Young Lucy entertains the Troops with George, Gracie and Games

Brock

And in this episode, MGM's own Lucille Ball is our very perky Mistress of Ceremonies, taking the helm of this episode also featuring George and Gracie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgSjepq88nU

George: All this because I happened to look at Lucille Ball with a casual little glance? 

Gracie: Casual? Your eyes moved over her like a Swede looking at a table full of smorgasbords.

i love these old shows! thanks for sharing

The banter between Lucy and Gracie around the 14.20 minute in the second show is priceless. It is wonderful to hear these two geniuses working together, one in her heyday and one a few years away from hitting full bloom.

"When you see him in his underwear in the morning...don't laugh... "

I hadn't even gotten to the second video but I didn't even pay attention to the title! 

seeing it now Im LIKE  WOW WOW WOW!!!

..listening to it now!!!

I can't believe how time and attraction works!!!

I was jUST looking at Gracie's biography online- after discovering the show in 2012! (I didn't know Gracie was like the Rose Nylund of her time!- I mean, it could have been the characters mother!) Oh wouldn't that have been nice. to see Rose's mother be a healthy, but aged Gracie (still going at it like Burns) 

ANYWAY, I was looking at the bio, just the other day!! and I was thinking, after it showed a picture of Gracie and George holding a magazine cover with Lucy on the front- "Aint it a shame, not much is on Lucy and Gracie together" and lo and behold- here it is!!! 

makes it even more exciting and fun to hear! thanks again for sharing my Brock (gives a big Ricky to Fred side ways shrug hug) lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAPet8z0cdg

60 years of booze & cigarettes, what's the "mystery"???  :vanda:

You DO know that there are people who have smoked and drank more than Lucy whose voice is no where near as low as hers right?lol ... 

No matter what the cause was, Id be a little surprised too  if I started out as a second soprano and ended up a Baritone 

You DO know that there are people who have smoked and drank more than Lucy whose voice is no where near as low as hers right?lol ... 

No matter what the cause was, Id be a little surprised too  if I started out as a second soprano and ended up a Baritone 

No shit?? Seriously though if they weren't THE factors they were definitely CONTRIBUTING factors as neither "activity" is healthy and over time, has got to take some toll, however slight, on the body.  

N'est-ce pas??   :lucyeww:

60 years of booze & cigarettes, what's the "mystery"???  :vanda:

Cigarettes maybe, but booze?? She didn't have a drinking rep other than a story or two spread around  (which I'm convinced were more urban legend than not).

I don't know what made Lucy finally quit cigarettes in the 80s but I wouldn't have wanted to be Gary during her withdrawal.  Probably considered changing his name back to Goldapper and returning to the Catskills!

No shit?? Seriously though if they weren't THE factors they were definitely CONTRIBUTING factors as neither "activity" is healthy and over time, has got to take some toll, however slight, on the body.  

N'est-ce pas??   :lucyeww:

LOLOL I was gonna run for cover when I wrote that lolol 

I know I know I know, the ciggys did do her in and lower it- Im just so surprised at how low it got. Deeper than Bea's?

Cigarettes maybe, but booze?? She didn't have a drinking rep other than a story or two spread around  (which I'm convinced were more urban legend than not).

I don't know what made Lucy finally quit cigarettes in the 80s but I wouldn't have wanted to be Gary during her withdrawal.  Probably considered changing his name back to Goldapper and returning to the Catskills!

I think the doctors told her to stop because of her heart- it was taking its toll by that time, and already having heart issues, she stopped. i have a scanned letter of hers some where, where she asks 

Gary to forgive her for not being ill, and asks him to stop smoking ti take care of themselves. i have to find that.

There is a Lux radio play called Lucky Partners done in the early 40’s and Lucy’s voice on this is very high. Very similar to her voice here. It took me by surprise and I doubled checked it was her. I think she may have been pushing it higher for the character but why then when she was herself on this other radio show did she push it that high too?

Another time her voice amazes me is on a clip from one of those public domain tapes. It’s a promo for Life of a Model that Desilu produced. Joanne Dru comes out and talks with Desi for a bit. Lucy comes out and interrupts. She does all this in her “Lucy” voice and character but then halfway through turns to the camera and the shift to “Lucille” is drastic. She becomes more polished and the voice drops. Not to a bad level but to her normal speaking voice at that time (mid 50s). You so rarely get to hear that normal voice in the 50’s that when we hear the voice more in the 60’s we keep comparing it to what we know from the 50’s which was higher than normal.

One quality I always liked in Lucy’s voice is if she uses it right it has a breathy quality to it. Sort of a sexiness to it when she uses it in a more softer, quieter nature. Most evident of this is in Dark Corner but she turns it out many other times in the 40’s and I think she had it in her natural speaking voice too. I think she still could pull it off in the 60’s too. The voice drop was just enough for her to still use it that way. But the 70’s it was too far gone for her to put the subtleness into it to get it to sound breathy.

There is a Lux radio play called Lucky Partners done in the early 40’s and Lucy’s voice on this is very high. Very similar to her voice here. It took me by surprise and I doubled checked it was her. I think she may have been pushing it higher for the character but why then when she was herself on this other radio show did she push it that high too?

Another time her voice amazes me is on a clip from one of those public domain tapes. It’s a promo for Life of a Model that Desilu produced. Joanne Dru comes out and talks with Desi for a bit. Lucy comes out and interrupts. She does all this in her “Lucy” voice and character but then halfway through turns to the camera and the shift to “Lucille” is drastic. She becomes more polished and the voice drops. Not to a bad level but to her normal speaking voice at that time (mid 50s). You so rarely get to hear that normal voice in the 50’s that when we hear the voice more in the 60’s we keep comparing it to what we know from the 50’s which was higher than normal.

One quality I always liked in Lucy’s voice is if she uses it right it has a breathy quality to it. Sort of a sexiness to it when she uses it in a more softer, quieter nature. Most evident of this is in Dark Corner but she turns it out many other times in the 40’s and I think she had it in her natural speaking voice too. I think she still could pull it off in the 60’s too. The voice drop was just enough for her to still use it that way. But the 70’s it was too far gone for her to put the subtleness into it to get it to sound breathy.

I could read this over and over and over. Especially judging the 1960s speaking voice with the 1950s Lucy voice- i never thought of it that way before! 

Archived