Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Chronology

leenorman

In response to both Brock and Claude, and others, what I'm REALLY AFTER here, by posting the chronology research project, is that EACH of the Lucille Ball EXPERTS here in the Forum will help the editing process, by posting corrections, when you find factual ERRORS, so I can fix.

Thanks to all of you for this hard work.....and......if you so desire, you can 'secret message' me by the usual method.... leenorman

In response to both Brock and Claude, and others, what I'm REALLY AFTER here, by posting the chronology research project, is that EACH of the Lucille Ball EXPERTS here in the Forum will help the editing process, by posting corrections, when you find factual ERRORS, so I can fix.

Thanks to all of you for this hard work.....and......if you so desire, you can 'secret message' me by the usual method.... leenorman

Nah, then we'd expect editor credit on the book, LOL!

Nah, then we'd expect editor credit on the book, LOL!

I'm trying to credit each of you who post under your 'assumed names' when I put your posts of value and informational pieces into the chronology - so, please don't snub me....dearheart....

Anyone, even researchers, can find something 'wrong' and print it, believing it's factual....look at some of the STUFF that's already been published.....wrongly! I'd like this to be as close to correct as I can get it, and I need help from my LIVING EXPERTS here on the LOUNGE....leenorman

I'm trying to credit each of you who post under your 'assumed names' when I put your posts of value and informational pieces into the chronology - so, please don't snub me....dearheart....

Anyone, even researchers, can find something 'wrong' and print it, believing it's factual....look at some of the STUFF that's already been published.....wrongly! I'd like this to be as close to correct as I can get it, and I need help from my LIVING EXPERTS here on the LOUNGE....leenorman

Honey, i was only joking, will try and help you anytime i can but i never have the dates and times and info you often require, will do my best though.

Posted Today, 12:12 AM - Claude -

"Geez, even Michael Stern makes the chronology? Just how desperate are you for entries anyway? Just kidding, i love Mikey."

It's gonna be my policy for additions, ANYTHING except which I consider 'smut' will be added. It's her 'diary', after all. She probably would have wanted Michael added, since he was one of her close associates for a time.

Love, JK

Posted Today, 12:12 AM - Claude -

"Geez, even Michael Stern makes the chronology? Just how desperate are you for entries anyway? Just kidding, i love Mikey."

It's gonna be my policy for additions, ANYTHING except which I consider 'smut' will be added. It's her 'diary', after all. She probably would have wanted Michael added, since he was one of her close associates for a time.

Love, JK

Oh yeah, she babysat him quite a few years. :marionstrong:

I have added what comes next to the January 13, 2011, chronology:

The Lucy Lounge Website, courtesy, 'morethanonesubject' - addition to research of 1/14/10: Wikipedia – “Desilu Productions' former home, 846 N. Cahuenga Boulevard, Hollywood, California, is now a rental office, Ren-Mar Studios, (1974). Built in 1915, as Metro Pictures, Back Lot #3, it has been used for a wide variety of film and television productions, and by many different names. In 1953, after filming (“I Love Lucyâ€) at another studio, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz bought the Lot, known as Motion Picture Center, and signed a ten-year lease on the property, it became Desilu Studios. In 1956, when the Arnazes bought/leased other studios in Hollywood and Culver City, it became Desilu-Caluenga Studios. (“I Love Lucyâ€) Seasons 3-6; The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour; The Dick Van Dyke Show, Make Room for Daddy, Hogan's Heroes, The Andy Griffith Show, The Jack Benny Show, That Girl, Seinfeld, The Golden Girls, NewsRadio, Ally McBeal, and Lizzie McGuire, are among the television programs which have been filmed partially or fully at what is now Ren-Mar Studios, It became Ren-Mar Studios in 1974 - and 'JoeySoCal'- Lucy Lounge - '...January 2010, Ren-Mar Studios was bought by Red Digital Camera Company. The complex was re-named Red Studios Hollywood,'†posted this date in 2011.

