Lucy vs Roseanne

Was Roseanne in any way similar to I Love Lucy? It was different because Roseanne had a job. But the show was the top show for most of it's run, and she had control over it, like Lucy. Since it premiered in 1988, I wonder what our Lucy thought of it. No I should NEVER compare I Love Lucy to that show! There was one episode where Dan threw a fit and punched a hole in the wall and Rose was trying to act like she didn't have a lot to do with it. Kind of like when Ricky took his anger out on the bric-a-brac in Hollywood.

:viv1: HE KILLED HER AND TRIED TO HIDE HER BODY UNDER THE COUCH!

There was another where Rose said something and Dan went "Luuuucccy . . ." lol

I've sort of been obsessed with that show lately, lol. It's kind of like The Middle (that show with Patricia Heaton and the kid who whispers to himself). Frankie couldn't sell a car at the dealership so Mr. Elhert fired her and now she's a dental assistant, and Mike works at a quarry and they still live on junk food.

A lot of episodes of Roseanne are very funny. My mom loved the Halloween episodes. The end of the series was really depressing though, how Dan really didn't survive the heart attack at Darlene's wedding.

The series started off great, it was REAL life as opposed to regular sitcoms.  BUT, once Rosie took over the show, that last season was just the worst, nothing funny at all.  I have all nine seasons, and the bonus one with all the Halloween episodes which were the best.   The acting was great, the writing very different, Shelley Winters even playing the grandma at one point, Estelle Parsons, as Rosie's mother was also quite impressive.

I've sort of been obsessed with that show lately, lol. 

OMG the same thing is happening to me!lol I really didn't pay much attention to the show earlier in HS and college, and now I see, 

the older I get, the more I get it- the more I get its pace, and its comedy and the subject matter- Its really a good show. I liked it back then but now I'm really getting into it :D 

I wish I would have known Lucy's take on the show though.

I would so get the complete series. Man, I wish we could've heard Miss Ball's opinion on it. Roseanne was doing stand up well before the show started, as well. Maybe as early as 1983. I just picked up on how she always tells the kids to "GET DOWN HERE!" in her nasally Illinois accent. lol

And although Rosie used to say that SHE HATED I LOVE LUCY AS LUCY WAS ALWAYS BEGGING RICKY FOR MONEY, she later said some nice things about Lucy and the shows.  Didn't she even appear on the 50th anniversary tribute to the show?  And that Barbara Walters rerun of the bigger names on her specials, she featured Lucy and Roseanne and compared them all the way through.

THIRTY BUCKS FOR THE WHOLE SERIES?  Are you serious, Rosie's gonna be furious at the money she's losing here!

Mill Creek is re-releasing a lot of DVD titles on the cheap of many popular series, including hit Carsey-Warner shows such as Roseanne, Cosby, That 70's Show and Grounded for Life; however still no sign of Grace Under Fire for some reason. 

They also recently struck a deal to release and have begun doing so Sony titles including Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Just Shoot Me, Wings and several others.  My hope is that since Sony sucks the worst of all the studios about getting classic TV titles out in their entirety -- eg. All in the Family, Hazel, etc. which Shout! thankfully picked up the gauntlet and completed their runs -- is that finally maybe just maybe they'll complete such stalled series as The Nanny, Mad About You and especially, Maude which so deserves an official DVD release but at this point seems will never happen.

The good thing about Mill Creek is they are affordable; the down side as I understand it -- and this gets technical so I won't explain it properly, sorry! -- it that to put them out so cheaply they squeeze many more episodes on each disc and thus the picture quality suffers -- especially compared to any pristine original releases we're accustomed to -- but having said that and not yet bought any to compare "side by side", I don't know how true that is. 

The upside is it makes collecting our fave series much easier to do and perhaps a formerly casual fan will be now more prone to pick these up since they're a fraction of the cost of the original studio releases. Also, keeps these titles visible in the marketplace (I've already seen them at Target and Walmart for example), which is always a good thing.

What makes me crazy about all this though is this seems to prove that DVDs could have and should have been released much cheaper in the first place why else would this company go to the trouble if there's no profit incentive??

I just continue to hope that they'll "do the right thing" and put out in their entirety those shows which have not seen a complete series release of every single season. Oy! ;)

Yeah, was looking at my dvd shelves today and realize I also have loads of series that I only own partly.  Bringing the prices down makes sense if it means greater sales and more great material out there.  I'm anxiously awaiting Mad About You myself.  Those Carol Burnett guesting ones were at the end I think.

I was at Walmart last week and almost had a heart attack when I saw that they seem to have rereleased the first season of every classic show you could think of! Just about every MTM and Norman Lear production. And the best part- ten bucks each!

I was at Walmart last week and almost had a heart attack when I saw that they seem to have rereleased the first season of every classic show you could think of! Just about every MTM and Norman Lear production. And the best part- ten bucks each!

I've noticed that too, that Walmart has usually a whole section of older TV shows which they sell for $10 - $15 -- definitely a great way to catch up on some missing titles! ;)

Archived