The Lucy Show Prime Time Reruns

Season 1:  11 of the 30 episodes were rerun.  The other 19 were not seen again until 1969 as part of CBS's morning airings, and then only after all the color shows had aired.  The first season b/w shows were only run twice and then dumped for all-color, (ditto Beverly Hillbillies and Andy Griffith).  TLS had enough episodes that running them 5 days a week took about 6 months to get through the whole series.  So give or take, the color episodes had 8 morning runs each before the end in 1972.

In order

May 6  Electric Mattress

Waits Up for Chris (curious this wasn't the first rerun)

Volunteer Firewomen

TV Antenna

Chris's New Years Eve Party

Kangaroo for a Day

Judo

Barbershop Quartet

Music Lover

Lucy's Sis

Visit White House ended the season on July 15th

Then it was: "While Lucy's on a holiday, the stars are......" (Vacation Playhouse)

Surprise omission: the 1st season classic Lucy and Viv Install a Shower!

But we weren't Lucy-less in the summer.  We had I Love Lucy in the morning and The Lucy Desi Comedy Hour on Saturday night.

I remember the Lucy Dei Comedy Hour every summer, that was the best part of summer for ME.  Why on earth they did not do The Lucy show in color from day one I will never understand, they didn't even start AIRING them in color till what?  Season four?  Lucy and Desi both knew that color shows sold for more in syndication.

It was Desi's decision to film The Lucy Show in black-and-white. The quote I remember is "She's just as funny in black-and-white".  It wasn't until after Lucy took over as Pres that the show was filmed in color.  As was their ABC show "Greatest Show on Earth", also originally shown in b-w.  Though "Glynis" was not, but the Ethel Merman pilot was.

In his defense, he was not the only short-sighted person when it came to color, because all the ABC and CBS shows stubbornly stuck to b-w.  Filming in color was more expensive, of course, but there was the issue of RCA (parent company to NBC) having some sort of patent and they didn't want to help their rival.

In retrospect and hindsight being 20-20, it would seem that they should have seen that color was coming and they would benefit in the lucrative syndication market with color.

In researching this, I dug up some other tidbits:

The headline for an article about the 1965 departure of Vivian Vance was "Vivian Vance to Leave the "I Love Lucy" Show"

In their thumbnail preview of "Lucy and Viv Reminisce" they stated "Lucy gets a visit from her old pal ETHEL MERTZ" (??!!)

I love these little previews.

Here's what they had to say about "Baking Contest".  I especially like the last line.

"Put Lucy in a kitchen and sure fire laughs come out.  Lucy tries to bake a pie for a local contest and acts like an 8 year old---meaning she's very funny.  Her gestures and her concentration are really worth your time."

Season 2 ran two reruns on April 5th and 12th, "College Reunion" and "Florence Nightingale", the latter up against ABC's Oscar showing.  Then there were the final two new episodes of the season: "Lucy Serves a Summons" and "Baking Contest".  Only 8 of the 27 episodes were rerun.

"Locked in Vault" started the official rerun cycle on May 4th followed by

"Safe Cracker"
"Duck Hunting"

"Merman 1"

"Merman 2"

"Takes up Golf" on June 8th with "Vacation Playhouse" started on June 15th, the earliest of any season that TLS went off for the summer.

Most glaring omission: "Conducts a Symphony" which had its one showing on Dec. 30th.  I also would have chosen "Meets a Millionaire" , "Chris Elopes, "Takes a Job at the Bank" (and numerous others) for reruns over "Golf" and "College Reunion".

The "Symphony" season was the one year she was not nominated for The Lucy Show.  (64-65 Emmys tried a new system with no nominations, so not counting that year).  The 5 nominees for LEAD actress in a comedy for  the 63-64 season were Irene Ryan, Patty Duke, Shirley Booth (winner of the previous 2 seasons), Inger Stevens and winner Mary Tyler Moore, the only one who doesn't really qualify as LEAD, I say.

The "Symphony" season was the one year she was not nominated for The Lucy Show.  (64-65 Emmys tried a new system with no nominations, so not counting that year).  The 5 nominees for LEAD actress in a comedy for  the 63-64 season were Irene Ryan, Patty Duke, Shirley Booth (winner of the previous 2 seasons), Inger Stevens and winner Mary Tyler Moore, the only one who doesn't really qualify as LEAD, I say.

"64-65 Emmys tried a new system with no nominations..." Huh? What's meant by this? I don't get it, how could they not have nominees??

