For Your Consideration

Freddie2

I don't think the Television Academy started nominating shows and performers based on hand-picked episodes until the 70s- at least there doesn't seem to be any record of episode submissions prior to that decade. So, with that in mind, what are the episodes you would submit for Lucy's various shows?

Traditionally, six episodes are submitted for Outstanding Comedy Series, one for lead performances, and between one and three for supporting performances. 

Por ejemplo (as they would say in Cuba):

I Love Lucy, Season Two (1952-1953)

Outstanding Comedy Series:

"Job Switching"

"The Operetta"

"The Courtroom"

"Lucy is Enceinte"

"Ricky and Fred are TV Fans"

"Never Do Business With Friends"

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series:

"Lucy Wants New Furniture"

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series:

"Ricky Has Labor Pains" or "Lucy Goes to The Hospital"

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series

"The Operetta"

"The Club Election"

"Never Do Business With Friends"

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series

"The Courtroom"

"Lucy Hires an English Tutor"

• Like 1

Great idea!  I wonder if Here's Lucy was submitting specific episodes in the 70s.   They obviously submitted "The Burtons" garnering nominations for Gale, Bob and Madelyn.  But why with only THREE nominees for Outstanding Actress in a Comedy Series was Lucy herself not up?  For the record they were perennial loser Marlo Thomas for "TG"'s last season, Mary Tyler Moore and winner Jean Stapleton.  I'd like to see Mary or Jean make something out of "(Insert their name) and Ma Parker".  This was the first year the other perennial loser Elizabeth Montgomery did not get a nomination.   How hard it must have been for both of them to lose to Hope Lange TWO YEARS in a row.  And while the 70-71 season of Here's Lucy was no great shakes, could it have been any worse than 2 of the Best Comedy nominees "Love American Style" and the forgotten "Arnie" (neither of which I've ever seen)?

My guess would be that Lucy had already won what was considered her "fair share" of Emmys by the time HL rolled around. Maybe it's even possible Lucy stopped submitting herself? 

Standards are much different today- what with Julia Louis-Dreyfus edging towards what will probably be her seventh consecutive win as Selena Meyer (it's still the best show on TV- but the Best Actress hogging can be a bit much). I don't want to knock Hope Lange as Carolyn Muir, because she gives an admirable and charismatic performance, the only problem being that the show isn't one bit funny. It's charming, cute, romantic, and atmospheric, but comedy it ain't! Perhaps Lange's wins came from the vote being tied up; I can certainly see that being the case when her only competitors were Montgomery and Thomas.

It's odd that TLS ended its run such a critical success, only to have HL roll around five months later with nothing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

My guess would be that Lucy had already won what was considered her "fair share" of Emmys by the time HL rolled around. Maybe it's even possible Lucy stopped submitting herself? 

Standards are much different today- what with Julia Louis-Dreyfus edging towards what will probably be her seventh consecutive win as Selena Meyer (it's still the best show on TV- but the Best Actress hogging can be a bit much). I don't want to knock Hope Lange as Carolyn Muir, because she gives an admirable and charismatic performance, the only problem being that the show isn't one bit funny. It's charming, cute, romantic, and atmospheric, but comedy it ain't! Perhaps Lange's wins came from the vote being tied up; I can certainly see that being the case when her only competitors were Montgomery and Thomas.

It's odd that TLS ended its run such a critical success, only to have HL roll around five months later with nothing. 

Not knocking Hope but "Muir" did not tax her acting talents.  The material gave her nothing to excel at.  She won for a series that was cancelled TWICE, first by NBC, then ABC.  (And the Best Comedy Actor winner for 69-70 went to William Windom also for a cancelled show). By the time of Hope's first win (68-69), Elizabeth's performances had changed into a lot of mugging and the adoption of Ethel Mertz's "Well....", and the bloom was off the "Bewitched" rose.  But it's a shame there were no category nominees in Bewitched's first season (64-65) because her performance at the time was quite nuanced.  

Interesting tidbit: from 61-62 to 73-74, the same actress won Comedy Series Star two years in a row.   First Shirley Booth, Mary Tyler Moore, Lucy, Hope, Jean Stapleton and Mary Tyler Moore again for her own show.  Then the 2-wins-in-a-row streak was broken by Valerie Harper's single season win for "Rhoda".   Mary's 2 wins in a row for Dick Van Dyke were actually separate by that one screwball year I've already mentioned where there were no category nominees. 

Going right from Lange as Carolyn Muir to Jean Stapleton as Edith Bunker has got to be one of the biggest leaps in quality in Emmy history. The same thing has kind of happened just recently in the Best Actor category, with Jim Parsons doing a great job (regardless of the show’s overall quality) and then Jeffrey Tambor winning twice for a highly skilled dramatic performance that has never made me laugh. As far as Donald Glover... I really don’t know what to say about Atlanta. I really, really tried watching it but I can’t ever tell what the people are saying. It makes me feel like an old grandpa. 

