Ricki Lake on meeting Lucy

Neil

I thought Lucy had stopped smoking years earlier.   People confuse "not nice" with not being overyly nice, but CHRIST!  There were 25 "stars of tomorrow".  People expected too much from a Lucy encounter.  She wasn't well and was uncomfortably weighted down with that heavy (but flattering) gown.

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

I thought Lucy had stopped smoking years earlier.   People confuse "not nice" with not being overyly nice, but CHRIST!  There were 25 "stars of tomorrow".  People expected too much from a Lucy encounter.  She wasn't well and was uncomfortably weighted down with that heavy (but flattering) gown.

There is an article from 1984 where she says that she gave up smoking due to finding out she was allergic to it. I don't know how long that lasted but she started again by 86' as I've heard of her smoking during LWL and other times as well. And I'm pretty sure I have photos of her with a cigarette in hand post 84'. 

Other than the "Stars of Tomorrow" number, the only other moment I've seen from Lucy at the Oscars is that press footage of her and Gary leaving where she flashes her leg at the crowd. From those two snippets alone, she seemed to be happy and in very good spirits. Maybe Ricki crossed paths with her before the number and Lucy was just nervous. But really? Let's not try and give her a salty post-mortem reputation. She certainly earned the right to not be "on" all the time. 

(Bad Joke: This Ricki certainly doesn't love Lucy.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

Other than the "Stars of Tomorrow" number, the only other moment I've seen from Lucy at the Oscars is that press footage of her and Gary leaving where she flashes her leg at the crowd. From those two snippets alone, she seemed to be happy and in very good spirits. Maybe Ricki crossed paths with her before the number and Lucy was just nervous. But really? Let's not try and give her a salty post-mortem reputation. She certainly earned the right to not be "on" all the time. 

(Bad Joke: This Ricki certainly doesn't love Lucy.)

There's some arrival footage on YouTube and she looks happy. Talked with Army Archard on the way in.

The leg kicking footage was actually at Chasen's where they went to eat after.

• Like 2

Loved the joke, Freddie!

Nobody comes off well in this video, IMO. Ricki sounds like a spoiled brat and Cohen's question was pure bait. And the offhand way she talks about Lucille dying a few weeks later, with such a dismissive tone of voice. Did it not occur to her she may not have felt her best that night?  Very disappointing, and of course the media will just exaggerate and distort this beyond recognition. 

• Like 2

It’s surprising that Ricki wasn’t more honored to be part of what became Lucy’s last TV appearance. But then again if you watch more of that interview, Ricki threw out a few tidbits that probably set some tongues wagging so perhaps she wanted to draw attention to herself. And that’s essentially the point of Watch What Happens Live anyway. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think Ricki's account of Lucy's attitude was probably right, considering all of the other stories told about that night- also taking into account Lee Tannen's description of her during this period . It seems as if she was a thoroughbred, professional, on time, and glamorous- but was still an older woman with many health concerns at this point- The transformation from Mrs Morton to Miss Ball seemed as if it was becoming more exhausting as she aged.