I have to disagree about the MTM comment.... watching TDVDS on Blu-Ray from the beginning and even in the early shows this lady shows the burgeoning talent that blossomed throughout the run of the series.  ;)

"64-65 Emmys tried a new system with no nominations..." Huh? What's meant by this? I don't get it, how could they not have nominees??

I have to disagree about the MTM comment.... watching TDVDS on Blu-Ray from the beginning and even in the early shows this lady shows the burgeoning talent that blossomed throughout the run of the series.  ;)

Rod Serling was behind changing the emmys from what he called a horse race to acknowledgement of excellence.  So there weren't any of the categories as there had been in the past and would be in the future. Just 4 main categories which had multiple nominees and winners.  All performers were lumped in one category and there was not a lead actress in a comedy among them, probably robbing Elizabeth Montgomery of her best chance of an Emmy for Bewitched.  "The Dick Van Dyke Show" was the only comedy in "Outstanding Achievements in Entertainment" and this really should have been "Bewitched"'s year.

Not knocking MTM in TDVDS.  I just don't consider her in the "lead" category, like Lucy, Shirley Booth, Patty Duke or even Inger Stevens.  While she had plenty of stand-out episodes where she was central to the plot, there were many others where she was supporting.  When a player vacillates between a leading part in a show and a supporting role, it's hard to know how to categorize them.  The rule of thumb seems to be if your character is married to the lead, you qualify as lead.

Rod Serling was behind changing the emmys from what he called a horse race to acknowledgement of excellence.  So there weren't any of the categories as there had been in the past and would be in the future. Just 4 main categories which had multiple nominees and winners.  All performers were lumped in one category and there was not a lead actress in a comedy among them, probably robbing Elizabeth Montgomery of her best chance of an Emmy for Bewitched.  "The Dick Van Dyke Show" was the only comedy in "Outstanding Achievements in Entertainment" and this really should have been "Bewitched"'s year.

Not knocking MTM in TDVDS.  I just don't consider her in the "lead" category, like Lucy, Shirley Booth, Patty Duke or even Inger Stevens.  While she had plenty of stand-out episodes where she was central to the plot, there were many others where she was supporting.  When a player vacillates between a leading part in a show and a supporting role, it's hard to know how to categorize them.  The rule of thumb seems to be if your character is married to the lead, you qualify as lead.

Okay, I see your argument about Mary on TDVDS but I still feel she was just as much as the female lead on that show even though it was a weird combo of star vehicle (Van Dyke) and ensemble cast comedy....hey wait, that sounds a whole lot like the later Mary Tyler Moore Show! Hmmmmm....

And thanks for the insightful comments about how Liz Montgomery was most likely "robbed" of her most well-deserved (for the first season especially) Emmy win....I always thought it disgraceful that she was repeatedly overlooked and yet so deserving -- at least once -- for the role we'll most remember and became beloved for!

Speaking of "Bewitched"....one of the activities I will probably miss due to my relocation is the soon-upcoming 50th Anniversary "Bewitched" Fan Fare celebration here in Studio City in a couple of weeks, led by ardent BW champion and fan Mark Simpson ("the Bewitched Collector"). 

Mark's threatening that this is the last of these celebrations (due to cost, scheduling headaches, etc. etc.) so I hate to miss it but it may be unavoidable.  For any "Bewitched" fans here on the board I heartily suggest checking out his website set up for the event, which includes the schedule of events as well as the many guests he's got lined up to attend -- it looks very impressive and I honestly don't see how everyone who's to attend is going to have time enough to speak!! 

Check it out here:  http://bewitchedfanfare.wix.com/bewitchedfanfare2014

ec3bdd625223001786b1b51af514af43.jpeg

Back to topic:

Season 3 reran 14 episodes, the first was a pre-series of repeats run of  Danny Kaye (opposite the Oscars, I think)

After the final new episodes, the rerun cycle began on  4/18  with

Good Skate (the season premiere)

Jack Benny-Plumber

Monsters (Witches)

Becomes a Father

Arthur Godfrey

Worlds Fair Robbers

Beauty Doctor

Winter Sports

Countess: Charm School

Countess: Health Farm

Countess: Mansion

Missing Stamp on July 5th

There was one last rerun on July 12, 1965 but episode was not noted in paper.

"Glynis" took over on July 19th. I don't think they reran all 13.

Interesting that they chose not to rerun the first Countess episode.  I would have picked it over "Beauty Doctor" for sure.

I am fascinated by both the choices CBS made regarding primetime reruns of THE LUCY SHOW and the decisions made by Emmy voters (every year really, but as the discussion is pointed to the '60s, this decade in particular) regarding the nominees and winners. 

