Rolling Stone 100 Greatest TV Series of All Time

Neil

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/lists/100-greatest-tv-shows-of-all-time-w439520?page=9&count=10

I don't know if this is new but I've never seen it.   Yet another "greatest of all time" list that gets my goat!

#32!!   Blasphemy!  I've never seen it ranked so low.  And look where MTM is.   If Rolling Stone had done this in 1977, it certainly would have been in the top 10.  

As always these things are subjective....and overloaded with more recent stuff, series that in 10 years will probably be forgotten.  Shows how greatness is so fleeting.  

I certainly like what I've seen of Louis CK, but is he and his show GREAT great?  I haven't seen his show "Louie".    Just seen his stand-up and on SNL.   If the excerpt within the list in any indication.....well, I'm in the wrong era.

And speaking of Louis, when he is in an index, is he under C for CK or K as in "Lou-Period-C-Period".

In my quick scan of the list, did I miss "Carol Burnett" and "Andy Griffith"?  Any other stand-out omissions?

• Like 1

Why does The Wire keep making these lists? I thought I'd give it a shot but could not get past the first 15 mins.

I can see the appeal of a Sopranos or Breaking Bad, but neither held my interest enough to get through the first sesson.

Same with Seinfeld. Tried a few and not my cup of tea, but in its time in history I can see why it was big.

Louie I just don't get. I've seen a bit of his standup and he's enjoyable. But I tried season 1 and sesason 4 episodes of his series and it's just not funny.

I read Ken Levin's blog and he talks about how comedy shows are not funny any more. No one writes jokes. You might crack a smile and something but are you really laughing out loud?

I watch You're the Worst that hits well on deeper topics but is just hilarious at other times. Like pause the Tivo, laugh for 5 mins, back it up to watch again, laugh more.

• Like 2

Why does The Wire keep making these lists? I thought I'd give it a shot but could not get past the first 15 mins.

I can see the appeal of a Sopranos or Breaking Bad, but neither held my interest enough to get through the first sesson.

Same with Seinfeld. Tried a few and not my cup of tea, but in its time in history I can see why it was big.

Louie I just don't get. I've seen a bit of his standup and he's enjoyable. But I tried season 1 and sesason 4 episodes of his series and it's just not funny.

I read Ken Levin's blog and he talks about how comedy shows are not funny any more. No one writes jokes. You might crack a smile and something but are you really laughing out loud?

I watch You're the Worst that hits well on deeper topics but is just hilarious at other times. Like pause the Tivo, laugh for 5 mins, back it up to watch again, laugh more.

Wow, never heard of You're the Worst before, where can you find that one Shelly?? Thanks. :D

FXX. Also past seasons on Amazon Prime. They deal with some heavy issues too. Last night was a very interesting one on the one character's battle with PTSD from being an Iraq vet.

And bonus. The one actress on the show I read in an interview is a Lucy fan.

Thanks! And yes, that is always a plus IMHO. :lucythrill:

I love Louis.C.K's work, if you expect his shows to be fall down funny then look elsewhere but if you want great writing and acting, as well as some great supporting players then dive in, it's more about the story and the feelings of the characters. He did a new show recently called Horace & Pete, with Steve Buscemi, Edie Falco, Alan Alda & Jessica Lange, it is truly the most unique show I can remember, he takes so many risks and it pays off, he financed it himself and released it on his website here: Such a wonderful alternitive to what we are used to seeing, no focus-grouped watered down rubbish, just one mans vision executed with skill and class. Louis is fast becoming one of my heroes, and if I ever make something of myself I will certainly cite him as a major influence. He does what he wants to do, no compromises, no putting profits first, none of that, just ideas and emotions of real human beings, you have to admire him for that at least.

A show I absolutley recommend is "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" on Netflix, created by Tina Fey & Robert Carlock, it is a truly wonderful show, the jokes are so fast and layered, you could watch each episode 3 times and still find something new, Ellie Kemper is perfect as Kimmy, and Carol Kane, & Tituss Burgess are great too. has anybody here seen it?

I guess the multi-camera sitcom is dead now eh?, Kevin James new show just seems like all the others, I liked Cristela but that did not last despite being funnier than most, am I missing any that are currently airing?

I guess the multi-camera sitcom is dead now eh?, Kevin James new show just seems like all the others, I liked Cristela but that did not last despite being funnier than most, am I missing any that are currently airing?

Well...not quite, I wouldn't go that far, although the shift definitely seems to have gone to the one-camera shot like a film technique; just THANK GOD with those they don't add a crappy laugh track! Ironic I guess that I still love and prefer our "Lucy"-like technique in large part due to it's performed like a play, shot with a real audience hence "real" (although usually enhanced) laughs, coughs, whoops, etc... but still find each season one or two shows done in the newer style that are well worth the time, which would include for me The Good Place, along with returning shows blackish, Real O'Neals and SuperStore.

But there's still plenty of the "old guard" represented by James' show, along with long-running Big Bang Theory plus Dr. Ken, Last Man Standing, Man With a Plan, Great Indoors, Odd Couple, Mom and 2 Broke Girls, so.....there's still a bunch.

Plus, there's more shows on outlets like Netflix (The Ranch) and ABC Family/(now) Freeform (Baby Daddy, Young & Hungry) that feature live audience multi-cam shows. :D

I also just learned that Kathy Bates of "Misery" and "American Horror" fame is coming to Netflix with a new sitcom and it will be done with an audience too.

Even the recent current presidential campaign-oriented mini-reunion of "Will & Grace" was shot with a live audience -- thankfully, it certainly wouldn't have been as much fun without one -- and it was epic -- short (approximately 10 minutes), but epic!

I guess the upshot is the format is not quite "dead" yet! :blink:

• Like 1

As always these things are subjective....and overloaded with more recent stuff, series that in 10 years will probably be forgotten.  Shows how greatness is so fleeting.

That's what I was thinking before I even clicked on the link or read your comment.  I'm guessing a magazine like Rolling Stone, which tries to appeal to a younger, hipper target audience, hires staff who are mostly in that same demographic.  So the people coming up with these lists can only go by what they know.  Star Trek is one of the few old shows near the top of the list, but of course there are very recent and highly successful Star Trek movies that these writers are surely familiar with.  That said, at least they got it right with All in the Family -- an old show is not all that well-known by millennials but made their top ten (#9).  But Lucy at 32 and Mary Tyler Moore at 46???  That's messed up.  For any of these lists to have credibility, they need to be prepared by true and dedicated television historians.

I guess I have to take back what I wrote above.  I just read this from the article, explaining the basis for the shows on this list, and their rank:

"So we undertook a major poll – actors, writers, producers, critics, showrunners. Legends like Carl Reiner and Garry Marshall, who sent us his ballot shortly before his death this summer. All shows from all eras were eligible; anybody could vote for whatever they felt passionate about, from the black-and-white rabbit-ears years to the binge-watching peak-TV era. The ratings didn't matter – only quality. The voters have spoken – and, damn, did they have some fierce opinions."

FXX. Also past seasons on Amazon Prime. They deal with some heavy issues too. Last night was a very interesting one on the one character's battle with PTSD from being an Iraq vet.

And bonus. The one actress on the show I read in an interview is a Lucy fan.

Luvs:  Do you have the name of the actress?  Like to give her a shout-out in the chronology, with your and Lounge  credit courtesy, of course.  thanks if you can get that information.  I don't think I have access to that program..... Loving you, JK :fabrary: