The Almighty Peso

As much as they were making but the late 40s and that being a comfortable living they were still being frugal.  Lucy mentions about how they waited til after 6pm to call each other as that is when the long distance rates went down.   We need to get the estimated figure she said they spent on long distance over the years and adjust that one.

Salad dressing-$0.40. Today =$3.49 Caroline’s cut-$0.03. Today=$0.26

Pearls and camera in Japan-$100. Today=$872

Money paid to all the bald men-$10. Today=$87

CT house deposit-$500. Today=$4360

Cost of the coat in The Fur Coat- $3500. Today=$30,523

Money made for babysitting the twins-$5 an hour. Today=$43

Extra cost per month to move to the Benson’s apt-$20. Today=$174

Priced charged the Mertz’s to buy the Ricardo’s old washer-$35. Today=$305 The buyer would pay $75. Today=$654.

Money made off CanAllPet stock- $1000. Today=$ 8721 Bill to the market $473. Today=$4125

Money found in carious places in Ricky’s European Booking. Couch-$9.73. Sugar Bowl-$29.95. Little Ricky’s Piggy Bank-$28.16. GTHp-$15.36. Today respectively-$ 84, $261, $245, $133.

How much money the band actually made in Europe once arriving in Monte carol- $300. Today $2616.

What Ernie sold his guitar for-$27. Today-$235. That left him with $0.27. Today=$2.35.

$4363... EACH!!

which Lucy and "Mrs. Hertz"  had to give to that snooty Cynthia

The same $500, the only numbers Don Loper knows, a year later in Hollywood: $4379.

No wonder Ricky blew his top!  "$4379 for ONE dress.  Mira que cosa de mujere loco!!"

In the 'women from Mars episode' Lucy and Ethel each got $500 - what would that be in today's money? 

Hey, Claudie, I mentioned something.... :fabrary:  ^_^  ;)  :HALKING:  :D

$4363... EACH!!

which Lucy and "Mrs. Hertz"  had to give to that snooty Cynthia

The same $500, the only numbers Don Loper knows, a year later in Hollywood: $4379.

No wonder Ricky blew his top!  "$4379 for ONE dress.  Mira que cosa de mujere loco!!"

WOW!  Thanks, Neil!  What percentages or dollars,, exactly, do you base your number quotient ?

(is that the right term?  if not, I don't care - sounds intelligent or stupid, your pick!)  I'm always 1/2 and 1/2 intelligence wise, no different that most, probably....tee hee  Loving you, JK

Tally for the Beardsleys one grocery store trip (less two 6-packs of beer!)   $889.61  ($126.63 originally).

I saw YMO the day it opened in Portland in May of 1968.  Portland is/was 45 miles away from my town, no small trek with just a 2-lane highway.   It took all the wheedling, cajoling, jollying and nagging of my mother I could muster up ( "If all else fails, he will undoubtedly start to cry") to get her to take me.  It opened in one of the downtown theaters (more pretigious) but for some reason was on a double-bill with co-"hit" "Finders Keepers", the also-ran singing group The Lovin' Spoonfull's answer to the Beatles "Help".  I don't know why my mother didn't find out what time YMO started but when we entered the scene with Lucy and the nun/teacher was playing, so we had to sit through "Finders Keepers" (wretched!)  to see YMO from the beginning.  I played dumb when the Lucy/nun scene came up again, hoping we could sit through the whole thing a 2nd time, but eventually my mother caught on and forced me to leave.  (....better not to press my luck in case "Diamond Jim" would come out the next year), though my walk out of the theater was backwards and VERY slow.  

Being just a tot, I had no idea what groceries were supposed to cost but I remember when the clerk hit the tally button and $126.63 came up, there was a very loud "oh my goodness!" type audience response. 

The audience loved YMO. Several lines drowned out by laughter.  They HOWLED through Lucy's drunk scene.

In answer to this from leenor:  ----What percentages or dollars,, exactly, do you base your number quotient ?---

$500 in 1954 is $4363 today; $500 in 1955 is $4379.  I don't do the math myself.  I turn to "Inflation Calculator", so my figures are only as good as the accuracy of that site.  Have not compared this to other inflation sites, but assume they're all using the same government issued inflation figures.

Tally for the Beardsleys one grocery store trip (less two 6-packs of beer!)   $889.61  ($126.63 originally).

I saw YMO the day it opened in Portland in May of 1968.  Portland is/was 45 miles away from my town, no small trek with just a 2-lane highway.   It took all the wheedling, cajoling, jollying and nagging of my mother I could muster up ( "If all else fails, he will undoubtedly start to cry") to get her to take me.  It opened in one of the downtown theaters (more pretigious) but for some reason was on a double-bill with co-"hit" "Finders Keepers", the also-ran singing group The Lovin' Spoonfull's answer to the Beatles "Help".  I don't know why my mother didn't find out what time YMO started but when we entered the scene with Lucy and the nun/teacher was playing, so we had to sit through "Finders Keepers" (wretched!)  to see YMO from the beginning.  I played dumb when the Lucy/nun scene came up again, hoping we could sit through the whole thing a 2nd time, but eventually my mother caught on and forced me to leave.  (....better not to press my luck in case "Diamond Jim" would come out the next year), though my walk out of the theater was backwards and VERY slow.  

Being just a tot, I had no idea what groceries were supposed to cost but I remember when the clerk hit the tally button and $126.63 came up, there was a very loud "oh my goodness!" type audience response. 

The audience loved YMO. Several lines drowned out by laughter.  They HOWLED through Lucy's drunk scene.

In answer to this from leenor:  ----What percentages or dollars,, exactly, do you base your number quotient ?---

$500 in 1954 is $4363 today; $500 in 1955 is $4379.  I don't do the math myself.  I turn to "Inflation Calculator", so my figures are only as good as the accuracy of that site.  Have not compared this to other inflation sites, but assume they're all using the same government issued inflation figures.

Love that story Neil, i was 18 so i didn't need any of those shenanigans to go see it, saw it at least 18 times and one Saturday from 10am to Midnight, hated the courtroom scene, the only part of the movie that dragged.  It was so nice to hear hundreds of people laughing hysterically at my Lucy.  Sorry, OUR Lucy.

Thanks, Neil, for taking the time to do that for me; I appreciate it.  Loving you, JK

Cost of Lucy's monthly rent at NYC apt during Wildcat, $1300. Today=$10,250.

Yeah, i know, when i saw the price in a Lucy book i wondered to myself, geez, must be a fortune now for the same apartment.  We know what they charge nowadays in New York City for what they call an apartment and we'd call a closet.

Amount the $10 Lucy offers George Spelvin (Phil Ober) to play Dore Sharey is today: $87.50,

though she talks him down to $7.50 or $65.70

By contrast, she only offers "Agnes Schmidlap" $37.80 ($5) to impersonate Ethel Merman.

"That's $7.50 a minute. I'll bet Merman herself doesn't make that much."

Amount the $10 Lucy offers George Spelvin (Phil Ober) to play Dore Sharey is today: $87.50,

though she talks him down to $7.50 or $65.70

By contrast, she only offers "Agnes Schmidlap" $37.80 ($5) to impersonate Ethel Merman.

"That's $7.50 a minute. I'll bet Merman herself doesn't make that much."

That's very good Peter er Neil.  Always enjoy you giving us the reality on the prices.  Jeeze 87.50 to impersonate Dore Sharey.. What kind of allowance is Ricky giving Lucy?

Archived