Carole Cook Live in (Possibly Last) Annual S.T.A.G.E. Benefit "Idols & Icons" May 13th!

18119513_10158491684040567_3578075321637

Southland Theatre Artists Goodwill Event

Saturday, May 13, 2017 Idols & Icons
Tickets for S.T.A.G.E. are now on sale!

After 33 years we’re proudly taking our final curtain call. Don’t miss it!

Join us for S.T.A.G.E. on May 13! Tickets are available for purchase at Ticketmaster or the Saban Theatre website.

For more information on sponsorships, VIP package seating, and advertising in the commemorative journal, please download an order form.  Due to limited space only VIP package tickets and sponsorships offer admission to pre- and post-show receptions.

“Idols & Icons” is the title of the 33rd annual performance. It will pay tribute to the stars of yesterday and today. Stay tuned for additional cast announcements and news. David Galligan returns as director and Michael Orland as musical director.

Cast scheduled (subject to change) to appear include Carole Cook, David Burnham, India Carney, Melinda Doolittle, Anthony Fedorov, Joely Fisher, Barrett Foa, Bill Hutton, Jane A Johnston, Dale Kristien, Vicki Lewis, Kimberley Locke, Jon Maher, Sharon McNight, Christine Pedi, Jai Rodriguez, Joan Ryan, and Jake Simpson, among many others! :HALKING:

In addition, APLA Health is proud to announce that we will honor philanthropist and business owner David Cooley, presenting him with our first-ever Humanitarian Award. Since 2001, Cooley’s West Hollywood hot spot, The Abbey Food + Bar, has hosted numerous fundraisers for APLA Health and has helped raise nearly $2 million, allowing us to continue providing life-saving services to thousands of patients and clients.

Since 1996, S.T.A.G.E. has recognized performers, philanthropists, businesses, organizations and individuals for their dedicated work in the fight against AIDS with the “S.T.A.G.E. Producers Award.” This year, S.T.A.G.E. Producers Award will be presented to Ted Seifman, for his long-standing commitment to both S.T.A.G.E. and to APLA Health.

Begun in 1984, S.T.A.G.E. is the longest-running annual HIV/AIDS fundraiser in the world. Over the last three decades, more than 350 stars of Broadway, film and television have performed music from the Great White Way while raising more than $5 million for HIV/AIDS organizations in the Los Angeles area.

Funds raised through S.T.A.G.E. support a variety of APLA Health’s services, including primary medical, dental, and behavioral health care, the Vance North Necessities of Life Program food pantries, in-home health care, benefits counseling, housing assistance, HIV prevention and testing efforts, and a range of other services on which thousands of Angelenos affected by HIV/AIDS depend. S.T.A.G.E. is among the most enduring and valuable sources of private support for APLA Health’s HIV/AIDS care, prevention, and advocacy work.

S.T.A.G.E. 2017
The Saban Theatre
8440 Wilshire Blvd., Beverly Hills, CA 90211
Saturday, May 13, 2017

Lobby 6:00 p.m.
Doors 7:00 p.m.
Show 7:30 p.m.

Please be advised of the Purple Line construction and allow extra time for navigating the Wilshire/La Cienega area.

Questions? Contact Charles Robbins at 213.201.1525 or by email.

Why last?

Frankly? From my understanding, AIDS "fatigue", or what has been described as such: This benefit originated decades ago as one response to helping with the then-epidemic; in today's "climate", the urgency (real or imagined) supposedly -- unlike the disease and or HIV-related issues -- no longer exists as it has largely become a "manageable", if not chronic disease/diagnosis.

Also, in reality, those "on the forefront" all these years i.e. the director who puts this together every year along with scads of volunteers plus all the talent who have donated their time and appearances over the years, are simply TIRED of doing it; not the show itself so much -- it's one of the best, heartfelt and generous productions year after year I've ever been priviliged to witness -- but the reason behind it.

And sad as I am to see it go (although I've already heard rumors it will most likely return in a smaller, "different" form), it has pretty much run it's course:  last couple years' shows attendance were down significantly, and many folks I know who have attended for years religiously even expressed disinterest and waning support, to the extent that 1) I'm almost surprised there is actually going to be one more show and 2) that it's going to again be held at the Saban, which used to sell out just a few years ago but was so replete with unsold seats the last couple of years that they considered changing to a smaller venue *if* the show were to be mounted again.  (Maybe they're hoping if word spreads "this is it" that it will sell better this year.  Here's hoping!)

• 3 weeks later...

One of my go-to fave gay-oriented entertainment columnists, whom I've run into several times over the years at the S.T.A.G.E. benefit, had these kind words to say about our own Mildred after this reportedly, final appearance closing this year's show:

"I also attended the Southland Theatre Artists Goodwill Event -- otherwise known as STAGE.  This fundraiser -- the world's longest-running annual HIV/AIDS benefit -- took its final bow with a cavalcade of stars from stage, screen and TV.  The ageless Carole Cook was at the very first STAGE concert.  She's been in 31 of the 33, but she had a good excuse for the two that she missed -- she was on Broadway!  It was fitting for her to close the show, easily sounding and appearing a generation or two younger than her 93 years.  She embodied everything that has been right with this event, which has raised tens of millions of dollars over these many years.  Bravo!"  :HALKING:

Talk about the End of An Era!! :vanda:

http://www.billymasters.com/custom/blog/2017/05/22/the-stage-finale/

"I also attended the Southland Theatre Artists Goodwill Event -- otherwise known as STAGE.  This fundraiser -- the world's longest-running annual HIV/AIDS benefit -- took its final bow with a cavalcade of stars from stage, screen and TV.  The ageless Carole Cook was at the very first STAGE concert.  She's been in 31 of the 33, but she had a good excuse for the two that she missed -- she was on Broadway!  It was fitting for her to close the show, easily sounding and appearing a generation or two younger than her 93 years.  She embodied everything that has been right with this event, which has raised tens of millions of dollars over these many years.  Bravo!" 

Thanks, Joey - GREAT STUFF for the chronology!  JK :fabrary: 

• Like 1