Martin Short: You Never Knew Lucy

LittleRickyII

I think he's just referring Lucy's toughness in general.  Interesting that the irony isn't apparent to them.  That they're bemoaning the sexism that exists and Martin makes what seems to be a sexist remark. 

At 3:09 in this video, Martin Short makes that remark (back up to 2:38 to put it in context).  Everyone busts a gut laughing.  What does he mean? What am I missing?  I know he's told that story about his encounter with Lucille Ball on an airplane.  Is he alluding to that?

I think he's just referring Lucy's toughness in general.  Interesting that the irony isn't apparent to them.  That they're bemoaning the sexism that exists and Martin makes what seems to be a sexist remark. 

Well I guess my question is why Lucy of all people?  Lucille Ball is an iconic figure, but is her toughness that widely known in 2016?  I wouldn't expect the average person to know that aspect of her personality, but here this audience and the people on the panel are laughing hysterically.  She's been gone for 27 years, so it just surprises me.  If he had said someone more current with that reputation, like Nicky Minaj or Madonna, that would make sense to me.  But Lucille Ball?

I think it was just a joke, Bill asks him if he knew lucy, and he shakes his head, I think it was just Marty being Marty. It was a nice suprise when I was watching this episode though.

It was just a joke, yes, but he's conjuring up an image of Lucille Ball grabbing men by the balls.  And the way people are laughing suggests she has that reputation with the general public 27 years after her death.  That's what surprises me.

Well I guess my question is why Lucy of all people?  Lucille Ball is an iconic figure, but is her toughness that widely known in 2016?  I wouldn't expect the average person to know that aspect of her personality, but here this audience and the people on the panel are laughing hysterically.  She's been gone for 27 years, so it just surprises me.  If he had said someone more current with that reputation, like Nicky Minaj or Madonna, that would make sense to me.  But Lucille Ball?

It was just a joke, yes, but he's conjuring up an image of Lucille Ball grabbing men by the balls.  And the way people are laughing suggests she has that reputation with the general public 27 years after her death.  That's what surprises me.

I think it was because those that know Lucy in 2016, see her as the zany housewife on TV reruns, they don't have the encyclopedic Lucy knowledge of the denizens of this forum, also I think it was a random name that just popped into his head, and as for Neil saying it seemed to be a sexist remark, it was a JOKE, pure and simple. I am a little surprised at the reaction to it here, I thought I would have to post it when I saw it but Little Ricky was all over it like he has Lucy radar.

• Like 1

I think it was because those that know Lucy in 2016, see her as the zany housewife on TV reruns, they don't have the encyclopedic Lucy knowledge of the denizens of this forum,

That's exactly my point, that I thought most people only see Lucille Ball "as the zany housewife on TV reruns."  But that whole audience, and those on the panel, are laughing so hard, which suggests they are also all familiar with Lucille Ball's tough reputation, that they can see her grabbing a man by the balls, like a female Donald Trump.  I wouldn't have thought a typical person in 2016 would know that about Lucille Ball. I wouldn't think they would have gotten Martin's joke, but they did.