Kathy Bates in Netflix's "Disjointed"

JoeySanJoaquin

Not sure why I find this fascinating, but while I'm not sure about the concept, I'm a little tickled I have to say to see the amazing Kathy Bates in a "Lucy"-production-style multi-cam sitcom with a live audience! :blink:

270disjointed6.jpg

A new workplace comedy for Netflix starring Kathy Bates as a lifelong advocate for legalization who's finally living her dream as the owner of an L.A. area cannabis dispensary. Joining her are three budtenders, her twenty-something son and a deeply troubled security guard. All of them are more or less constantly loaded. It doesn't go well.

Chuck Lorre, creator and executive producer of “The Big Bang Theory,” “Two And A Half Men,” “Mike & Molly” and “Mom” presents a new workplace comedy for Netflix starring Kathy Bates as a lifelong advocate for legalization who’s finally living her dream as the owner of an L.A.-area cannabis dispensary. Joining her are three budtenders, her twenty-something son and a deeply troubled security guard. All of them are more or less constantly loaded. It doesn’t go well.

Series co-stars include: Aaron Moten, Dougie Baldwin, Elizabeth Alderfer, Jessica Lu and Tone Bell.

tmp_Disjointed.jpg

http://tvtickets.com/fmi/shows/browserecord.php?&show=Disjointed

• 10 months later...

I've watched the first episode and a half, and YIKES. I'm telling you right now, no matter how curious you may be, STAY AWAY!!! Disjointed is everything wrong with television comedy today. It's the embodiment of the reason so many people are averse to audience laughter. The main criticism against a laugh track is that it feels pandering; like the producers are insulting your intelligence by telling you where the jokes are. I never understood that argument until I saw this show. It's a series of flat, dead gags about weed with absolutely no character behind anything. The motivations, ambitions, and defining traits of the ensemble are limited and paper-thin.

I think the biggest crime is just how much of a waste this show is. Kathy Bates is one of the greatest actresses of our time, but even her immense talents can't make anything out of the writing. The second episode has her doing a weird impression of Redd Foxx having a heart attack (a reference the studio audience doesn't seem to understand), and as she clutches her chest, you can see in her eyes that she knows how dumb this whole thing is. Her character is a bargain brand caricature of Frankie Bergstein- it makes me appreciate just how warm and genuinely funny the writing on Grace and Frankie is; I recently started season three, by the way, and the show is better than ever.

Roaming into genuine nitpick territory, Disjointed has that weird "realistic" art direction that I find so distracting. The sets are so cluttered that it took my attention away from the actual content. I was too busy trying to see all of the pictures in Kathy Bates' office or trying to read what was written all over the chalkboard on the back wall of the store. There's something bizarre about the lighting, too. The Ricardo's LA hotel room with its painted backdrop looked more realistic- no joke. 

I guess if there's one thing that could improve the show, it would be switching to single camera. There are a lot of gags that don't work whatsoever in front of an audience: on multiple occasions, a character speaks in a foreign language with subtitles at the bottom of the screen. Every episode has fake commercials (filmed without an audience) for different weed products. At one point we "hear" what one character is thinking in her head. If you're going to do so much with cutaways, voiceovers, and subtitles, why bother having an audience? So they can scream every time Kathy Bates says "fuck"?

This show has absolutely nothing going for it. Without a doubt it's one of the worst TV shows I've ever seen. Netflix already has a multi-cam gem on their hands with One Day at a Time. Watch that, for humanities' sake. Unless you really, really want to see Nicole Sullivan give a hand job to a steering wheel.

I've watched the first episode and a half, and YIKES. I'm telling you right now, no matter how curious you may be, STAY AWAY!!! Disjointed is everything wrong with television comedy today. It's the embodiment of the reason so many people are averse to audience laughter. The main criticism against a laugh track is that it feels pandering; like the producers are insulting your intelligence by telling you where the jokes are. I never understood that argument until I saw this show. It's a series of flat, dead gags about weed with absolutely no character behind anything. The motivations, ambitions, and defining traits of the ensemble are limited and paper-thin.

I think the biggest crime is just how much of a waste this show is. Kathy Bates is one of the greatest actresses of our time, but even her immense talents can't make anything out of the writing. The second episode has her doing a weird impression of Redd Foxx having a heart attack (a reference the studio audience doesn't seem to understand), and as she clutches her chest, you can see in her eyes that she knows how dumb this whole thing is. Her character is a bargain brand caricature of Frankie Bergstein- it makes me appreciate just how warm and genuinely funny the writing on Grace and Frankie is; I recently started season three, by the way, and the show is better than ever.

