Ricky spanking Lucy--do you oppose?

I love how Ricky says he couldn't sit down for a week after he gambled as a kid/teen/whatever.

Do you think this was really Ricky spanking Lucy like a child or was it basically flirting? And why are parents so afraid to spank their naughty kids for fear of "abusing" them?

I'm sure as children we ALL got put in the corner for time out, grounded, or worse, spanked on the fanny. I got my share of spankings as a child but from what I remember it wasn't that often. And I turned out fine. Why do today's parents think swatting their widdle bottoms is abuse if nothing else works for punishment? It's not like you're beating the kid until he starts bleeding or turning black and blue. My aunt used to put hot sauce on my little cousin's tongue if he was bad and boy was he a handful when he was like, 4 and 5. My grandpa also gave you your ass on a silver platter if you were bad. My aunts and uncle have told me this several times, and my aunt has a wooden paddle that her grandparents used on them. Luckily Grandpa never had to spank me, I don't think, but maybe he did once or twice and I don't remember. I knew from a young age that I had to respect him and be good around him. It's not like I was afraid of the man, he was one of the nicest men you'd ever want to meet, but he knew a thing or 2 about discipline and respect. My GRANDMA on the other hand . . . I don't ever remember her spanking any of my cousins. I'm sure she did when my grandpa used to work 3 jobs and had to look after 6 kids.

I love how Ricky says he couldn't sit down for a week after he gambled as a kid/teen/whatever.

Do you think this was really Ricky spanking Lucy like a child or was it basically flirting? And why are parents so afraid to spank their naughty kids for fear of "abusing" them?

I'm sure as children we ALL got put in the corner for time out, grounded, or worse, spanked on the fanny. I got my share of spankings as a child but from what I remember it wasn't that often. And I turned out fine. Why do today's parents think swatting their widdle bottoms is abuse if nothing else works for punishment? It's not like you're beating the kid until he starts bleeding or turning black and blue. My aunt used to put hot sauce on my little cousin's tongue if he was bad and boy was he a handful when he was like, 4 and 5. My grandpa also gave you your ass on a silver platter if you were bad. My aunts and uncle have told me this several times, and my aunt has a wooden paddle that her grandparents used on them. Luckily Grandpa never had to spank me, I don't think, but maybe he did once or twice and I don't remember. I knew from a young age that I had to respect him and be good around him. It's not like I was afraid of the man, he was one of the nicest men you'd ever want to meet, but he knew a thing or 2 about discipline and respect. My GRANDMA on the other hand . . . I don't ever remember her spanking any of my cousins. I'm sure she did when my grandpa used to work 3 jobs and had to look after 6 kids.

The SPANKING Lucy was merely a comedic device as Lucy was behaving like a child so he would spank her, he even says that in one show i believe the one about matchmaking.  I was never spanked as a child and my parents merely had to LOOK at me to scare me into behaving.  Now if i had a child who misbehaved, i wouldn't think twice about spanking them, to show them discipline, i think my own grandma would tell her children, never hit them on the head but on the fanny instead.  As for spanking my wife or husband, no, i would never do that and i can understand how it upsets some people to see that on tv in a comedy show.

This topic comes up from time to time and some die hard people are turned off from the show because of it.  In face it only ever happened twice and the one time as mentioned it was because she was acting like a child as Ricky says I'm going to treat you like one.  Lucy does give indication to Miss Ritter that she did get spanked when she was trying to get her fixed up as she does rub her backside in the scene it Miss Ritter's apt.

There is indication that Little Ricky did get a swat on the butt too.  When he is asked about hiding the chickens he asks if he will get a spanking and they say not if he tells the truth.

This topic comes up from time to time and some die hard people are turned off from the show because of it.  In face it only ever happened twice and the one time as mentioned it was because she was acting like a child as Ricky says I'm going to treat you like one.  Lucy does give indication to Miss Ritter that she did get spanked when she was trying to get her fixed up as she does rub her backside in the scene it Miss Ritter's apt.

There is indication that Little Ricky did get a swat on the butt too.  When he is asked about hiding the chickens he asks if he will get a spanking and they say not if he tells the truth.

Oh yeah, forgot about that.  Just saw it recently too.  I think people are more turned off by the lady being so subserviant to her husband, which was also the norm back in the fifties.  And the smoking of course riles many of us.

I never took the spanking seriously; it was always broad and designed to elicit obvious laughs. 

And even if I felt it was an authentic character beat, I wouldn't attempt to apply 21st century notions of politically correct behavior to a product made and released in the 20th century. Certainly it would be inappropriate on a sitcom today. But I LOVE LUCY, though still hilarious, is a period piece; that is, just like any work of art, part of its aesthetic charm comes from our knowledge of the time in which it was created. The show's comedy holds up because it's rooted in still relatable characters, but the individual references and story beats are naturally reflective of its era. (And delightfully so!) Furthermore, we do the show a disservice to expect it to conform and adhere to social conceits that had yet to be formed. 

Also, I personally never felt the show advocated physical abuse (or even female subservience, although some may argue). These were just jokes and attitudes to which '50s audiences could relate.

Again, I never took the spanking seriously. 

• Like 1

I never took the spanking seriously; it was always broad and designed to elicit obvious laughs. 

And even if I felt it was an authentic character beat, I wouldn't attempt to apply 21st century notions of politically correct behavior to a product made and released in the 20th century. Certainly it would be inappropriate on a sitcom today. But I LOVE LUCY, though still hilarious, is a period piece; that is, just like any work of art, part of its aesthetic charm comes from our knowledge of the time in which it was created. The show's comedy holds up because it's rooted in still relatable characters, but the individual references and story beats are naturally reflective of its era. (And delightfully so!) Furthermore, we do the show a disservice to expect it to conform and adhere to social conceits that had yet to be formed. 

Also, I personally never felt the show advocated physical abuse (or even female subservience, although some may argue). These were just jokes and attitudes to which '50s audiences could relate.

And besides, didn't SHE threaten HIM with physical violence sometimes also?

So very, very well said.   I don't think we can realistically apply our 21st century sensibilities, etc. to such a product of its time, over 60 years ago: it was a different time with different attitudes, mores. 

Besides...do we really think for one moment he'd really bring her physical harm? I don't think a little swat on the behind qualifies, now or then.  But maybe it's just me.  :peachonthebeach:

So very, very well said.   I don't think we can realistically apply our 21st century sensibilities, etc. to such a product of its time, over 60 years ago: it was a different time with different attitudes, mores. 

Besides...do we really think for one moment he'd really bring her physical harm? I don't think a little swat on the behind qualifies, now or then.  But maybe it's just me.  :peachonthebeach:

Oh i think SHE  would have given him much harm when she was jealous of that girl singer and when he went out all night with those Hollywood starlets to state just two instances, LOL!