"I Love Lucy" Pet Peeve

One thing that's always bothered me in some scenes of "I Love Lucy" is when the background actors in a scene clearly laugh and join in with the audience on enjoying the show. You usually find this with Ricky's orchestra at the Tropicana. After they play a song...there they sit just staring at the actors, watching the scene unfold....and laughing right along with the dialogue. Couldn't they have been chatting amongst themselves? Or discussing the music in the background rather than just sitting their staring at Ricky and Lucy? In the final scene of the "Lucy Tells The Truth" episode, the piano player sits there and laughs right along with the gags. Well, why is he laughing and not anyone else in the cast?

No real big deal but I think it's a little sloppy to allow the background actors to laugh in the middle of the screen, while on camera.

One thing that's always bothered me in some scenes of "I Love Lucy" is when the background actors in a scene clearly laugh and join in with the audience on enjoying the show. You usually find this with Ricky's orchestra at the Tropicana. After they play a song...there they sit just staring at the actors, watching the scene unfold....and laughing right along with the dialogue. Couldn't they have been chatting amongst themselves? Or discussing the music in the background rather than just sitting their staring at Ricky and Lucy? In the final scene of the "Lucy Tells The Truth" episode, the piano player sits there and laughs right along with the gags. Well, why is he laughing and not anyone else in the cast?

No real big deal but I think it's a little sloppy to allow the background actors to laugh in the middle of the screen, while on camera.

They had no way of knowing these shows would last forever and would be dissected for all time. I personaly LOVE it when that happens, the first instance you talked about, not so much the last one mentionned, that means the orchestra members are watching and listening to their boss Ricky, who obviously told them what a wack job his spouse was, so they check it out for themselves, that's the way i get through those scenes, LOL!

• 3 weeks later...

I never considered the orchestra to be "cast members or extras". Technically, they're neither. So IMO, they're an extension of the audience. Seeing that they felt free enough to watch and to laugh at the proceedings, I expect they were never instructed not to do it. I'll save my pet peeves for things like a huge loaf of bread coming out of a small oven with obviously not enough depth to accomodate it. :lucyhorror:

• 2 weeks later...

Re: the orchestra, showing them talking to each other would have been too much distracting action on stage.

As for the piano player in "Lucy Tells the Truth," he is there to accompany the various acts and is watching Lucy and the knife thrower, as are Ricky, the Mertzes, and Charles Lane. Why wouldn't he be laughing at this funny woman he's never seen before? I find his amusement very charming :D

Archived