Executive Director - Lucy-Desi Center, Jamestown

Hoping I'm the first to announce the news that ... it was just announced on Jamestown's local Cable Channel 8 News, a new Executive Director has been named to the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center....YAY!!!!

Her name is Journey Gunderson, a locally-raised young woman from Bemus Point, New York, who has very impressive credentials. She was briefly interviewed and is hopeful 'Comedy' will remain a large part of the future of the area, and the continuing preservation of the memories of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz.

I shall post more in the morning when the newspaper arrives....

I wish her well. Joyce Kellogg

That's great! Has she been involved in the Centre before? That name is really familiar.

JOURNEY? Didn't she used to have a BAND that had quite a few HIT songs? Seriously, let's hope the third one is the charm and this one keeps the job a while and restores things to the greatness that was hoped for before.

JOURNEY? Didn't she used to have a BAND that had quite a few HIT songs? Seriously, let's hope the third one is the charm and this one keeps the job a while and restores things to the greatness that was hoped for before.

This one is NOT a long-time collector; NOT an author; assumably has NO aspirations other than the pure preserving of the memories of Lucille and Desi. JK

I will be adding the following, from the Jamestown Post-Journal today:

"Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center Names Executive Director - by Jason Rodriguez - 'A very special year at the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center has begun with the entrance of a new Executive Director.'

'I have a background in Internet marketing, and web strategy and production. which led me to work with Lucy-Desi on their website.'

'Ms. Gunderson has previously served the national non-profit Women's Sports Foundation as the executive director of its marketing communications department, and is a Bemus Point [western NY, bordering Jamestown] native. After years in NYC and a brief residence in Spain, Ms. Gunderson said she decided to return to Western NY to start up her own web constultant and strategy business.

Gunderson: '...I have seen there is untold amounts of interest that we haven't even tapped into yet...

'...what I want people to understand is that this is going to be a festival year for comedy lovers and Lucy [research note: Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz] fans alike.' '...shows the interest in Lucy and Desi is really substantial and even surprising...not an aging population by any means.'

'...showcase is a nod to the center's vision - to promote and develop comedy as an artform, in addition to preserving the legacy of Ball and Arnaz...'

'The milestones in the world of Lucy entertainment fit neatly with the county bicentennial celebration and other events planned for 2011, and we are going to depend on the community to all work together with us.'

Post-Journal: Plans are being drawn up for a memorable birthday celebration for the Queen of Comedy, since she would be 100 years old this August, as well as the 60th Anniversary of ("I Love Lucy")

Back from Kellogg, again: PLEASE SUPPORT THE LUCILLE BALL-DESI ARNAZ CENTER by joining as a member; ordering on-line from its Gift Centers; and come to Jamestown and support all the above....JK

From that article I really like her and am anxious to see what she has in store for the Center. Fingers crossed that she's a keeper!

And Joyce, I was thinking just the other day it's time to buy some new Lucy stuff so a visit to the Museum's site is certainly in order!

God Bless you, Robbie; a little about the on-line Gift Shop - in the early days, we reportedly approached a million-dollar sales per year - I should know; I did the filing, on a daily basis, from late 2002, for a couple of years.... unfortunate internal circumstances intervened, however, and folks were mistakenly 'informed' not to buy - many listened... it was 'wrong' information that was 'put forth'... JK

and....

MaryJaneFan: I'll try to remember to take the article to Office Max; have it copied; and will have it Valentine's Day....

Love, JK

God Bless you, Robbie; a little about the on-line Gift Shop - in the early days, we reportedly approached a million-dollar sales per year - I should know; I did the filing, on a daily basis, from late 2002, for a couple of years.... unfortunate internal circumstances intervened, however, and folks were mistakenly 'informed' not to buy - many listened... it was 'wrong' information that was 'put forth'... JK

and....

MaryJaneFan: I'll try to remember to take the article to Office Max; have it copied; and will have it Valentine's Day....

Love, JK

Robbie - Definitely buy up! Having been to Jamestown just a few weeks ago - the week of 12/20 to be exact - I learned that the Center is still waiting on its new web site to come through and they haven't done as many updates to the current one as a result. Merchandise came in during my visit that's available and for sale, but not posted. So, if there's something you're interested in but don't see it or if you're wondering what's new, maybe call the Center to ask.

The new ED sounds awesome and I am really impressed that she seems want to incorporate the "new comedy" stuff as well as the "Lucy" stuff. Having spoken with other festival attendees and fans, I think there are many of us (myself included) who appreciate the importance of the new comedy/mission and outreach aspect of the Center and its mission, but we don't want to lose the Lucy events/component as many of us go to Jamestown because we're Lucy fans and we want to go for Lucy stuff. If you haven't seen the Post-Journal's article, check it out.

Mary Jane Fan

• 2 years later...

The Sunday Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Women of Achievement Holds 16th Annual Awards Dinner - “The 16th Annual women of Achievement awards dinner was recently held. Five women were honored in the Business, Civic, Education, Government and Leader of the Future categories. Journey Gunderson, executive director, Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center for Comedy, has been selected as 'Leader of the Future',” published this date in 2013.

Archived