Lucy's Psychiatrist

Caewi

I've heard some chatter about a psychiatrist that Lucy supposedly agreed to see, Dr. John T Chirban. Seeing a psychiatrist soooooo doesn't sound like Lucy! Although there some to be some interesting quotes out of the interview such as: 

"Lucy was very emotional about Desi. She was truly in love with him." -Dr. Jonathon Chirban, talking about a 1980 interview with Lucy.

Does anyone know anything about this psychiatrist or what was happening? I recall Lucie Arnaz saying that she urged her mother to see someone at some point and it went down very badly so this just doesn't seem like Lucy. 

Thanks all

• Like 1

This guy was a psychiatrist but Lucy was not seeing him. He was working on a book and did a series of interviews with Lucy. The book came out in the early 80s. Jimmy linked to it here a few months back but the link is not working anymore. Portions of the interview that were published in his book made a 2 part Closer magazine article earlier this year and that’s how this claim that Lucy saw a psychiatrist came up. Basically the chapter that has her interview is him talking about interview techniques and uses this interview as an example. She’s very candid and open to him, but it’s a regular interview where he did get Lucy to talk personal but he was not there to analyze her.

This guy was a psychiatrist but Lucy was not seeing him. He was working on a book and did a series of interviews with Lucy. The book came out in the early 80s. Jimmy linked to it here a few months back but the link is not working anymore. Portions of the interview that were published in his book made a 2 part Closer magazine article earlier this year and that’s how this claim that Lucy saw a psychiatrist came up. Basically the chapter that has her interview is him talking about interview techniques and uses this interview as an example. She’s very candid and open to him, but it’s a regular interview where he did get Lucy to talk personal but he was not there to analyze her.

Thanks for clarification to the question, luvs; we don't need anymore 'junk' created about something along those lines. 

Didn't NVPeale counsel her the way she welcomed and needed it?  They were friends for years; seems like I read that the couple who found Desi's wedding ring; returned it to her backstage also helped her to 'decide' about things on her own.  Obviously, it was her decision; not some shrink!

Lucy became friends with Norman around the mid 50s. Years ago I had a book by him where he talked about Lucy for 2 or 3 pages. If I ever get it unburied from my basement I’ll transcribe it. In the late 50s she and Desi met with one of his colleagues in NYC to do some marriage counseling. Lucy kept seeing him but from Lucy’s account Desi gave up after the second visit. I’ve also read a story from Sheila Macrea about Norman visiting in Palm Springs and them all praying together.

Lucy started attending his church while she was in NYC during Wildcat and had him marry her and Gary. In one of Lucie’s auctions a few years back there is a letter Norman sent to Desi talking about his feeling on having the kids at the wedding. Lucy wanted them, Desi did not and the letter tries to convey his and Lucy’s feeling on why this was a good thing. The last paragraph of the letter bugs me. He basically calls Desi out for participating in his religion but not living by what his religion teaches. Not to impart my views of religion in this but I think that was pretty crappy of him to write that in a letter on such a personal topic he was addressing that had nothing to do with his religion.

About the wedding ring. Jimmy helped out with the timeline of this a while back. By February it seemed that Lucy was moving on with Gary. The press reports about the returned ring were in May. So it was not her turning point with the ring, but more of a solidification that she was moving in the right direction.