprised you think the best episodes came from the end of the run. I think Seasons Four through Seven were the strongest. Everything seemed much more labored in the last two married-Robert seasons. 

Agreed about RAYMOND being a superb example of excellent character comedy. But I'm surprised you think the best episodes came from the end of the run. I think Seasons Four through Seven were the strongest. Everything seemed much more labored in the last two married-Robert seasons. 

Ok, should have worded that better then . . . the show started off very slowly, I hate the first years, but then just kept getting better and funnier as we knew every character's traits so well up to the end, that they got easy laughs from our guessing what would happen next.  Then, unlike most shows that got tired and lazy at the end, they were just as funny till the very last show.  I end up playing the move to the condo in the last season more than any other.  As for the married brother, he was as horrible a character at the end as he was single, I just hated him and wished he had eloped with Raymond's wife and take those three awful kids with them.  There was enough great comedy with just Raymond and his mom, LOL!  And the dad, the in laws, the friends  etc . . .

Ok, should have worded that better then . . . the show started off very slowly, I hate the first years, but then just kept getting better and funnier as we knew every character's traits so well up to the end, that they got easy laughs from our guessing what would happen next.  Then, unlike most shows that got tired and lazy at the end, they were just as funny till the very last show.  I end up playing the move to the condo in the last season more than any other.  As for the married brother, he was as horrible a character at the end as he was single, I just hated him and wished he had eloped with Raymond's wife and take those three awful kids with them.  There was enough great comedy with just Raymond and his mom, LOL!  And the dad, the in laws, the friends  etc . . .

Ah, okay. I do agree with you about the show remaining funny (unlike, say, ALL IN THE FAMILY). Incidentally, I normally hate series finales, but I thought RAYMOND's was excellent. 

Ah, okay. I do agree with you about the show remaining funny (unlike, say, ALL IN THE FAMILY). Incidentally, I normally hate series finales, but I thought RAYMOND's was excellent. 

Absolutely, and to think they did it with that subject matter of someone almost dying, but when Marie climbs into their bed, well, I was on the floor laughing.

Archived