"Hold the 'Mayo'"

Virginia, that is.

I know this book has been mentioned but couldn't find the thread.

A rather odd auto-biography.  Seems literally "as told to" rather than ghost written.

"Couldn't stand that AWFUL I Love Lucy show"....Well I guess it was no "Scudda Hoo, Scudda Hay"

Virginia surmises that Lucy ALLEGEDLY changing Edie Adams hairdo 3 times was because she didn't want it to look better than hers.  Somehow I doubt she was that concerned about or threatened by Edie's appearance.  I've heard Edie tell the hairdo changing story.  She didn't seem all that happy about it but didn't mention it was because of Lucy's insecurity.  Edie's late in life make-up was so garish, she didn't seem pleased about anything when she talked.

Virginia, that is.

I know this book has been mentioned but couldn't find the thread.

A rather odd auto-biography.  Seems literally "as told to" rather than ghost written.

"Couldn't stand that AWFUL I Love Lucy show"....Well I guess it was no "Scudda Hoo, Scudda Hay"

Virginia surmises that Lucy ALLEGEDLY changing Edie Adams hairdo 3 times was because she didn't want it to look better than hers.  Somehow I doubt she was that concerned about or threatened by Edie's appearance.  I've heard Edie tell the hairdo changing story.  She didn't seem all that happy about it but didn't mention it was because of Lucy's insecurity.  Edie's late in life make-up was so garish, she didn't seem pleased about anything when she talked.

I've never understood Mayo's comments. The woman helped Fred Ball unveil the first Lucille Ball postage stamp and then a couple of years she goes on her tirade.

Virginia may have been lumped all Lucys shows under the umbrella title of I Love Lucy as people sometimes do.

Maybe she was offered the role re-written for Hal March in "Mooney the Monkey".

When I say it was "as told to", it seems exactly that.  The narrative sounds exactly like the transcript of someone reciting their memoirs spontaneously into a tape recorder.  Not that it's a horrible style, just different.   Lucy's name comes up in a chapter where she mentions numerous actor's names and says a little bit about them, positive or negative.  Another person she HATED: Eve Arden!!---of whom I've never heard a bad word.

And here's what she has to say about Ann Sothern:

"Ann Sothern.".......

........that's IT.

As in "I motored to the coast with a friend.   That's her."

I'm giving it as a gift so I've only skimmed it but she seems very right-wing.  Her husband Mike O'Shea went undercover to get the Communist dirt on people.  She seems sympathetic to the McCarthy cause saying of Joe McCarthy "he died way too young".  McCarthy is a person I've never heard one GOOD word about.

Archived