Lucy Buys a Sheep

What does everyone think of this episode?

I don't watch it that often but I love how we clearly see Clementine's face and she is NOT bleating--her mouth is closed. Why couldn't they find a sound effect of a sheep bleating? It sounds like a human. lol. 

I LOL'ed at when Lucy leaves to go downstairs when Clementine is being noisy and she says "baaaaahhh I'll be right baaaaaaaaaaack." She did that so perfect. 

So, whatever happened to Clementine after this episode? Also, didn't Harry have a lawnmower that they could borrow? Unless they hadn't created his character yet as it was the 2nd episode shot. 

What does everyone think of this episode?

I don't watch it that often but I love how we clearly see Clementine's face and she is NOT bleating--her mouth is closed. Why couldn't they find a sound effect of a sheep bleating? It sounds like a human. lol. 

I LOL'ed at when Lucy leaves to go downstairs when Clementine is being noisy and she says "baaaaahhh I'll be right baaaaaaaaaaack." She did that so perfect. 

So, whatever happened to Clementine after this episode? Also, didn't Harry have a lawnmower that they could borrow? Unless they hadn't created his character yet as it was the 2nd episode shot.

Harry was mentioned by Viv in the first episode, commenting that he's Tiger's owner. You'd think he would have a lawnmower, yes, although maybe he's away on flights often enough that he had hired gardeners tend to his lawn. I kind of like this episode but the premise is very contrived. It's obvious they just wanted an excuse for Lucy to do animal schtick. For me, it's one of the duller entries, although the sheep were adorable.

Had the "Here's Lucy" team conceived this episode, no doubt Lucy would've bought a troupe of grass-eating chimps. Then Craig would've taught them to play the drums and sell them to Wayne Newton for his next tour. Lucy would then appeal to new neighbor Jack Benny (meeting him for the first time, again) to rent his lawnmower for 5¢ per blade rotation, only to encounter a gorilla (Prohaska) who steals the lawnmower and chases her around LAX during the climactic ending.

• Like 1

Harry was mentioned by Viv in the first episode, commenting that he's Tiger's owner. You'd think he would have a lawnmower, yes, although maybe he's away on flights often enough that he had hired gardeners tend to his lawn. I kind of like this episode but the premise is very contrived. It's obvious they just wanted an excuse for Lucy to do animal schtick. For me, it's one of the duller entries, although the sheep were adorable.

Had the "Here's Lucy" team conceived this episode, no doubt Lucy would've bought a troupe of grass-eating chimps. Then Craig would've taught them to play the drums and sell them to Wayne Newton for his next tour. Lucy would then appeal to new neighbor Jack Benny (meeting him for the first time, again) to rent his lawnmower for 5¢ per blade rotation, only to encounter a gorilla (Prohaska) who steals the lawnmower and chases her around LAX during the climactic ending.

This has so much plot it would have to be a special 75-minute long Here's Lucy.  Except for the gorilla, this would rate an above average HL and I'd watch it...and the summer rerun   But then again, I watched them ALL first run.  Limited use of chimps, I'm OK with. Gorillas: no. Because it's so obviously "our own Jonah Prohaska". 

"Lucy Buys a Sheep" would probably not make anyone's list of top 10 Lucy Shows but it's a nice solid show.  What set the first two seasons apart from the rest of the series and the bulk of HLs is that the premises were at least somewhat grounded in logic.   I watched "Lucy and Viv Learn Judo" which starts out with Viv reading about some burglaries in the neighborhood and the girls talking about beefing up security.   Imagine if this script had gone the way of HL's "Burglar Alarm" in which Craig, unbeknownst to Lucy, saws a hole in the floor (and carpet!)--wouldn't Lucy have heard the noise?--and suspends a net from the ceiling which no one notices until it falls and traps Lucy with Elliot Reid---plus various other simple-minded illogical sight gags---with the emphasis on GAG. 

• Like 2

This has so much plot it would have to be a special 75-minute long Here's Lucy.  Except for the gorilla, this would rate an above average HL and I'd watch it...and the summer rerun   But then again, I watched them ALL first run.  Limited use of chimps, I'm OK with. Gorillas: no. Because it's so obviously "our own Jonah Prohaska". 

"Lucy Buys a Sheep" would probably not make anyone's list of top 10 Lucy Shows but it's a nice solid show.  What set the first two seasons apart from the rest of the series and the bulk of HLs is that the premises were at least somewhat grounded in logic.   I watched "Lucy and Viv Learn Judo" which starts out with Viv reading about some burglaries in the neighborhood and the girls talking about beefing up security.   Imagine if this script had gone the way of HL's "Burglar Alarm" in which Craig, unbeknownst to Lucy, saws a hole in the floor (and carpet!)--wouldn't Lucy have heard the noise?--and suspends a net from the ceiling which no one notices until it falls and traps Lucy with Elliot Reid---plus various other simple-minded illogical sight gags---with the emphasis on GAG. 

See that for me is what makes the first (two) season(s) in particular superior to the rest of the run in that - "Lucy logic" or no - there was more often than not a viable premise set-up for the shenanigans that followed; once B&M (and ultimately B& B) departed nearly all logic went out the window, at least in comparison.  As I referred to in a previous post, it's kind of a shame and of much interest to me how different the scripts if not tone would be had Lucy hired at least one more female writer, scarce though they might have been in Hollywood at the time, there were some.  Also makes me wonder if they'd heard what she was like to work for  and simply weren't interested? Guess we'll never know "fer shure" but I'd sure like to!

Also...I wonder too sometimes if some folks (not counting "diehards" like us!) think her hi-jinks make little sense or have no basis in reality because all they've seen are the heavily butchered syndicated versions which often times cut out expository scenes such as the one Neil mentions in regards to the impetus for Lucy & Viv to take up judo.... if I can be objective for a moment, I'd think along those lines myself if it seemed so arbitrary and out of the blue that these two single ladies suddenly decided after all those years of living together to take up something that back then probably seemed a bit "out there" or extreme.

Just my ever-curious mind! :vanda: