Donna Douglas dies at 81

Brock

...according to TMZ.

R.I.P. Ellie May. :(

O M G the first one in quite a while that actually makes me sad.   God how i loved her on my second favorite show after Lucy, The Beverly Hillbillies.  What did she pass away from?  Terminal loveliness and sweetness?  She was so beautiful and helped make that show the HIT it was for almost a decade.  The four leads on that show brought such skill to their roles that it looked like their parts were written just for them.  Shame that the television academy, in their infinite wisdom, looked down on shows of this nature, as all four would have garnered Emmys for their great work.  They were definitely better than the material handed to them.  And, even in real life, she seemed such a wonderful human being.

O M G the first one in quite a while that actually makes me sad.   God how i loved her on my second favorite show after Lucy, The Beverly Hillbillies.  What did she pass away from?  Terminal loveliness and sweetness?  She was so beautiful and helped make that show the HIT it was for almost a decade.  The four leads on that show brought such skill to their roles that it looked like their parts were written just for them.  Shame that the television academy, in their infinite wisdom, looked down on shows of this nature, as all four would have garnered Emmys for their great work.  They were definitely better than the material handed to them.  And, even in real life, she seemed such a wonderful human being.

I feel EXACTLY the same - this is the first star death in a long, long time I had been this sad about.  She was so beautiful and such a kind person by all accounts, a lovely person highly active in charities including work for animals.  She's right up there with Farrah Fawcett and any other tv blonde as one of the great small-screen bombshells, love her so much this really really makes me sad.

Claude, your post was as beautiful as Donna herself.  Thank you.

I feel EXACTLY the same - this is the first star death in a long, long time I had been this sad about.  She was so beautiful and such a kind person by all accounts, a lovely person highly active in charities including work for animals.  She's right up there with Farrah Fawcett and any other tv blonde as one of the great small-screen bombshells, love her so much this really really makes me sad.

Claude, your post was as beautiful as Donna herself.  Thank you.

Gee thanks, just spoke from the heart.  I loved her so as a kid, and yes, over the years, followed her and saw that she was just as beautiful inside as she was outside.  You know how i knew it would affect me, the shock when i saw her name on the thread Brock started, i figured she was much too young to go.  But she went from a terrible illness, pancreatic cancer is swift unfortunately, people can go in months, even weeks.  A beautiful light has been dimmed but she'll always be in our memories and like Lucy, we have her on film for eternity.  I was watching some Hillbillies shows just last week.

Gee thanks, just spoke from the heart.  I loved her so as a kid, and yes, over the years, followed her and saw that she was just as beautiful inside as she was outside.  You know how i knew it would affect me, the shock when i saw her name on the thread Brock started, i figured she was much too young to go.  But she went from a terrible illness, pancreatic cancer is swift unfortunately, people can go in months, even weeks.  A beautiful light has been dimmed but she'll always be in our memories and like Lucy, we have her on film for eternity.  I was watching some Hillbillies shows just last week.

There has to be a photo of Donna and Lucy SOMEWHERE after all they were both top CBS stars together for nine years.  I did pull up a great photo of Donna, Carol Burnett, Bob Hope, and Richard Chamberlain from the 1964 TV Guide Awards where Carol and Bob won Favorite Comedienne and Comedian and Donna and Richard won Favorite Series Actress and Actor (yes she was that popular at one point) - alas, it's on the photo site where they are marked.  It's a shame the 50s/60s tv  stars were really locked into their shows and the industry wouldn't cast them as other characters in motion pictures.  Today Donna would be immediately sought for movies and Vivian Vance would have been offered major dramatic roles. And Lucy herself would have undoubtably been cast in some major dramatic films not just the (great) comedies she did. 

I hope the morning and talk shows remember her Monday.  Sadly, most of these appear to be run by executives in their thirties who could care less about stars who haven't been "hot" in the last 20 years.  I didn't get home in time to see the full CBS Evening News, hopefully they mentioned her after all she made millions for that network for almost a decade. 

Re your comment about her death hitting you harder than any star in a long time, I think that's because back then we loved our movie and tv stars, we may admire the talent of the current actors but really how many of them inspire true affection with the audience?  I doubt there are many young people today who collect photos and make scrapbooks of the current crop of names.  It's a cold relationship underlined by the chicken scratch that passes for "autographs" of latterday "names"  while the classic era people wrote elegantly and with warm inscriptions.   I can't imagine some of today's big names, for example, talking with the respect Lucy did when mentioning her fans. 

Re your comment about her death hitting you harder than any star in a long time, I think that's because back then we loved our movie and tv stars, we may admire the talent of the current actors but really how many of them inspire true affection with the audience?  I doubt there are many young people today who collect photos and make scrapbooks of the current crop of names.  It's a cold relationship underlined by the chicken scratch that passes for "autographs" of latterday "names"  while the classic era people wrote elegantly and with warm inscriptions.   I can't imagine some of today's big names, for example, talking with the respect Lucy did when mentioning her fans. 

I think the reason it hit me hard was the fact that i just can't picture her as 81, she will eternally be young and gorgeous to me.  As for your comment on autographs, i hear they have mostly been replaced by selfies with the stars lately.  And i remember those TV Guide awards, it was so nice seeing The cast of Hillbillies being acknowledged for once, this was voted by the public you see and they were the hottest show on tv in the sixties, some of their episodes were in the top ten shows of all time for decades, their ratings were so huge.  And to see them all gussied up, granny looking like a million in a white fox fur wrap and and evening gown, not to mention her hair, beautifully coiffed, kept expecting her to lift the train of her dress to reveal those old boots. 

Archived