I Love Lucy On Blu-Ray

I would absolutely buy the show on Blu-ray as long as they actually upgraded the picture/sound quality. Some black and white movies (ie. Psycho) look great on Blu-ray while others (b&w scenes in Wizard of Oz) are totally lacking/distorted. I'm told this has something to do with transfers and a bunch of other technical jargon I don't understand.

Things I want in a Blu-Ray release:

1. Better menus. Whoever though the same (hideous) menu for the entire series (sans Comedy Hours) was a loon...or lazy. And, frankly, I don't care for the menus used for the Comedy Hours either (and the similar menus seen on the TLS releases).

2. If possible, all the My Favorite Husband episodes. It kinda irks me that some discs have several episodes and others only have one or two, why didn't they include as much as possible? It would be thrilling to have the entire show available.

3. Any scenes that are missing from episodes (ie. Tallulah's hives convo) added in. Something tells me there might be more things out there we haven't seen yet or we're forgetting. (P.S. I KNOW I've seen the scene missing from the Tallulah ep on the DVDs, so it was either on the VHS release or aired in syndication on TV Land/Nick at Nite.)

4. More rehearsal footage, Desi's warm ups, interviews and/or commentaries with anyway still with us. Maybe even episode introductions.

5. Know what I really loved about the Hollywood and European episodes VHS boxed sets? It was like watching a movie. I want that to be an option. I know, I know. I could just use my remote to skip the openings and closings but this feature would be easy with Blu-ray so I'd love for it to be available.

6. More extensive photo galleries. Include things like shooting schedules, photos of props, costumes, etc. as well as production stills, rehearsal pictures, etc.

7. Maybe not possible, but how AMAZING would it be to have Joyce's chronology incorporated with the sets? Even if they only used her information for the years corresponding with the show.

I'm sure I can come up with more...

Already thought of something: The 50th Anniversary Special and whatever other specials may occur between then and now.

And need I say I want the Blu-ray releases to include the bonus materials already made available?

I would love to see more home movies (if any) of any dressed rehearsals that are available and color pics of the sets from the series. In the 10 year run of the show there has to be more color pics than what we've see. :D

Exactly, that would even further convince me to buy.

One thing they still owe us is the missing HIVES SCENE from "The Celebrity Next Door". I still am Appalled that they didn't include this on the DVD set.

YUP! The setup... when Fred has that strawberry pie spilled on him and Lucy says "Oh! My beautifull strawberry pie!" and Tahlulah says something like "it's okay, don't worry.. I'm allergic to strawberries.. I break out in hives..". Then, the payoff when Roast Duckling Supream is severed in the PTA play, and Tahlulah tastes it and says.."Tastes like strawberries".. Desi: "Strawberries".. Vivian: "Strawberries??".. Lucy: "SUPRISE!!".. just pisses me off.. how the heck can people who haven't seen it before get the joke?? Just by going on the sceen in Tahlulah's kitchen where Lucy gives Tahlulah her homade blackberry jam and says "It's blackberry, not strawberry.. you won't have to worry about getting hives." "My hives and I thank you!"... I'm sure people seein it for the first time are thinking.. what hives?? what allergy?? when the heck did that happen?? While Lucille's later tv shows kinda did that.. skipped around in plot.. it was NOT an I LOVE LUCY way of laying the groundwork!!

If they do realease the series on blue ray.. surely the powers that be should digitally remaster them all and include all of the episodes.. even if the film stock master is poor.. they did that when the mertz's go to the dinning car and prepare for dinner before Lucy pulls the cord and stops the train.. "I didn't do it by draggin my foot!" You know, I think about this stuff too much!!.. maybe I'm not normal!!!

YUP! The setup... when Fred has that strawberry pie spilled on him and Lucy says "Oh! My beautifull strawberry pie!" and Tahlulah says something like "it's okay, don't worry.. I'm allergic to strawberries.. I break out in hives..". Then, the payoff when Roast Duckling Supream is severed in the PTA play, and Tahlulah tastes it and says.."Tastes like strawberries".. Desi: "Strawberries".. Vivian: "Strawberries??".. Lucy: "SUPRISE!!".. just pisses me off.. how the heck can people who haven't seen it before get the joke?? Just by going on the sceen in Tahlulah's kitchen where Lucy gives Tahlulah her homade blackberry jam and says "It's blackberry, not strawberry.. you won't have to worry about getting hives." "My hives and I thank you!"... I'm sure people seein it for the first time are thinking.. what hives?? what allergy?? when the heck did that happen?? While Lucille's later tv shows kinda did that.. skipped around in plot.. it was NOT an I LOVE LUCY way of laying the groundwork!!

If they do realease the series on blue ray.. surely the powers that be should digitally remaster them all and include all of the episodes.. even if the film stock master is poor.. they did that when the mertz's go to the dinning car and prepare for dinner before Lucy pulls the cord and stops the train.. "I didn't do it by draggin my foot!" You know, I think about this stuff too much!!.. maybe I'm not normal!!!

Hon, please, you're perfectly NORMAL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . for a Lucy fan that is!

