Bob Hope's All-Star Comedy Tribute to Vaudeville

Brock

Featuring Miss Ball, Miss Barra, Sid Gould, Bernie Petes, Jimmy Walker, Jack Albertson and ... The Captain & Tennille. (Because when I think "Vaudeville", I automatically think of the Captain & Tennille.)

Lucy appears around the 33 minute mark. Watch if you're a completest. lol She thankfully appears again at 57.15. And again around 1.13.00 with Claude's favourite.

"There's been a lot of talk about Roots lately..." *cut to shot of Al Jolson doing Mammy* :blink:

Featuring Miss Ball, Miss Barra, Sid Gould, Bernie Petes, Jimmy Walker, Jack Albertson and ... The Captain & Tennille. (Because when I think "Vaudeville", I automatically think of the Captain & Tennille.)

Lucy appears around the 33 minute mark. Watch if you're a completest. lol She thankfully appears again at 57.15. And again around 1.13.00 with Claude's favourite.

"There's been a lot of talk about Roots lately..." *cut to shot of Al Jolson doing Mammy* :blink:

Well....who doesn't??? :obrien:

THERE'S NOTHING LIKE GOOD QUALITY WRITING AND THAT SURE WAS NOTHING LIKE THAT.

I read a thing that said Kathy Griffin has the world record for most comedy specials, but wouldn't that be Bob? It seems like he had a few specials a year between the 60s and 80s. My guess is that they don't count as comedy.

HER specials were for stand up comedy, his were for supposed comedy where he did stand up only for a few minutes at the beginning.

Lucy's Sophie Tucker gave her some (increasingly rare) latter-day positive press.  Both Time and Newsweek featured her in their Entertainment Newsmaker sections with a picture and nearly identical copy that went something like "Lucy still sports the trim figure she had as a 1933 Goldwyn Girl but donned a fat suit as Sophie"  The "news" part was that the fat suit buckled when she took her bow and she "almost" fell into the orchestra pit.  When this was aired, Sophie had been dead only 10 years and she had performed late in life on Ed Sullivan a few times, so she was within people's memories.  By the 60s, she no longer sang but rather would "talk-sing" her songs.  Lucy does a pretty good Sophie complete with the trademark head-bobbing.

I don't remember Captain and Tenille except for their big hit "Love Will Keep Us...." and never saw their show, which lasted longer than I thought (through March)but I just assume it was bad.  I guess ABC thought they could build them into another Sonney and Cher; and figured Toni had the same sort of southern charm sweetness as Dinah Shore.  But Dinah kept it to "Top Hat' and "Roberta" while Toni threw in all of Ginger's movies including "The First Traveling Saleslady" and  "Harlow"!

I don't know that there was a successful variety show past "Carol Burnett" and "Sonney and Cher" (except SNL)

Lucy's Sophie Tucker gave her some (increasingly rare) latter-day positive press.  Both Time and Newsweek featured her in their Entertainment Newsmaker sections with a picture and nearly identical copy that went something like "Lucy still sports the trim figure she had as a 1933 Goldwyn Girl but donned a fat suit as Sophie"  The "news" part was that the fat suit buckled when she took her bow and she "almost" fell into the orchestra pit.  When this was aired, Sophie had been dead only 10 years and she had performed late in life on Ed Sullivan a few times, so she was within people's memories.  By the 60s, she no longer sang but rather would "talk-sing" her songs.  Lucy does a pretty good Sophie complete with the trademark head-bobbing.

I don't remember Captain and Tenille except for their big hit "Love Will Keep Us...." and never saw their show, which lasted longer than I thought (through March)but I just assume it was bad.  I guess ABC thought they could build them into another Sonney and Cher; and figured Toni had the same sort of southern charm sweetness as Dinah Shore.  But Dinah kept it to "Top Hat' and "Roberta" while Toni threw in all of Ginger's movies including "The First Traveling Saleslady" and  "Harlow"!

I don't know that there was a successful variety show past "Carol Burnett" and "Sonney and Cher" (except SNL)

Puhleeeeeeeeeeeeeeze, tv was loaded with great variety shows back then, Glen Campbell, Dean Martin, Jackie Gleason and so many others.  Back to Lucy as Sophie, you'd think that someone reknowned for her low low voice at that point of her life would have sounded closer to Sophie's down low voice, but no, Lucy sounded fine, not that low at all.

Archived