A Combustible Contingent Conundrum

Freddie2

Author's Note: Couldn't think of a less annoying title, so please excuse me.

So here's a hypothetical situation: One night, while you're on the computer pre-ordering your Criterion edition of Dance, Girl, Dance, a fire breaks out in your home! The ladies of Danfield's Volunteer Fire Brigade are able to save almost all of your valuables, loved ones, ceramic cats, etc. However, due to an ugly little story involving the feuding couple downstairs, you're in a full body cast. You realize that you only have the ability to salvage a couple of items from your Lucy collection before you hurtle yourself onto the awning below your bedroom window. What do you save?

My first pick would be a VHS tape that my grandma recorded off of TV Land for me at least 15 years ago, featuring "Ricky Gets an Agent" and a couple of other episodes- not to mention those nostalgic TV Land bumpers, early 2000s commercials, and even the last five minutes of an episode of Get Smart. For me, it makes me think of back when access to these shows was still fairly limited, and since we never had cable, friends and family would record classic shows and movies for me. The other item I'd take would be Michael McClay's book, which is one of the first pieces of Lucy merchandising I ever had; I could barely even read when I got it, but I loved looking through all of the pictures (especially behind-the-scenes photos that showed the layout of the soundstage) and imagining what the episodes I hadn't seen were like. It's been thumbed through so many times that the pages came unglued from the cover! 

So if you had to pick, what are a few items from your Lucy collection that you would save above all others?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

However, due to an ugly little story involving the feuding couple downstairs, you're in a full body cast.

It took me a minute before my brain registered Fred & Ethel Fight, and I thought you were describing your actual current circumstances!

Clever idea! If I had to pick and choose, I guess I'd toss the few Lucy dolls I collected out onto the awning, along with the original I Love Lucy DVDs with the full-color artwork. 

Given the bushfire threat we've been under, we still have emergency suitcases with valuables packed and ready. Maybe I'll learn from that and just pack up all my precious Lucy items into a padded suitcase to have waiting by the window at all times.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

Given the bushfire threat we've been under, we still have emergency suitcases with valuables packed and ready. Maybe I'll learn from that and just pack up all my precious Lucy items into a padded suitcase to have waiting by the window at all times.

I did think of your situation as I was typing up the idea; it’s crazy that it’s something you actually have to worry about. Hopefully things are more stable around your home!

On 16 February 2020 at 6:27 AM, Freddie2 said:

I did think of your situation as I was typing up the idea; it’s crazy that it’s something you actually have to worry about. Hopefully things are more stable around your home!

There's been a fair amount of rain lately that has helped bring the fires more under control. Our area was very lucky to be in the middle of it by and large; the most dangerous fires never got too close. I'm hoping the worst is behind us by now, but you never know in this country!

• Like 1