Character actress Ellen Albertini Dow dies at 101

Brock

:( What a great career, and what a great late-career resurgence. So many memorable roles in her 80s and 90s, and working almost right up to the end.

Ellen Albertini Dow, who rapped her way into our hearts in the 1998 movie The Wedding Singer, has died. She was 101.

Los Angeles' Pierce College Theater department announced the Monday death on Facebook. Eugene Dow, Ellen's husband, founded the theater department there. Dow's agent Juliet Green confirmed the death to Deadline.

Albertini graduated from Cornell University with a B.A. and M.A. in theater, according to IMDB.com. She moved to New York and studied and worked with legendary coaches including Martha Graham, Michael Shurtleff, Uta Hagen and Marcel Marceau.

She appeared in films including Sister Act and Patch Adams, and on many classic TV series including Murphy Brown, The Golden Girls, The Wonder Years, ER, Will & Grace and Seinfeld.

MORE: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2015/05/05/wedding-singer-ellen-albertini-dow-rapping-granny-dies-at-101/26912889/?AID=10709313&PID=3747368&SID=i9bfgippkb0004m600dth

• 1 month later...

She never did anything with Lucy though, did she? I know she worked with Mary Wickes in Sister Act though. They're doing a remake, but it just won't be the same without those two. I also loved her as the "cold noodle" lady in Patch Adams. Funny, but a week before she died I was watching Sister Act and telling mom how shocked I was that she was still alive.