Nanette Fabray Too Funny for Lucy?

LittleRickyII

Certainly a pleasant spirited performer but I can't say I've seen her in much beyond "HA&G" and game shows.  I wasn't particularly impressed with her performance on the special, but maybe she shone better in the "out of focus" take.   She must have had something to win 2 Best Comedienne Emmys in a row in the 50s (winning out over Lucy) for her work on "Caesar's Hour".   The 2nd win was for the calendar year 1956 for her work on the 55-56 season.  She did not return in the fall of 1956 and won this Emmy at the awards presentation in 1957.   Though Nan won in the category in 1955, Lucy won in a separate Best Actress in a Comedy Series.   If I had to pick one calendar year of Lucy's best work, it would be 1955.

Certainly a pleasant spirited performer but I can't say I've seen her in much beyond "HA&G" and game shows.  I wasn't particularly impressed with her performance on the special, but maybe she shone better in the "out of focus" take.   She must have had something to win 2 Best Comedienne Emmys in a row in the 50s (winning out over Lucy) for her work on "Caesar's Hour".   The 2nd win was for the calendar year 1956 for her work on the 55-56 season.  She did not return in the fall of 1956 and won this Emmy at the awards presentation in 1957.   Though Nan won in the category in 1955, Lucy won in a separate Best Actress in a Comedy Series.   If I had to pick one calendar year of Lucy's best work, it would be 1955.

I haven't seen that much of Fabray's work, either.  I have seen some of her One Day at a Time appearances, and her two guest shots on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, and, of course the Lucy special.  And I've watched a few clips of her with Sid Caesar.  And honestly, I don't think any of it has ever made me laugh.  She's one of those performers that leaves me wondering, what is it I don't get?  I certainly don't get what makes her Emmy worthy.  But of course Nanette thought she deserved another Emmy that she wasn't even nominated for!

I guess for the sake of keeping this dialogue together, I should post the link to the other thread regarding this video.  I posted this before realizing Freddie2 had already posted the same thing here: http://www.lucylounge.com/index.php?/topic/3564-nanette-fabray-and-the-faux-focus-lens/