Roaming into genuine nitpick territory, Disjointed has that weird "realistic" art direction that I find so distracting. The sets are so cluttered that it took my attention away from the actual content. I was too busy trying to see all of the pictures in Kathy Bates' office or trying to read what was written all over the chalkboard on the back wall of the store. There's something bizarre about the lighting, too. The Ricardo's LA hotel room with its painted backdrop looked more realistic- no joke.

I guess if there's one thing that could improve the show, it would be switching to single camera. There are a lot of gags that don't work whatsoever in front of an audience: on multiple occasions, a character speaks in a foreign language with subtitles at the bottom of the screen. Every episode has fake commercials (filmed without an audience) for different weed products. At one point we "hear" what one character is thinking in her head. If you're going to do so much with cutaways, voiceovers, and subtitles, why bother having an audience? So they can scream every time Kathy Bates says "fuck"?

This show has absolutely nothing going for it. Without a doubt it's one of the worst TV shows I've ever seen. Netflix already has a multi-cam gem on their hands with One Day at a Time. Watch that, for humanities' sake. Unless you really, really want to see Nicole Sullivan give a hand job to a steering wheel.

Thanks for the heads up!

This is just my personal opinion, but G&F and ODAAT do nothing for me. They're also examples of modern comedy I just don't care for. I'd be hard-pressed to even label G&F a comedy at all - each time I give it another chance, all I can think is, this is supposed to be funny?

Until further notice, I'm sticking with reruns. This century just doesn't do it for me. I was born too late :/

• Like 1

"...Unless you really, really want to see Nicole Sullivan give a hand job to a steering wheel..."

Talk about a "visual"!! WTF??! :blink::MrsRichardCarlson:

Had a chance to go to a couple of the tapings but passed...guess it turns out it was for the best!  Thanks for the heads up! (But of course my morbid curiousity means I'll still have to check it out at some point! :HALKING: )

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up!

This is just my personal opinion, but G&F and ODAAT do nothing for me. They're also examples of modern comedy I just don't care for. I'd be hard-pressed to even label G&F a comedy at all - each time I give it another chance, all I can think is, this is supposed to be funny?

Until further notice, I'm sticking with reruns. This century just doesn't do it for me. I was born too late :/

What I really liked about the new ODAAT was how humble it is. It knows it's nothing brilliant, but it does the best it can. That being said, I can't remember a single plot or joke even though it hasn't been that long since I've seen the show. Grace and Frankie, especially this season, is a laugh riot compared to fellow "comedy" series Transparent. I truly don't understand how that show classifies as a comedy- Murder She Wrote has more jokes and a lighter tone (that's not a joke). 

While I'm also part of the Rerun Set, I'm very happy being born when I was- only in 2017 do we have the capabilities to enjoy such a huge spectrum of classic shows and movies whenever we want. 

• Like 1

"...Unless you really, really want to see Nicole Sullivan give a hand job to a steering wheel..."

Talk about a "visual"!! WTF??! :blink::MrsRichardCarlson:

Had a chance to go to a couple of the tapings but passed...guess it turns out it was for the best!  Thanks for the heads up! (But of course my morbid curiousity means I'll still have to check it out at some point! :HALKING: )

You and your morbid curiosity, lol! The annals of history will have to rescind the reputations of Life With Lucy and Hello Larry after that steering wheel bit.

• Like 1

What I really liked about the new ODAAT was how humble it is. It knows it's nothing brilliant, but it does the best it can. That being said, I can't remember a single plot or joke even though it hasn't been that long since I've seen the show. Grace and Frankie, especially this season, is a laugh riot compared to fellow "comedy" series Transparent. I truly don't understand how that show classifies as a comedy- Murder She Wrote has more jokes and a lighter tone (that's not a joke). 

While I'm also part of the Rerun Set, I'm very happy being born when I was- only in 2017 do we have the capabilities to enjoy such a huge spectrum of classic shows and movies whenever we want.

LOL, I was joking about the being born too late part, but you do make a good point. It would've been a lot harder to see all these shows back then than it is now.

SNL did a funny commercial parody a few years ago about a new "comedy" about a bunch of suicidal depressives living together. But it's a half hour show, therefore it's a comedy!

• Like 1