Lucy at Marineland

Forgive me if I already made a topic about this ep.

I LOVE this one but it's so far-fetched. Lucy should've just asked a park attendant to get Jerry's ball but she had to get it herself and ended up soaked in the process. And that didn't look like a baseball when he bounced it. And when she accidentally threw it over her head when she got splashed by the whale, it really flew all the way down to the porpoise pool? I love how Jerry calls her mommy at one point.

But I can't stand to look at Jimmy Peirsall. How the hell does that jerk get to be married and have 9 kids? Just because he's good looking and 6'5? He was very abusive, especially in the baseball clubhouse. He once spanked a player's son or something. Just look it up.

Why was Lucille crying for real when she was in the pool? I wouldn't be that afraid of a playful porpoise. And the water should've been refreshing, not freezing. How hot is it in Los Angeles in June?

• 2 weeks later...

she also could've tried to get herself off the diving board, lol. unless she was too scared to move. However, I love her commentary when she watches the bloopers with Steve Lawrence. "Dig this crazy mermaid, how'd she get in the act?"

Where can you watch the bloopers footage, with Lucy and Steve?

Agree that this "Steve Lawrence Show" was her best variety guest-stint.  Captured what made Lucy so unique.  Looking regal and glamourous (Canadian spelling though I got a red squiggly underline) standing at the top of the stairs, walking down gracefully like the showgirl she was.  And a moment later swinging from a chandelier.

And her singing was never better (as Fred would say "I can't argue with that").

I read that subsequent SL shows were shot in color.  Too bad this one wasn't. This was the year CBS went (almost) all color. 1965-66.  Dick Van Dyke's last season remained in b/w.  Don't know if there were any others.

About the Marineland episode: Maury's first directorial stint being a location shoot was certainly a trial by fire, and he didn't do a good job with the porpoise scene.  It looked like it was a nightmare for the editor, pieced together from various shots to attempt some cohesion, unsuccessfully.

The shot of Lucy and "Splash" the porpoise made one of the greatest TV Guide covers ever.

Love the opening scene with Harvey Korman.

They must have invented water-proof mascara and eye make up between 1962 and 1965 because she's wearing none  in the shower scene but is in full make up here.

The outtake scenes are funnier than the actual show.

I can't remember but does she have lashes on in any shots where she get's wet because those always came off when she got wet. I can't recall if she had them or not in the dunk tank in HL. They had to have waterproof makeup. How did everyone in those Ester Williams films look so good.

True,...didn't think of Esther.

I've never actually seen an entire Esther swimming movie, but have seen extended scenes of her various "Water Ballets".  The shot of her emerging from the pool with lit sparklers on her swim cap was actually shot in reverse motion.  I marvel at the clever ideas they came up with before CGI made it so easy.  "Special Effects" aren't nearly as special anymore, to me anyway.

I can't remember but does she have lashes on in any shots where she get's wet because those always came off when she got wet. I can't recall if she had them or not in the dunk tank in HL. They had to have waterproof makeup. How did everyone in those Ester Williams films look so good.

OMG I was just thinking about this topic the other day and took screen pics of the time she gets wet up in ILL but still wears her lashes. 

In one scene, I HAVE to post it- she has on little to no make up after getting wet- one second, her eyes brows are hardly on, and she has no lashes, then next second, she's partially dried, eyebrows are re-applied and though, no mascara, her lashes are reapplied. 

This is what I give her make up artists credit for, realizing and maintaining the IMAGE of Lucy Ricardo. 

I noticed in Lucy and Ethel install a shower, she knows she'll be in the water for so much of the ep that she has no lashes on and maybe almost no eye make up but then in the scene afterwards where she's wearing a towel in her hair, she's back in make up for the wrap up scene.

I watched You Can't Fool Your Wife the other night and realized how little makeup she wears in the first half of the movie. No lashes until she gets a makeover and even the lips are down played. It took me a while to figure what was off and realized it was to make her more dowdy, but with the minimal makeup here she looks so fresh faced pretty.

Unfortunately, sometimes she wore more make up that Bozo the Clown.  But it was the era she worked in, I am amazed how many actresses looked like her at some point, seems the studio make up people did the same type make up and hair for so many stars.  I look at some photos from my many star books and some look so much like her it's incredible.  The Monroe documentary confirms that Marilyn slept her way to the top as everybody else in Hollywood was doing at that point.  And do you think Shel, that some actresses, due to their status at some studios were given the best make up and hair people to work on them?

Never paid that much attention to her makeup in the final porpoise scene. And the editing isn't that great in the last 10 minutes either. Lucy is acting like a seal while the seal is facing her. Then in the next shot, it's turned towards the other seal.

And I am laughing at your Bozo the Clown comparison, Claude. lol.

Archived