A few more newspaper articles from Lucy and Desi later years

tropicjeff

Sorry it's been too long since I've updated my Lucy blog. This time I posted a few fun articles about Lucy and Desi when they were more or less out of the public spotlight. When Lucie or Desi Jr. got married, the parents got just about as much publicity as you can see in these articles.

I also posted an ad from the Lucy VHS/Beta tape years. Who recalls spending over $10 an episode on all of those bulky tapes?!?

Have fun.

Jeff

http://lucyarchives.blogspot.com/2014/06/later-years-of-lucy-and-desi-in.html

I remember that ad and bought half of those before I gave up, just too SPENSIVE, here it was close to fifty bucks for three eps, just ridiculous.  Since I ended up giving them away, I'm glad I stopped halfway.  Those are great articles, I find that saying Lucy had retired might be off though, she never did, she did Hope specials and award and quiz and talk shows and appeared on the Oscars a month before she passed so I wouldn't call her retired.  YOUR BLOG LOOKS TERRIFIC Jeff.  As do your avatar pics Freddie.

Sorry it's been too long since I've updated my Lucy blog. This time I posted a few fun articles about Lucy and Desi when they were more or less out of the public spotlight. When Lucie or Desi Jr. got married, the parents got just about as much publicity as you can see in these articles.

I also posted an ad from the Lucy VHS/Beta tape years. Who recalls spending over $10 an episode on all of those bulky tapes?!?

Have fun.

Jeff

This is really really nice. Awesome job and wonderful choice for clips

I totally appreciate ANYONE's hard work collecting, assembling, and SHARING Lucille Ball et al information(s); that's why I joined this Lounge, and it has, through the years, been a life-line of information which, hopefully, each member here who HAS shared, will enjoy....SOON! 

It's been a fantastic JOURNEY for this old lady, I can assure you of that - just another 'source' of Lucy information which should NEVER DIE!!!!  She, and her TEAM, have given FANS, and others, fodder, fun, and enjoyment for 60 years, and beyond;  I'd like to think WE are keeping it going.....  Thanks to all members of this wonderful Lounge!!!!   Loving each of you, and wish we could ALL meet each other in person....JK

Have fun.

Jeff

I remember when I saw that article and filled in the form and got my tapes. I was at work in the restroom doing my ....necessities.  :lucydisgust:  I saw a magazine and looked through it while I wait and saw the article. My Lucy moment in history.  So much $$$$$ I spent.  :lucyeww:

• 1 month later...

I have all of one (count 'em) of those tapes, bought it on ebay a few years before ILL came out on dvd because  it was dirt cheap (maybe 2 bucks) and wanted to at least have one of these, I remember the subscription was advertised in TV Guide constantly and with your first tape you got a free copy of Bart Andrews'  I LOVE LUCY BOOK, the revised edition of LUCY & RICKY & FRED & ETHEL, dude must have made some serious money from all those copies Columbia House purchased. I agree with Claude  they and all the other CH subscription titles were just ridiculously price at $30-40 or whatever it was a volume and with just THREE episodes?? What was up with that - they could have at least put FOUR comfortably on a videotape.  The ILL ads were all over the place in magazines, THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES subscription was also advertised quite a bit but I never saw any other ads that I remember other than GILLIGAN'S ISLAND and TWILIGHT ZONE once or twice.  There were dozens of these old shows put out in this subscription format - was very surprised to learn of them all a decade or so ago because I just never saw any ads beyond those four that I remember but they had THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW, MR ED, RAWHIDE, WAGON TRAIN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, PETTICOAT JUNCTION, SOAP, CHARLIE'S ANGELS, etc.  I bought a few of TCBS shows also on ebay and the specific volumes from MR ED and RAWHIDE because of the appearances of Mae West and Barbara Stanwyck respectively.

Yes, the prices were crazy, almost fifty bucks here if you included taxes, like YOU said, for three episodes.  I'd like to know how many gazillions CBS made off the series, money that could have gone to Lucy and Desi and then their kids if only they had held on to the series.

The only CH subscription I ever succumbed to was when they began their releases of The Lucy Show.

I think I was 9 or 10, or so, and finding the ad in a TV Guide browsing through a copy at the local drug store and almost plotzed on the spot. The next few weeks waiting for that tape were agony -- and then the post office went on strike for over a month. :angry:

My dad worked for the post office for over thirty years and it seemed they were ALWAYS on strike.  Strong union, of course his salary tripled in five years.  Those strikes were the main reason I NEVER subscribed to any magazines delivered directly at home through the mail as they were cheaper but you could go weeks without getting them.

Speaking of TV Guide, and I KNOW I'm repeating myself but getting that small magazine was always the highlight of my week.  Checking out what shows Lucy would be appearing on and the plots of her series' shows, her specials, guest shots on talk shows, quiz shows and what not.  OF COURSE, THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE YEAR WAS THE NEW FALL PREVIEW ISSUE which I would scour for all of her appearances in the new season.

• 2 months later...

Those video cassette tapes from Columbia House included The I Love Lucy Book by Bart Andrews and THAT book included an address for the We Love Lucy Fan Club.. Well... that pretty much was the foundation of my complete obsession with this woman, her work, her life and her legacy.  From Mr Andrews to Mr. Watson to all of you here on the lounge.. it has been and continues to be a thoroughly enjoyable ride!  

Those video cassette tapes from Columbia House included The I Love Lucy Book by Bart Andrews and THAT book included an address for the We Love Lucy Fan Club.. Well... that pretty much was the foundation of my complete obsession with this woman, her work, her life and her legacy.  From Mr Andrews to Mr. Watson to all of you here on the lounge.. it has been and continues to be a thoroughly enjoyable ride!  

Here, here! ;)

Archived