I do want to give a shoutout to the theme song for The Ghost & Mrs. Muir, because it’s for sure one of the best ever.

I Love Lucy, Season Four (1954-1955)

"Mr. & Mrs. TV Show"

"California, Here We Come"

"First Stop"

"L.A. At Last"

"Harpo Marx"

"Ricky Needs an Agent"

"The Dancing Star"

"Ricky Needs an Agent"

"The Fashion Show"

"The Star Upstairs"

"The Tour"

"Getting Ready"

"Lucy Learns to Drive"

"Don Juan and the Starlets"

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

I’d substitute Viv’s “Fashion Show” with “Ethel’s Birthday”. Season Four is so jam-packed, it’s hard to pick!

VERY hard to choose. 

In my personal opinion, the three Ethel episodes I picked featured some of Vivian's best work of the entire series. "Ethel's Birthday" is a great overall episode, but I've always found Lucy's performance to be more of the centerpiece. Viv had some good moments, but nowhere near the amount of LOL material "The Fashion Show" gave her. Again, my personal opinions.

But this brings up an interesting point that submitters have to deal with - sometimes narrowing it down to just two or three selections is quite a challenge, especially when opinions differ and there's so much to choose from. And it surprises me that lead performers can only have one submission. Narrowing it down to just one Lucy performance is a tall order - although in the case of season 4, most will agree "The Dancing Star" is a no brainer. 

• Like 1

The Lucy Show, Season Two (1963-1964)

Outstanding Comedy Series

"Kiddie Parties, Inc."

"Lucy Gets Locked in The Vault"

"Lucy Puts Out a Fire at the Bank"

"The Loophole in The Lease"

"Lucy Conducts The Symphony"

"Lucy Enters a Baking Contest"

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series

Lucille Ball

"Lucy Conducts The Symphony"

Vivian Vance

"The Loophole in The Lease"

"Lucy Gets Locked in The Vault"

"Lucy and The Bank Scandal"

"Chris Goes Steady"

• Like 1

I Love Lucy, Season Three (1953-1954)

"Equal Rights"

"Lucy Tells the Truth"

"Too Many Crooks"

"Home Movies"

"The Diner"

"The Sublease"

"Lucy Tells the Truth" or "The Million Dollar Idea"

"Ricky Loses His Temper"

"Lucy & Ethel Buy the Same Dress"

"Redecorating the Mertz's Apartment"

"The Black Wig"

"Lucy is Envious"

"The Diner"

Here's Lucy Season Six (1973-1974)

"Lucy's Tenant"

"Lucy and Joan Rivers Do Jury Duty"

"Lucy Plays Cops and Robbers"

"Lucy is N.G. as an R.N."

"Where Is My Wandering Mother Tonight?"

"Lucy Fights The System"

"Harry Catches Gold Fever"

"Meanwhile, Back at the Office"

"Lucy Is N.G. as an R.N."

• 2 weeks later...

Life With Lucy Season 0.5 (1986-1986)

"One Good Grandparent Deserves Another"

"Love Among The Two-by-Fours"

"Lucy Gets Her Wires Crossed"

"Lucy, Legal Beagle"

"Mother of The Bride"

"Breaking Up is Hard to Do"

"Love Among The Two-by-Fours"

"Lucy Gets Her Wires Crossed"

"Lucy and Curtis are Up a Tree"

"Breaking Up is Hard To Do"

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series

John Ritter

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series

Audrey Meadows

• Like 1

The Lucy Show Season One (1962-1963)

"Lucy Puts Up a TV Antenna"

"Lucy & Her Electric Mattress"

"Lucy & Viv Are Volunteer Firemen"

"Lucy & Viv Put in a Shower"

"Lucy & the Little League"

"Lucy Buys a Boat"

"Lucy is Kangaroo for a Day"

"Vivian Sues Lucy"

"Lucy's Sister Pays a Visit"

"Lucy & Viv Put in a Shower"

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/6/2018 at 8:01 PM, Freddie2 said:

Here's Lucy Season Six (1973-1974)

"Lucy's Tenant"

"Lucy and Joan Rivers Do Jury Duty"

"Lucy Plays Cops and Robbers"

"Lucy is N.G. as an R.N."

"Lucy Fights The System"

"Harry Catches Gold Fever"

"Meanwhile, Back at the Office"

"Lucy Is N.G. as an R.N."

Though she was the star of this episode,  I would nominate Lucie as Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for "Fights the System".