What Makes ILL Timeless?

I was wondering...what is the factor or factors that make this show so beloved and timeless???? I think partly because most things we have today were already available in 1951. Cars, tv, freezers, electricity, phones, etc. I guess if we advance where these things become obsolete then ILL will loose some of its relatability. Of course the love factor and married life will probably remain similar.... I just wonder if this was set in the pioneer days ...same dynamic but with different surroundings if it would bbe.as popular....what are your thoughts fellow.Lucy affecinados?

Wouldnt it be wild to see Lucy Learns to Drive in the 1800s? Ricky.comes in and says "Lucy guess what? I bought a new horse and buggy" lol...of course it really wouldnt.work because back then there were no movies...no Hollywood... No haircolor to make her red lol....so part of the shows longevity I believe is.the standard of living achieved after ww2 that we are.still enjoying today.

Well yeah all that ...oh and it was FUNNY!  :lucythrill:

True, especially, BUT, he's right, the fact that we could relate to the situations helped a lot.  Married life, money problems, IF YOU RECALL, IT WAS ORIGINALLY SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT MOVIE STARS, not many could relate to THAT.  Neighbors, landlords, having a child, moving to the country, being on TV, wanting to be somebody, especially in show business etc etc etc.

Friendship, family, love, laughter, sadness, anger, jealousy, etc, etc. We can all relate. Plus the comedy will forever be understood, rare references to the pop culture at the time, unlike today. Plus the great physical comedy, you can always find a laugh in that. It was about the love and laughter, something we all appreciate.

I also think, despite the high quality of the writing and the production, the fact that the series never left the public eye has contributed to the general feeling of timelessness -- it's still funny for every generation. If the series was like other '50s sitcoms and went relatively unseen after its initial airing, it wouldn't be perceived as timeless -- even if was released on DVD and fostered a following of new fans. It's been on TV for 62 years... discoverable for new audiences at any time. Hence, the show is timeless.  

That being said, it was the smartest and funniest sitcom of the decade. (And, I believe, of all time.) So, even if it wasn't as syndicated as it was, I'm sure we'd still all be here discussing how brilliant and funny it was.  

I also think, despite the high quality of the writing and the production, the fact that the series never left the public eye has contributed to the general feeling of timelessness -- it's still funny for every generation. If the series was like other '50s sitcoms and went relatively unseen after its initial airing, it wouldn't be perceived as timeless -- even if was released on DVD and fostered a following of new fans. It's been on TV for 62 years... discoverable for new audiences at any time. Hence, the show is timeless.  

That being said, it was the smartest and funniest sitcom of the decade. (And, I believe, of all time.) So, even if it wasn't as syndicated as it was, I'm sure we'd still all be here discussing how brilliant and funny it was.  

True, except for one little detail, the series was shown in New York City and Los Angeles NON STOP but that wasn't the case everywhere else you know, I went years and years without seeing her anywhere on tv for a while there.

Archived