Hey Look Me Over-----Duet

Neil

I got 2 DVDs of Bob Hope's birthday celebrations in 1978 and 1983 (his 75th and 80th).  

It's amazing that Hope by this time was considered a national treasure, so much so that his milestone birthdays are celebrated in DC at the Kennedy Center and attended by the then current presidents-- and he's barely remembered today by anyone under 40 (present company excepted).  Case in point: I was at the Bob Hope airport and heard a flight attendant ask who Bob Hope was.

Lucy appeared on both and sang the same special lyrics to "Hey Look Me (Him) Over".  On the 1983, it looks like her own hair and not a wig.  Very rare to see her wigless for a tv appearance. 

I love the look she gives to the conductor at :06 in 1983.  Can't quite hear what she says but something like "that's my cue".

This being May, Lucy is 66 and 71 respectively.  As Billy Hacket said in 1983 "Lucille Desiree, you never sang prettier!"

Here they are side by side:

I love that in the 70s (especially after the stinging criticism of her Mame singing), Lucy seemed less self-conscious about her singing voice.  When it was required, she just reared back and let 'er rip, with results that were almost always endearing.   I always have to throw out the disclaimer that nobody, me included, is professing that Lucy is a great singer, but she actually sounds pretty good here. And I don't know why, but I actually enjoy her singing voice, from "Poor Everybody Else" on, hitting her peak vocally in the mid-60s.  Then there was that uncomfortable period where she would hire ghost vocalists, rarely fooling anyone (least of all: Tom Troupe).  This practice seemed to be limited to the first three years of Here's Lucy, 68-71 which included some variety shows, reaching its nadir/peak of absurdity when Carole Cook did her Jack Benny special "Big Spender" vocals, ruining what could have been a wonderful showcase for her....with vocals that she could have easily handled herself.  True there were some high notes but in this song they could have been yelled/sung as in  'Hey BIG spender!"

I love that in the 70s (especially after the stinging criticism of her Mame singing), Lucy seemed less self-conscious about her singing voice. When it was required, she just reared back and let 'er rip, with results that were almost always endearing. I always have to throw out the disclaimer that nobody, me included, is professing that Lucy is a great singer, but she actually sounds pretty good here. And I don't know why, but I actually enjoy her singing voice, from "Poor Everybody Else" on, hitting her peak vocally in the mid-60s. Then there was that uncomfortable period where she would hire ghost vocalists, rarely fooling anyone (least of all: Tom Troupe). This practice seemed to be limited to the first three years of Here's Lucy, 68-71 which included some variety shows, reaching its nadir/peak of absurdity when Carole Cook did her Jack Benny special "Big Spender" vocals, ruining what could have been a wonderful showcase for her....with vocals that she could have easily handled herself. True there were some high notes but in this song they could have been yelled/sung as in 'Hey BIG spender!"

I remember Fidelman wrote that "neither Lucille nor Lucie were trusted to perform musically at this point," regarding the dubbing for early Here's Lucy episodes. That comment implies it wasn't Lucy's choice but rather a higher-up. Was that the case?

• Like 1

I remember Fidelman wrote that "neither Lucille nor Lucie were trusted to perform musically at this point," regarding the dubbing for early Here's Lucy episodes. That comment implies it wasn't Lucy's choice but rather a higher-up. Was that the case?

Doubt it! After all, Lucille WAS the "higher-up" by that point, annoited with the rarely (if ever) seen elsewhere title "Executive in Charge of Production", an oh so Hollywood acronym for IATB*!!! :blink:

*I Am The Boss!!!

Fidelman's quotes have the ring of likelihood, but.......

I have to wonder where the quotes from his book came from, particularly Lucy's.  It may have been that someone else told him "Lucy said...." which in today's literary circles may pass for an actual quote.    I'm a fan of his Lucy Show Book.   Some people don't like his opinions.  I don't always agree with them but appreciate his efforts. 

I don't get this particular quote "neither Lucille NOR LUCIE...".   Then WHY have so many musical episodes those first 3 years?  Lazy writing I suppose.  It's much easier to write "end with production number" than to come up with something clever.