Shirley MacLaine

Tonight, I had the opportunity to talk with Shirley MacLaine about working with Lucy on Gypsy In my Soul. So, naturally, I took it. Here's what she had to say:

"Phew! What can I say [about working with Lucille Ball]? Talk about a woman with balls! She loved her legs and she said, ‘I want to come on your show and I want to do something in a leotard!’ I thought, ‘That’s good,’ because I like my legs too. I thought it was so wonderfully honest of her to put it in her contract like that. She was a stickler for being liked. Once you made an arrangement with her it didn’t shift. Always told you the truth and was married to Gary Morton at the time. The day we shot that number, I had to have my hair dyed. I don’t know what colour my hair is. It has been so long since I have seen the real colour. I went to this hairdresser and they were waiting for me at the studio, because it was live, and it started to snow. I walked across midtown Manhattan without a cab because I couldn’t get a cab. I walked from the hairdresser’s right to that stage and I will never forget that day. It was freezing. The song was going and I was still on the street!"

• Like 2

I don't quite get the story.  "Gypsy" certainly wasn't a live program. 

I wasn't about to argue with her.

And  I didn't know she spoke with a Canadian accent! ("colour")

Their mother was Canadian and they spent a lot of their time growing up on Nova Scotia, she said. So, in the words of Mrs. McGilicuddy, "Nyeh! :P "

So I take it no discussion about her daughter's book or any future lives? ;)

Lots of talk about past lives, but she didn't whip out the crystal ball. She told the woman standing in front of me that she was the perfect representation of the yin and yang and said woman proceeded to demonstrate she had the yin and yang tattooed on her person. Speaking of Sachi, Shirley narrated a video presentation of her life and career highlights and there was lots of Sachi content in there... and yes, this montage was created post-book trashing. lol

• Like 2

I didn't know she wrote another one. I thought you were just talking about Wishful Drinking. But writing one while Shirley's still alive, now that's pretty bad. It's like something the Fontiane-deHavillands would do.