Lucy and the Ceramic Cat

When I first saw the scene of Lucy in the window with the mechanical man, I almost peed my pants laughing. How just slightly bumping the rotating table made the robot pick up the cat instead of the teapot. Then Lucy's wide eyed face when she pretends to be the man sitting in the chair after knocking the head off--and of course the robot picking the head up like it's no big deal. Wasn't crazy about Lucy walking like a robot though, especially at the end. Seemed a bit silly. 

Wish they had that kind of stuff for sale today. And wow, how hard did Larry Dean have to practice to make it look so real? Bet he took lots of advice from ol Miss Ball. The makeup is amazing, and his movements are as well. 

If I was that security guard I would find it very hard to believe that Lucy was a robot. And also the fact that the robot is picking up a cat and a severed head instead of a teapot--not to mention the head on the mannequin is MISSING. 

When I first saw the scene of Lucy in the window with the mechanical man, I almost peed my pants laughing. How just slightly bumping the rotating table made the robot pick up the cat instead of the teapot. Then Lucy's wide eyed face when she pretends to be the man sitting in the chair after knocking the head off--and of course the robot picking the head up like it's no big deal. Wasn't crazy about Lucy walking like a robot though, especially at the end. Seemed a bit silly.

Wish they had that kind of stuff for sale today. And wow, how hard did Larry Dean have to practice to make it look so real? Bet he took lots of advice from ol Miss Ball. The makeup is amazing, and his movements are as well.

If I was that security guard I would find it very hard to believe that Lucy was a robot. And also the fact that the robot is picking up a cat and a severed head instead of a teapot--not to mention the head on the mannequin is MISSING.

I've honestly never understood the appeal of this episode. It was the first episode of season 3 I ever saw, courtesy of Columbia House. I always found the whole Mechanical Man scene clever but predictable. It's fun enough but it's never made me laugh.

I've got two copies of the CH tape this episode was included on. For both tapes, the tint and saturation is completely off, rendering the black and white footage purple in the intro. Not only that, it turned the living room carpet from green to orange! Until the DVDs came out, I thought for the longest time that Lucy and Viv re-carpeted the house orange at some point during the season.

• Like 2