Lucille Ball Actress Sandra Dickinson Is Loving Playing the 50's Icon

LittleRickyII

Sandra is o e of those actresses that's been in lots of things and everyone knows her but she was never a lead actress in the UK. Can't see hee as Lucy myself but wouldn't mind going to see the show still. Hardly anyone in the UK knows her these days in my experience so will be interesting to see how it goes

I didn't realize this was still running.  I saw it when it premiered in Laguna Beach, may have even been a preview.  I'm assuming they did considerable work on it since then because I didn't think much of it.  Again, it's impossible to play Lucy.  Do you do an interpretation? An imitation?  Someone's going to be unsatisfied.  In the version I saw, the woman playing Lucy played her more like Estelle Getty.  

As we move farther away from that era, most people, if they know her at all, think of her as Lucy Ricardo and nothing more.   Lucy of the 80s was but a distant relation to Lucy of the 50s.  Time-wise, we're now the same distance from the 80s and the 80s were to the 50s, a sobering thought. 

Paula Stewart is now being skewered on THREE continents. 

• Like 1

I didn't realize this was still running.  I saw it when it premiered in Laguna Beach, may have even been a preview.  I'm assuming they did considerable work on it since then because I didn't think much of it.  Again, it's impossible to play Lucy.  Do you do an interpretation? An imitation?  Someone's going to be unsatisfied.  In the version I saw, the woman playing Lucy played her more like Estelle Getty.  

As we move farther away from that era, most people, if they know her at all, think of her as Lucy Ricardo and nothing more.   Lucy of the 80s was but a distant relation to Lucy of the 50s.  Time-wise, we're now the same distance from the 80s and the 80s were to the 50s, a sobering thought. 

Paula Stewart is now being skewered on THREE continents. 

Not so much "still" running as I understand but being performed sporadically in different locations with differing casts.

My only reference -- aside from Tannen's book -- is seeing it at Laguna Beach too and not coming away, as I recall, very impressed.  Thought the woman who played her did the best she could but was certainly more reminiscent of Sophia than later-in-life Lucy.  But let's face it, it was really a vanity project by and for the benefit of Tannen, who came off a bit better in his book IMHO.

But that still doesn't mean he wasn't just another generations younger than her sycophant, gaining entree into her private life due primarily to his lineage to Gary Morton. :blink:  Productions such as these have always left a somewhat bad taste in my mouth, produced as they are to show off the author's brief albeit impressive "connection to the star(s)"! :HALKING:

I've often wondered with a chuckle whether there was ever an occasion in which Tannen, Stern and Brochu all showed up coincidentally at Roxbury all at the same time and had to "flip a coin" or something in the alley to decide who got to "play" with her that day... oh, what a motley group. 

The mind reels...   :vanda:

• Like 1

I caught that, too... and it certainly sounds a lot closer to the version I saw in Laguna Beach (despite different casts)! :HALKING:

Vanity project for Lee Tannen?? BINGO! :vanda:

JoeyCentralCal, on 23 Jul 2017 - 07:26 AM, said:

Productions such as these have always left a somewhat bad taste in my mouth, produced as they are to show off the author's brief albeit impressive "connection to the star(s)"! :HALKING:

Very well said and I completely agree. I'd never heard of this show prior to this thread popping up, but I see my instincts about it were spot on.

JoeyCentralCal, on 23 Jul 2017 - 07:26 AM, said:

I've often wondered with a chuckle whether there was ever an occasion in which Tannen, Stern and Brochu all showed up coincidentally at Roxbury all at the same time and had to "flip a coin" or something in the alley to decide who got to "play" with her that day... oh, what a motley group.

:hlLOL::hlLOL: :hlLOL: !!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1