Thanks to Claude & Joey, and let's keep the record as straight as we can....Fondly, JK

I ahve added what comes next to the January 13, 2011, chronology:

The Lucy Lounge Website, courtesy, 'morethanonesubject' - addition to research of 1/14/10: Wikipedia – “Desilu Productions' former home, 846 N. Cahuenga Boulevard, Hollywood, California, is now a rental office, Ren-Mar Studios, (1974). Built in 1915, as Metro Pictures, Back Lot #3, it has been used for a wide variety of film and television productions, and by many different names. In 1953, after filming (“I Love Lucyâ€) at another studio, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz bought the Lot, known as Motion Picture Center, and signed a ten-year lease on the property, it became Desilu Studios. In 1956, when the Arnazes bought/leased other studios in Hollywood and Culver City, it became Desilu-Caluenga Studios. (“I Love Lucyâ€) Seasons 3-6; The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour; The Dick Van Dyke Show, Make Room for Daddy, Hogan's Heroes, The Andy Griffith Show, The Jack Benny Show, That Girl, Seinfeld, The Golden Girls, NewsRadio, Ally McBeal, and Lizzie McGuire, are among the television programs which have been filmed partially or fully at what is now Ren-Mar Studios, It became Ren-Mar Studios in 1974 - and 'JoeySoCal'- Lucy Lounge - '...January 2010, Ren-Mar Studios was bought by Red Digital Camera Company. The complex was re-named Red Studios Hollywood,'†posted this date in 2011.

Thanks to Claude & Joey, and let's keep the record as straight as we can....Fondly, JK

Sorry honey, but STRAIGHT is not in our vocabulary, LOL! That was incredibly nice of you to do that Joyce but as much as i appreciate it, it's not at all necessary, i was only joking when i said i wanted or expected CREDIT. Ok, let's see what we have here, first, they rented space at Motion Picture Center and filmed I Love Lucy's first seasons THERE, the studio was going bankrupt and Desi got a really good deal there, they tore down walls and rebuilt everything to FILM the TV show THERE. Later, when they bought RKO and renamed it Desilu Gower, they also got Desilu Culver City in the deal ad changed the name of the studio at Motion Picture Center to Desilu Cahuenga, RIGHT?

Sorry honey, but STRAIGHT is not in our vocabulary, LOL! That was incredibly nice of you to do that Joyce but as much as i appreciate it, it's not at all necessary, i was only joking when i said i wanted or expected CREDIT. Ok, let's see what we have here, first, they rented space at Motion Picture Center and filmed I Love Lucy's first seasons THERE, the studio was going bankrupt and Desi got a really good deal there, they tore down walls and rebuilt everything to FILM the TV show THERE. Later, when they bought RKO and renamed it Desilu Gower, they also got Desilu Culver City in the deal ad changed the name of the studio at Motion Picture Center to Desilu Cahuenga, RIGHT?

Happy to help and to keep the records straight....no matter what Grandpa says! lucythrill.JPG

Sorry for the pho.........pa....... tee hee

Whatever the copy was is how I typed it. I believe it came from Desilu 'history' on Wiki.... Guess I could go back and check - do we trust Wiki...???? Then, I went to the 'RED' Studio site, and added to yesterday's 'news' about the new name...provided in this LOUNGE, by Joey... jk

Sorry for the pho.........pa....... tee hee

Whatever the copy was is how I typed it. I believe it came from Desilu 'history' on Wiki.... Guess I could go back and check - do we trust Wiki...???? Then, I went to the 'RED' Studio site, and added to yesterday's 'news' about the new name...provided in this LOUNGE, by Joey... jk

No, i heard there's LOADS of mistakes in Wikipedia, is that the one where anybody can add anything? Factual or not? I got my version from Desi's book, unfortunately i wanted to know what happened after Lucy sold the studio (one of three) to Paramount thru the new owners Gulf and Western in '67. I guess Paramount only wanted the lot next to theirs to take down the fence and unite the HUGE block of buidings but divested itself of the other two, one too far away, Culver City which became SONY Columbia's home for Wheel of Fortune among others and Cahuenga which became Ren Mar, complicated life these studios, to say the least.

