Luise Rainer dies at 104

Brock

I know, just read it on the blogs, shame more people don't know of her, she should have been a guest on talk shows, i mean two Oscars, not a mean feat and she did it so long ago too.  Well, 104, that HAS TO BE some kind of record for an actress.  TCM should play her two Oscar winning roles as a tribute.

Senior-most Oscar winner and first to win consecutively. This really is a shame. The Great Ziegfeld and the Good Earth especially are wonderful movies. She wasn't too far away from 105. I hope she was in good health. I had an aunt who died last year at 105 and she was still sharp as a tack. Usually when somebody make it that far they're in pretty good shape. She was the first actress to stand up against Louis B Mayer about his treatment of stars which cost her an MGM contract. RIP to a true survivor.

Senior-most Oscar winner and first to win consecutively. This really is a shame. The Great Ziegfeld and the Good Earth especially are wonderful movies. She wasn't too far away from 105. I hope she was in good health. I had an aunt who died last year at 105 and she was still sharp as a tack. Usually when somebody make it that far they're in pretty good shape. She was the first actress to stand up against Louis B Mayer about his treatment of stars which cost her an MGM contract. RIP to a true survivor.

Really?  Did not know that about her, that's great.

She was still very sharp - she did an interview with Robert Osborne two years ago - great interview on TCM and yes it was two weeks before her 105th birthday.

My God, what genes the woman had.  I felt the same way when i heard Art  Linkletter speaking at 90 something and he was as sharp as a tack.  Same for Betty White of course.

She was still very sharp - she did an interview with Robert Osborne two years ago - great interview on TCM and yes it was two weeks before her 105th birthday.

THAT interview re-played last night and I was awake to see it; GREAT - she had lost her hearing aid; but, came on anyway!   What a trouper! Bob wrote her questions on notes and boy, oh, boy, did she give out the stuff' - I thoroughly enjoyed that hour of time.  And...still beautiful at over a hundred!  I don't know when I've enjoyed an hour so much!

Archived