YUP! The setup... when Fred has that strawberry pie spilled on him and Lucy says "Oh! My beautifull strawberry pie!" and Tahlulah says something like "it's okay, don't worry.. I'm allergic to strawberries.. I break out in hives..". Then, the payoff when Roast Duckling Supream is severed in the PTA play, and Tahlulah tastes it and says.."Tastes like strawberries".. Desi: "Strawberries".. Vivian: "Strawberries??".. Lucy: "SUPRISE!!".. just pisses me off.. how the heck can people who haven't seen it before get the joke??

That's exactly what happened to me the first time I saw the episode when I was a kid. I always wondered what the heck all this strawberries talk was about. Years later, I saw the deleted scene and it all made sense. When I bought the complete series, I was so mad that the deleted scene was not included in the episode!!

I would absolutely buy the show on Blu-ray as long as they actually upgraded the picture/sound quality. Some black and white movies (ie. Psycho) look great on Blu-ray while others (b&w scenes in Wizard of Oz) are totally lacking/distorted. I'm told this has something to do with transfers and a bunch of other technical jargon I don't understand.

Things I want in a Blu-Ray release:

1. Better menus. Whoever though the same (hideous) menu for the entire series (sans Comedy Hours) was a loon...or lazy. And, frankly, I don't care for the menus used for the Comedy Hours either (and the similar menus seen on the TLS releases).

2. If possible, all the My Favorite Husband episodes. It kinda irks me that some discs have several episodes and others only have one or two, why didn't they include as much as possible? It would be thrilling to have the entire show available.

3. Any scenes that are missing from episodes (ie. Tallulah's hives convo) added in. Something tells me there might be more things out there we haven't seen yet or we're forgetting. (P.S. I KNOW I've seen the scene missing from the Tallulah ep on the DVDs, so it was either on the VHS release or aired in syndication on TV Land/Nick at Nite.)

4. More rehearsal footage, Desi's warm ups, interviews and/or commentaries with anyway still with us. Maybe even episode introductions.

5. Know what I really loved about the Hollywood and European episodes VHS boxed sets? It was like watching a movie. I want that to be an option. I know, I know. I could just use my remote to skip the openings and closings but this feature would be easy with Blu-ray so I'd love for it to be available.

6. More extensive photo galleries. Include things like shooting schedules, photos of props, costumes, etc. as well as production stills, rehearsal pictures, etc.

7. Maybe not possible, but how AMAZING would it be to have Joyce's chronology incorporated with the sets? Even if they only used her information for the years corresponding with the show.

I'm sure I can come up with more...

"7. Maybe not possible, but how AMAZING would it be to have Joyce's chronology incorporated with the sets? Even if they only used her information for the years corresponding with the show."

WOW, Robbie - thanks for thinking of me; and all this time, I've been trying to get LucyPictureLover to 'loan' me some of his artwork for the 'tome' - let's keep throwing those ideas around some more; maybe we can think of something really spectacular to add to the chronology....I appreciate your comments, so much, you can't even imagine....Love, JK

"7. Maybe not possible, but how AMAZING would it be to have Joyce's chronology incorporated with the sets? Even if they only used her information for the years corresponding with the show."

WOW, Robbie - thanks for thinking of me; and all this time, I've been trying to get LucyPictureLover to 'loan' me some of his artwork for the 'tome' - let's keep throwing those ideas around some more; maybe we can think of something really spectacular to add to the chronology....I appreciate your comments, so much, you can't even imagine....Love, JK

Well, you definitely need loads of pics of all the people involved as they are mostly unknown to most of the world, most are stars from a bygone era.

Being in the UK I was only familiar with the old CBS NTSC VHS releases of the Comedy Hours - and the hives stuff was on that tape (were there more than 1 VHS release of this episode?). When I saw it on the DVD set I didn't realise till after the episode had played that either I missed the sequence or it was missing. I assumed I missed it - can't believe it is missing from the DVD. Has there been any official announcement from Paramount/CBS about this ???

Being in the UK I was only familiar with the old CBS NTSC VHS releases of the Comedy Hours - and the hives stuff was on that tape (were there more than 1 VHS release of this episode?). When I saw it on the DVD set I didn't realise till after the episode had played that either I missed the sequence or it was missing. I assumed I missed it - can't believe it is missing from the DVD. Has there been any official announcement from Paramount/CBS about this ???

Well, there ya go, i knew i wasn't crazy, that i already had it on MY copy, i had the We Love Lucy version and it was included on that as it was a shortened version of the show but they included all the most imporant plot points and they don't get any more important that the set up for that whole joke.

Hon, please, you're perfectly NORMAL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . for a Lucy fan that is!

Thank you for putting it in perspective for me! The people who buy these collections want the entire episode. We are fans and want it correct!! That is the target audience.. seems to me, if they have the ability, they should indulge us!! Thanks for appreciating my input guys!!!

Seems rather dubious that CBS/Paramount would leave an edited version go out - no quality control checking???

In the UK in the last year or so we have had problems with the DVD releases of THE AVENGERS, but the DVD company (Optimum) has so far replaced all the discs concerned for fans. why doesn't this happen with this Lucy problem.

Archived