CBS Opening Night

Brock

• 3 weeks later...

Hell she looks young and sexy to me. No tired lines under the eyes that she has to hide, no thick make up. 

I wish this were in color, because her make up is superb here, but seeing it in BW doesn't emphasize her face much. 

I love her hair too, the way the sides SLICK into curls. How much holding spray did that take, I wonder. 

Yeah, I don't think about the contraption thing all the time I see her hair, I just see it and enjoy it for what it looks like. Now if it were a snapshot, where the camera picks up the netting and shows 

where the wig starts, then I take notice. Im thinking Irma put these type of wigs behind Lucy's natural hair line.

She plays with her wig a ton on that Dinah episode.

So true. I thought she was going to  pull the netting up at one point, when she plucks a hair from it. 

I always wondered why she would press the sides of her face, and why shed press her temples in, but I see now that she was pressing the netting down. 

She plays with her wig a ton on that Dinah episode.

I bet there was a hair out of place that was bothering her. I tend to have that issue sometimes with wigs. It seems as if their was one extra long hair and she got sick of it and tore it off. But I bet she wasn't as comfortable in that wig. The red hair is her trademark.

I love how she comments she looks like Maude. I'm ok with the Mame wigs around the Mame time, but this just seemed all wrong for her. Yeah like adding a wig with gray hair in it is going to make oyu look younger. The normal red wig would have knocked 10 years of her on that show.

I love how she comments she looks like Maude. I'm ok with the Mame wigs around the Mame time, but this just seemed all wrong for her. Yeah like adding a wig with gray hair in it is going to make oyu look younger. The normal red wig would have knocked 10 years of her on that show.

She truly does though! The wig was quite old ladyish, which makes sense with the special. I know she was promoting it, but still.

The Mame wigs were actually flattering too. Plus promoting a film is different than a special.

As someone pointed out, this is the very first time we've heard The Lucy Show's theme song (which, by the way, if my favorite of all 4).  Lucy looks wonderful here but is practically unrecognizable from her I Love Lucy days.  For me, these days 5 years can go by just like *that*, so I wonder if it was a shock to those not paying close attention between 1957 and 1962 to see this "new" Lucille Ball, really much more mature and as glamorous as we've seen her since her MGM days. 

And under the topic of "Little things they do", I love the way she says "Men..." and then looks down as she walks pointing her thumb in the direction of the men in the skit.  She really does wonders with this slight but sophisticated material.  Makes you wonder what a "Lucille Ball Variety Hour" might have been like.

(I always hate to get off topic....but) As far as theme song/opening credit sequences go, I don't like anything about "Life with Lucy"'s, and it's got nothing to do with the quality of the show.  For a Lucy series theme with lyrics, I want something ABOUT Lucy.  The "Every Day is Better Than Before" song is not bad and Eydie's vocals are solid, but it's got nothing to do with the show.  I also not partial to any opening sequence that relies solely on clips from episodes as LWL's does. No imagination.

The Lucy Show's 3rd and 4th season are exceptions to my clip aversion because they're so cleverly put together----even MORE clever re-edited for the DVD releases.  In fact,  I'll go as far as saying The Lucy Show's opening credits were the most imaginative of any show in the history of TV.  Listen to the theme orchestrations: they're REALLY wild.  The 3rd and 4th seasons retains but a thread of the original melody.   Here's Lucy's credit sequence was certainly unique but doesn't get as many points, because a) I don't like the show as much and B) they didn't change in the 6 year run (except for cast changes or absences)  I do give them a few points for changing the arrangement of the theme for the 4th year.  Not sure if it changed again for either of the last two years.

Archived