Did Lucy ever break character?

It didn't look like Lucy ever held in her laughter or off guard reaction to a funny line. I know in HL there were a couple ad-libs like the doorknobs line, and her line with Phil Harris. In I Love Lucy, I feel like there were a couple times where you could see her laugh, and there were a couple adlibs because of her not understanding what Desi said. like "buyer me" instead of "badger" me.

In Kiddie Parties Inc, the "some of these sound like they're in agony" line sounds adlibbed because of the sound the balloons made. Now every time I blow one up and it makes a loud squeak I say that. I thought she did not like ad-libbing.

Was just watching Lucy Goes to Vegas and when Viv says her line about Lucy returning something to Bigelows, it looks like she tries not to laugh, unless Viv was supposed to say it like that.

I just love watching the Milton Berle one with the salad dressing oozing down his face and watching Lucy trying to make sure everybody says their lines, but once it's done and then the one piece of lettuce falls in the bowl, by accident, she just breaks up completely and looks to the sidelines to someone, maybe saying CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT HAPPENED?

Gotta see that. I just remembered Lucy and the Franchise Fiasco which was a fiasco in itself during the taping. I heard Lucy at the end just shrugged while wearing the penguin suit, as if to say "I guess we can't help how these birds cooperate with us!" And what about the TLS shower episode after she almost drowned? I heard her distressed face just before the Lloyd Bridges line was unscripted. OT but I love how the crew made a sign that said "PLEASE DO NOT FEED." I wonder if

a lot of the episodes with the animals (Irving the Chimp, the baby chimps in Lucy the Babysitter, etc) were a lot of Lucy ad-libs, but she was still trying to stay in character.

We all know Desi broke character often, especially in Cuban Pals. And in TV Commercial when he's clearly trying not to laugh as Lucy recites the commercial.

Ha, Claude!

OT but every time something doesn't turn out the way I wanted, I always think back to the end of Lucy Goes to Vegas when Lucy accidentally threw the 5 dollar chip and lost it and they figure their Pamela and Penelope schtick is over. Viv is like "Well Pamela . . ." and Lucy is like "OK Penelope . . ." lol!

We all know Desi broke character often, especially in Cuban Pals. And in TV Commercial when he's clearly trying not to laugh as Lucy recites the commercial.

In "Commercial" she did sort of an ad lib because she messed up her scripted lines when doing her commercial spiel.  But she recovered so flawlessly, you can't tell she's ad libbing or that she messed up her lines.

• 8 months later...

Just watched a few LWL's yesterday and LOVED -- hokey/corny as it was -- her rapport with John Ritter! Not only was he in top form, her scene with him in which she could barely keep from laughing (this is notorious according to her as one of the few times in her career she yelled "cut" -- something I find very hard to believe given her penchant for being "in control"!) and if you watch closely, it appears she's really biting her bottom lip to try and keep from doing so! So wish she'd appeared -- even if only a cameo -- on 3sC so that they could have worked together again -- they really had a great "chemistry" together -- and their mutual fondness was quite apparent.

Loved him, gone too soon and what a class act! :peachonthebeach:

Archived