Count me among those that find Montgomery's snub to be the decade's greatest err. I concur with Neil that had there been a category for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series for the '64-'65 season, she would have been the recipient. As for Miss Moore, I do believe she deserved both of the trophies she earned as Laura Petrie (of course, high quality scripts had a lot to do with it as well), and that she was the logical choice for the '65-'66 season, THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW's last.

Also, at the risk of offending my fellow posters, I would also suggest that Montgomery's second best chance of snagging the award would have been for the '66-'67 season -- one of BEWITCHED's funniest, and a season of THE LUCY SHOW that I have several times decried as inadequate. Did she deserve it over Lucy? Perhaps. However, I believe that Lucy's series was much better in the '67-'68 season, and that the scripts gave her more opportunities for personal excellence. So as much as I would have liked to see the completely unique Paula Prentiss win for my beloved HE & SHE, I think Lucy's '68 win was, again, the most logical choice. 

Yet, without turning this thread into another discussion about our individual preferences regarding the Danfield years and the California years, I must confess my sentiments that Lucy most deserved to win for the '62-'63 season, even over the wonderful Shirley Booth, whose series simply couldn't hold a candle to the early years of THE LUCY SHOW, and that first season in particular. I find that to be an odd win, especially since Booth had also won the year prior. Lucy did some outstanding work this first season (the best of which wasn't even rerun by CBS --  another odd decision), and looking at the nominees today, it would seem that Lucy's greatest competition should have been Moore, not Booth. 

Meanwhile, I would also have liked to see Marlo Thomas take home the award once for THAT GIRL. It was never a brilliantly written series, but it was charming, and she was quite often very funny. Thus, as delightful as Hope Lange is (and there's no contest from me about her abilities as an actress), I question whether or not she deserved to be crowned the Outstanding Lead Actress for both of the two years that she was on the air as Mrs. Muir. (Granted, I do believe the competition was steeper in the middle parts of the decade when Moore was around and the majority of those supernatural and wacky single-camera shows were in their early, golden years.) 

A few very strong contenders were snubbed this decade in favor of several powerhouses. And while competition was tough, I think it may have been even tougher the following decade. While I do contend that Jean Stapleton and Moore were brilliant and probably the best of he bunch in the early '70s, I still am shocked that Lucy never was nominated for her work on HERE'S LUCY. The scripts were often inferior to the competition's, but, as usual, our redhead did some brilliant stuff, especially in the first and the last two seasons. It was all about competition, I suppose. And while many of these ladies were not equals to Lucy, they often had better writing. 

W O W, that was incredibly eloquent.  Perhaps your best post ever, your knowledge of the people involved and the industry are just so well stated, congratulations, that's what I call a perfect post.  Compared to your great post, this might seem kind of stupid, but I state again that the Emmys seemed to have a thing for giving the award to only the most sophisticated nominees, hence Irene Ryan never winning for Granny/Hillbillies.  Hope Lange was the same, as was Shirley Booth when out of uniform.  Same with Lucy of course, head of a studio, proving she was really nothing like the character she played.  Which is why I think your best point, as with Neil, was making a case for Liz Montgommery in Bewitched.  She was the perfect choice for people who loved their actresses who exuded sophistication.  And she elevated her material to incredible heights.  I also agree about Marlo, I never missed That Girl, or Hazel for that matter.  But Marlo being the daughter of Danny certainly knew all about portraying the perfect sitcom character and she also brought flair and witty repartee to new heights.  I also enjoyed He and She as much as you and I and the critics did.  Both the leads were terrific in movies of course but this show should have been moved to a better time slot as it was very good.

For the 4th season "Wingding" was rerun during the Christmas week.

Reruns started in March for the first time, the 27th and they chose

"Wayne Newton" which had been run for the first time 3 months earlier, followed by

Art Linkletter

Danny Thomas

Clint Walker-Sweater (the 2nd Clint episode)

Dean Martin

Countess's Horse

Bags a Bargain-Department Store

Ironman 1

Countess and Spies

Mickey Rooney

Hollywood Premiere

Bob Stack

Bob Crane

Meets Clint Walker (1st Clint episode)

then Vacation Playhouse on July 4th

Curious omission: "Marineland"  and that the Clint Walker episodes were run in reverse order.

"Lucy and Joan and Keith Andes" is a pretty delightful episode but was not rerun.  Other than her Chaplin, there's not much to recommend the Mickey Rooney episode.

And not to diminish my respect for Mary Tyler Moore as Laura Petrie,  but Lucy could actually do that type of comedy.  I'd like to see Mary pull off a Dick Van Dyke episode where she disguises herself as Ironman Petrie!

Archived