No, i heard there's LOADS of mistakes in Wikipedia, is that the one where anybody can add anything? Factual or not? I got my version from Desi's book, unfortunately i wanted to know what happened after Lucy sold the studio (one of three) to Paramount thru the new owners Gulf and Western in '67. I guess Paramount only wanted the lot next to theirs to take down the fence and unite the HUGE block of buidings but divested itself of the other two, one too far away, Culver City which became SONY Columbia's home for Wheel of Fortune among others and Cahuenga which became Ren Mar, complicated life these studios, to say the least.

Well, it does get a bit confusing considering they were all named, in part, "Desilu" so unless you're familiar with where each one is... So the one that WAS Desilu Gower back in the day (780 N. Gower -- should be a familiar address to latter-day (Hollywood episodes) TLS fans!) is the one absorbed into and is now part of Paramount since they were "next door" and Desilu Cahuenga (also, like Gower, named after the street it fronts) was home to ILL for the majority of its run, later home to Golden Girls and Seinfield (early episodes, before moving to CBS Radford in the valley) during its RenMar days and now just recently been renamed to Red Studios. Now I wonder if that's not so much a coincidence but a tribute somehow?? Hmmmmm.......

A great source -- much better than Wikipedia!! where nothing is verified as factual -- for this kind of stuff is Desilu: The Story of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz by Coyne S. Sanders and Tom Gilbert , which while not always "pretty" in its representation of Big Red, I have a feeling is pretty fair and accurate. Check it out.;)

Well, it does get a bit confusing considering they were all named, in part, "Desilu" so unless you're familiar with where each one is... So the one that WAS Desilu Gower back in the day (780 N. Gower -- should be a familiar address to latter-day (Hollywood episodes) TLS fans!) is the one absorbed into and is now part of Paramount since they were "next door" and Desilu Cahuenga (also, like Gower, named after the street it fronts) was home to ILL for the majority of its run, later home to Golden Girls and Seinfield (early episodes, before moving to CBS Radford in the valley) during its RenMar days and now just recently been renamed to Red Studios. Now I wonder if that's not so much a coincidence but a tribute somehow?? Hmmmmm.......

A great source -- much better than Wikipedia!! where nothing is verified as factual -- for this kind of stuff is Desilu: The Story of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz by Coyne S. Sanders and Tom Gilbert , which while not always "pretty" in its representation of Big Red, I have a feeling is pretty fair and accurate. Check it out.;)

EXACTLY why i BURNED my copy of that book, all right i didn't but i wanted to, those two jerks were ridiculously harsh and based their crap on disgruntled employees and people who fabricated more crap to help sell that damned book. Aw yes, those men who worked with her and just could not take this uppity WOMAN thinking she could actually RUN things, who the frig did she think she was?

A great source- much better than Wikipedia!! where nothing is verified as factual -- for this kind of stuff is Desilu: The Story of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz by Coyne S. Sanders and Tom Gilbert , which while not always "pretty" in its representation of Big Red, I have a feeling is pretty fair and accurate. Check it out.;)

Thanks, guys....I'm just trying to get it 'as correct as I can' - I also went to the new 'Red' Studio site, yesterday or the day before, and copied some dates, etc. I'll go BACK to Desilu: etc. - I started with that one, after filling in all ("I Love Lucy") entries, family dates, TV Guide covers, [all, mind you, at arrdubya's direction; it was, after all, in the beginning 2005, to have ONE thing, per day, for the year, to run on the Website, up and coming for January 2006; I worked feverishly, and the best way I knew how to do it, and keep myself sane, was to take all the books available to me; highlight ANY dates which showed month, day, and year; and add them to the chronology, trying to fill in every day of the year; when there were two that showed up for that DAY, I added that to my typing, as well.

Remember, of course, that some of my entries were put in in 2005; that's a long time ago; and I've been adding to, and editing, each day as I went along over the years, sometimes even removing entries and/or putting them in proper date(s), etc.

