66-67 Emmys: Comedy directing and series

Neil

Pretty impressive that Maury Thompson got a Lucy Show directing nomination, though I don't know what it was based on.  I don't know when it started that shows would submit specific episodes for Emmy consideration.  Note that he is indeed at a different table than The Lucy Show people as they were on the outs after Maury asked for more money. Maury did little directing after that.  I think he did a few Mothers In Law.    I've always felt Lucy's win for the 5th season was well-deserved.  No one had a heavier burden than Lucy.  It's hard to imagine any of the other actresses pulling off "Substitute Secretary" which ties with "Flies to London" is her best performance.  It's hard to watch cute little Annisa Jones with Durante, knowing the she would die before he did by two or three years.

I never saw "The Monkees".  This was not a stellar year for "Andy Griffith".  "Bewitched" in its 3rd season was starting to lose its luster.  This was the first season without the great Alice Pearce, though we still had Marion Lorne.    "Monkees" star rose and fell pretty quickly.  I never saw it.   It lasted for only one more season was not up for any emmys the following year.  "Get Smart" was amusing enough but was it the best TV could offer in comedy?  (For the next two years the voters said 'yes')  "Family Affair" had some dignity but barely qualified as a comedy.

I love how Batman and The Flintstones got Outststanding Comedy Series nominations. The '60s Emmys were more desperate than nowadays!

I may big to differ, at least with The Flintstones: it was loosely based on The Honeymooners, was well-written and pretty much The Simpsons of its time, plus 50+ years later, the show still holds up (well, at least the earlier, pre-Gazoo ones!). 

I may big to differ, at least with The Flintstones: it was loosely based on The Honeymooners, was well-written and pretty much The Simpsons of its time, plus 50+ years later, the show still holds up (well, at least the earlier, pre-Gazoo ones!). 

So true, we grew up with that show.

Pretty impressive that Maury Thompson got a Lucy Show directing nomination, though I don't know what it was based on.  I don't know when it started that shows would submit specific episodes for Emmy consideration.  Note that he is indeed at a different table than The Lucy Show people as they were on the outs after Maury asked for more money. Maury did little directing after that.  I think he did a few Mothers In Law.    I've always felt Lucy's win for the 5th season was well-deserved.  No one had a heavier burden than Lucy.  It's hard to imagine any of the other actresses pulling off "Substitute Secretary" which ties with "Flies to London" is her best performance.  It's hard to watch cute little Annisa Jones with Durante, knowing the she would die before he did by two or three years.

I never saw "The Monkees".  This was not a stellar year for "Andy Griffith".  "Bewitched" in its 3rd season was starting to lose its luster.  This was the first season without the great Alice Pearce, though we still had Marion Lorne.    "Monkees" star rose and fell pretty quickly.  I never saw it.   It lasted for only one more season was not up for any emmys the following year.  "Get Smart" was amusing enough but was it the best TV could offer in comedy?  (For the next two years the voters said 'yes')  "Family Affair" had some dignity but barely qualified as a comedy.

I agree, Get Smart was good, Alice Pearce was the very best and The Monkees, saw every single show and quite innovative but best comedy, i dun't thin so!  Family Affair was such boring sugar coated crap, i hated it, i watched it but i hated it, LOL!

Notice Lucy has left her seat when best comedy series is announced, hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  Her form of protest for her show not even being nominated?  LOL!  

Anissa was so cute, Barbara Bain so stunningly gorgeous, and Durante funny as hell.

Whaddya mean "only"?? Remember that other classic sitcom that helped Desi "invent" the rerun (not to mention syndication, residuals, etc. etc.)??? It ran "only" six seasons too!!! :vanda:

I meant only SIX because other shows at that time ran nine or even more years and look at today's The Simpsons or SNL, those shows could collect Social Security soon.  I just thought because it was ALWAYS on when i was a kid or teen that it ran longer, so sue me.  And I Love Lucy ran nine years, three as the Lucy Desi comedy hour, same cast and situations but an hour instead of a half hour, LOL! :D

I meant only SIX because other shows at that time ran nine or even more years and look at today's The Simpsons or SNL, those shows could collect Social Security soon.  I just thought because it was ALWAYS on when i was a kid or teen that it ran longer, so sue me.  And I Love Lucy ran nine years, three as the Lucy Desi comedy hour, same cast and situations but an hour instead of a half hour, LOL! :D

I hear ya but I'm not CBS trying to convince the gullible "general public" that the hour-long "specials" were 3 more seasons of ILL just to sell DVDs! :lucyeww:

Besides, you and I both know that shows are lucky to run 1 or 2 seasons anymore let alone 6 and that "the Simpsons" and others mentioned are the exception(s) not the rule! :peachonthebeach:

I hear ya but I'm not CBS trying to convince the gullible "general public" that the hour-long "specials" were 3 more seasons of ILL just to sell DVDs! :lucyeww:

Besides, you and I both know that shows are lucky to run 1 or 2 seasons anymore let alone 6 and that "the Simpsons" and others mentioned are the exception(s) not the rule! :peachonthebeach:

But as we've said lately, makes you wonder how Wings lasted nine seasons and then How i met your mother, for eight, is it because the studio or network had a sweet deal?  Or even crap shows like According to Jim and the like, how come they weren't cancelled?

Hmm... I've been watching Wings reruns on Comedy Gold lately and found it has held up well. It's still a pretty funny show.

I watch it also, love it, but i recall the things people used to say about it at that time, i mean the critics, they were merciless at the end of it's long run.

Archived