Johnny Carson the vault series volume 3... and Lucy!

desilufan2

Probably the one that's on the net now or was on one of the dvds, wish all of her interviews were available, some were better than some of her shows, but I'm glad the people behind this release finally got around to the First Lady of Television.

Nope. This one hasn't been seen in some time

Of Lucy's talk show appearances, Johnny Carson's were my least favorite.  She seemed less comfortable because Johnny's format was more about being funny than the interview.  Her humor was sometimes edgy and as she got older, she came off as a bit crabby when she was just trying to be funny. Maybe because Johnny was more of a comedian than the other hosts.  And not that this was bad.  It was nothing like today where (at least from the ones I've seen) it's ALL about the laugh and other than promoting their latest project, there's very little interview.  Past a certain point in the 70s, Lucy didn't appear with Johnny.  If she was on the show, it was guest host Joan Rivers.   (Am I right about this?)  Lucy's Merv interviews were my favorites.  Too bad those aren't being released in their entirety.

Is the Carson interview the whole thing or just a clip?

You're right about everything Neil.  Always wondered why she stopped going on carson's, assumed it was because he hated surprises and she showed up wearing her black wig from Mame after he had just introduced her as the great redhead.  Carson, a comedian?  Yeah, I guess reading other people's jokes made him one.  I recently heard he supplied some jokes for Letterman so I guess he WAS able to write some.  Yes, Lucy was terrific with Merv Griffin, carson, not so much.  On the one we saw, doesn't she even tell him that she thought he didn't like her much?

• 2 weeks later...

You're right about everything Neil.  Always wondered why she stopped going on carson's, assumed it was because he hated surprises and she showed up wearing her black wig from Mame after he had just introduced her as the great redhead.  Carson, a comedian?  Yeah, I guess reading other people's jokes made him one.  I recently heard he supplied some jokes for Letterman so I guess he WAS able to write some.  Yes, Lucy was terrific with Merv Griffin, carson, not so much.  On the one we saw, doesn't she even tell him that she thought he didn't like her much?

Johnny Carson also wrote all his own jokes in the fall of 1980 during an extended writers' strike.  But he didn't actually need jokes or anyone to write for him because he was naturally funny.  He's the only person I know who could get their biggest laughs after telling a joke that bombs.  His best moments were completely unscripted, like whenever animals were involved.  He was instinctively funny and I miss him to this day.  Late night has never recovered since he retired.

Archived