That's WHY finding THIS LOUNGE a few years back has helped me so much; live folks, with memories, and exhibits, and facts, is just wonderful - like travelling the world for interviews, which I would NEVER have the funds to do to complete this gigantic project....even post-arrdubya...tee hee

Keep 'em comin'....Love, JK

EXACTLY why i BURNED my copy of that book, all right i didn't but i wanted to, those two jerks were ridiculously harsh and based their crap on disgruntled employees and people who fabricated more crap to help sell that damned book. Aw yes, those men who worked with her and just could not take this uppity WOMAN thinking she could actually RUN things, who the frig did she think she was?

Claude, Dear: Go slower; you'll rupture 'something'....

Are you saying you think "Desilu:..." etc. should NOT be considered factual, as well? 'Splain' yourself....PLEASE!!!! Although, I suppose, we can EACH find non-factual 'stuff' if we choose to believe it.....

For instance, I, who am a Celoron native, never living outside the area for more than 13 months of my LONG life, have had people coming up to me and saying the worst things about Lucille - [who can't remember something risky from everyone's life as a child!!!!????]; one even going so far as to say SHE (Lucille) was holding the gun that shot the neighbor child!!!!

I, of course, disbelieve it, and said so; and years later, when Cleo was in town, and toured the house and yard, reinacted (even at her advanced age; approaching, quickly, 90) the scene, including falling into lilac bushes, I believe I was told, since I was NOT on scene - at least the spot where the lilac bushes once were growing in the yard, and told the whole story, which, to my knowledge was NEVER picked up by the press; but, is lovingly defensive of Lucille, since SHE (Cleo) was also there...and KNOWs the truth...

Now, the naysayers will say she was lying to 'cover up' and correct the p.r. of years gone by; but, I can't believe a 90-year-old would throw herself on the ground trying to 'clear ANYTHING up' for someone many-years deceased.

To tell you the truth, I'm not SURE who actually DID fire the gun accidentally, not knowing it was loaded; but, the PR says it was a houseguest, or relative, of the person who was shot! So, that's a whole OTHER story.

Only those still alive know for sure - those who were there - then, Freddie died after that, and now there is one less to tell what really happened...

Now, I'm about to burst something....tee hee.... JK

Claude, Dear: Go slower; you'll rupture 'something'....

Are you saying you think "Desilu:..." etc. should NOT be considered factual, as well? 'Splain' yourself....PLEASE!!!! Although, I suppose, we can EACH find non-factual 'stuff' if we choose to believe it.....

For instance, I, who am a Celoron native, never living outside the area for more than 13 months of my LONG life, have had people coming up to me and saying the worst things about Lucille - [who can't remember something risky from everyone's life as a child!!!!????]; one even going so far as to say SHE (Lucille) was holding the gun that shot the neighbor child!!!!

I, of course, disbelieve it, and said so; and years later, when Cleo was in town, and toured the house and yard, reinacted (even at her advanced age; approaching, quickly, 90) the scene, including falling into lilac bushes, I believe I was told, since I was NOT on scene - at least the spot where the lilac bushes once were growing in the yard, and told the whole story, which, to my knowledge was NEVER picked up by the press; but, is lovingly defensive of Lucille, since SHE (Cleo) was also there...and KNOWs the truth...

Now, the naysayers will say she was lying to 'cover up' and correct the p.r. of years gone by; but, I can't believe a 90-year-old would throw herself on the ground trying to 'clear ANYTHING up' for someone many-years deceased.

To tell you the truth, I'm not SURE who actually DID fire the gun accidentally, not knowing it was loaded; but, the PR says it was a houseguest, or relative, of the person who was shot! So, that's a whole OTHER story.

Only those still alive know for sure - those who were there - then, Freddie died after that, and now there is one less to tell what really happened...

Now, I'm about to burst something....tee hee.... JK

No, i'm not saying DESILU is not factual, i'm just saying those old stories of her being a BITCH to people like that moron thompson who never had anything good to say about her but she moved up from camera coordinator to director and then he proceeded never to get another job as one, that's how good he was, these people volunteer stories to book writers that they lie about distort or fabricate when all it was is the fact that they just could not take a woman in charge way back then when it was not common for women to do so.

Archived